User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sub-freezing temps and any data on subfloor temps?

In the Reflection line, has anyone checked actual basement and underbelly temps at various sub-freezing temps to see how well the furnace keeps things heated?
    I know there are some variables to this such as actual temps, duration, and furnace temp setting, but for someone who intends to winter camp a bit I was wondering if anyone has collected data. I certainly will this winter if none out there with remote monitors by critical areas.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are many more variables including floorplan.

Last October we were in snowy, roughly 25 degree weather over several days. A couple of mornings the waterline to our kitchen was frozen. It thawed quickly without damage but I just pulled the coroplast to put a heater on that line. Maybe tank heaters too.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were full-time in a 337 for 4-1/2 years and wintered in sub-freezing temps several times. The weakness with the Reflection 337 is that it doesn't have a real layer of insulation on top of the Coroplast underbelly and only one small heat duct coming back to the kitchen island from the utility area of the basement. The kitchen water lines were prone to freeing - although, to be fair, this happened when temps were in the low 20s and teens with high winds. The main area of the basement usually never got below 45F; obviously, the rear part dropped below freezing. The situation improved a lot when I put pipe insulation (the split foam kind) on the kitchen water lines, lined the area where they laid on the Coroplast with better insulation underneath, and fixed the squashed heater duct to that area.

Tanks are the last things you need to worry about. Because of the mass of liquid in them, they will be the last things to freeze.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 08-27-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great temperature logger device that lets you read temp data over time. Perfect for this application. Govee Hygrometer Thermometer, Wireless Thermometer, Mini Bluetooth Humidity Sensor with Notification Alert, Data Storage and Export, 262 Feet Connecting Range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a multi-station thermometer to monitor my bays.

I also believe skirting makes a huge difference also.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all - will pick up the monitor with 3 remotes and watch this winter. Prob put on in basement, second back side of nautilus unit, third one deep in by kitchen lines. This weekend am taking basement wall out to install a hard wired PI surge protector/EMS unit, so will check out the lines, duct integrity - maybe add the items you mention, Rob. Thanks
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep the “outside” monitor for my weather station in the pass through right above the wet bay. When the furnace is running while in the 20-50 degree range outside the pass through is actually warmer then the living space. When the furnace is not running it is about the same temperature as the living area.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload