User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 21G Tow Vehicle

Hi everyone. First post here. My wife and I are looking to buy our first RV and the one we have decided on is the Momentum 21G. We have not bought it yet as I just started a new job but hopefully it is going to happen in the next two months. We found a 2022 model 20 miles from our house that is loaded except the generator. I wanted to post some specs for my truck and see if you all think it is ok, marginal, or unacceptable. I am not willing to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton. I would rather find another toy hauler that would work. I am a Class A truck driver so lots of heavy towing experience.
    My truck is a 2021 F-150 XL Supercrew, 6.5 foot bed, 3.55 gears, 3.5 Ecoboost, 400hp 500 ft lbs. 36 gallon tank. I just have the regular tow package with the trailer brake controller. It does not have max tow or max payload. Here are the specs for my truck.

GVWR. 7150
    GCWR. 16800
    Payload. 2008
    Max trailer weight. 11200
    Front GAWR. 3525
    Rear GAWR. 3800
    Hitch Tongue weight max with WD 1160
    Hitch Trailer weight max with WD 11600
    I have not scaled yet for curb weight.
    Total passenger weight is 650. I don’t have a toolbox or any add ons except tint. I will be carrying everything in the trailer on trips except us and some iPads.

The sticker on the 21G I am looking at is
    UVW 7026
    GVWR 11000
    I couldn’t find the tongue weight but my wife is stopping today to see if she can find out.

I do have an electric golf cart I will be taking everywhere and I will not be putting a generator in the box up front. I will be using a Honda EU 7000 that will be loaded in the garage and rolled out. The thing that concerns me the most is the tongue weight. I have read that it could be as much as 12-1300. For you guys hauling toys how much of that can be offset by loading the garage behind the axles? I think a tongue weight of 1000 is completely acceptable considering I have 1 ton of payload. I plan on running with the Water tanks empty Anyway I’m glad to be here and hopefully be a part of the GD family.
    Last edited by RAAK01; 08-25-2021 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Left out bed length

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 21G Tow Vehicle

Lightening the tongue is a recipe for disaster

You will be guaranteed to create a sway event

A thousand pounds will be less than 10 percent

TW needs to be heavy and your truck isn’t heavy enough imo

Post back when you actually weigh your truck with people ready to camp and you will see your payload is not close to what is advertised

Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I know the tongue weight needs to be 10% or more of gross but I don’t see me ever having 4K in the trailer. The 1000lb tongue weight I was referring to was if I was 9-10k gross. My golf cart weighs 850 and the generator is 250. That puts me at 8100 plus our personal items. Even if I did have the trailer at max gross with 1100 on the tongue I would still be in the limits. I understand what you are saying and I will go weigh the truck with a full tank of fuel and all 4 passengers to get my actual payload. I was just hoping that I can adjust payload enough with the items I have to get the tongue weight in check. I will be purchasing a tongue weight scale and using it before every trip.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 21G. GVWR on it is 9995. Tongue weight when it left the factory 1070 and a weight of 7430, but it does have a generator. These are tongue heavy and almost 13ft tall. Not really a half ton camper.
    2021 Momentum 21G
    2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the comments that the tongue is heavy. I’ve put our rhino in the cargo area and that reduces the tongue weight but then I noticed some additional sway, even on a one ton. It’s tough - trailer is a great setup but it’s borderline too heavy for a half ton. You’ll have more than enough HP and torque to pull it but that darn weight could make it tough on the truck

2020 GMC HD3500 Denali Duramax SRW
    2021 Momentum 21G

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow ours with a 2020 Silverado 2500 gas and it tows great. Have yet to put the Honda Pioneer 1000 in there so that might be another story.
    2021 Momentum 21G
    2020 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't pay attention to me... towing 30ft gd 24mpr toyhauler with 2020 expedition platinum suv. As long as don't drive 70mph+ in bad situations or have too long of a sustained deep grade descent..it tows fine. Wdh pushes 20% tongue weight back on trailer and carefully loading back of trailer near axles allows to target 12% tongue weight almost perfectly. Yeah, I do have to drive slow in rain/wind..and I can't really haul toys. But if can work for expedition...a perfectly spec'd max wheelbase f150 might be fine with small toyhauler...justvdepends on numbers and doing everything right and being careful when and how tow.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all the replies. Like I said I have been pulling trailers all my life but not a toyhauler or a weight distribution hitch. I think I’m gonna go for it and just drive like I normally do in an 18 wheeler. Correct speed for conditions and increase following distance. I got the max wheelbase truck and most powerful engine so I could do more with it. I almost got a 250 but I don’t think I would have been as happy with it for everyday driving. I can knock off 24 mpg with my truck if I drive it right. And it rides great. I will have to get rid of the p rated tires for some d or e range.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add a Helwig antisway bar to the rear axle of the truck.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will definitely look into that. Also, which wdh would y’all recommend for this application? The dealer wants to sell me a Recurve R3 hitch. I’m not familiar enough with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast