User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leveling Jacks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For long periods, I keep the center & rear retracted. I will auto level if I need to put the slides out. It's been a few years, but I think I read in owners manual, that for extended time in storage they should be retracted.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    For long periods, I keep the center & rear retracted. I will auto level if I need to put the slides out. It's been a few years, but I think I read in owners manual, that for extended time in storage they should be retracted.
    Thank you
    Jay
    Married to my High School Sweetheart 45 years, Two Children 5 Grandchildren
    Retired Police Captian with 39 years of service
    2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R Previuosly owned 2017 Coachman Class A 25ft Mirada Bunkhouse

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I manually extend the rear jacks until they hit the ground and then raise the frame an additional 2 inches. This takes the load off the tires and prevents sidewall damage from extended idle periods under load.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CVN Cheng View Post
    I manually extend the rear jacks until they hit the ground and then raise the frame an additional 2 inches. This takes the load off the tires and prevents sidewall damage from extended idle periods under load.
    Is this on a unit with AutoLevel? 4 point or 6 point? Or just stabilizers front and rear?

And just curious, what do you consider extended idle periods? Weeks, months?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    My understanding is rear should be retracted. If tires go flat, all the pressure won't be on the stabilizers.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much I agree.
    Jay
    Married to my High School Sweetheart 45 years, Two Children 5 Grandchildren
    Retired Police Captian with 39 years of service
    2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R Previuosly owned 2017 Coachman Class A 25ft Mirada Bunkhouse

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the auto level function but I generally just leave the front jacks at the hitch height and then manually put all 4 rear jacks down. Then take the load off the tires.
    The jacks are intended to support the entire weight of the trailer indefinitely. And when you auto level it takes most of the load off by itself. As far as extended, generally anytime I put it in storage, even for a week. When it's home, I typically have the slides out and the rig leveled but it's a habit I got into with my last 5th wheel and it seemed to work quite well from a tire longevity standpoint. I had a lot of issues with tires on prior trailers, even ones I installed new and thought I thought I was taking good care of. ST tires, from what I've read (on industry blogs, not just RV forums) tend to have shorter lifespans when left for long periods (months and months on end) carrying the weight of the trailer on the same spot in the tire. And the tires I was having issues with were Goodyear Endurance so it wasn't cheap no-name brands.

So my experience is with 5 years on my Montana 3400RL and just 18 months in my Solitude 390.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to open a can of worms here, but I found out quite by accident that I could lift all four wheels off the ground with the 6-leg hydraulic system on our 2016 Solitude. I have done so for the last two winters that we actually had to winterize (we left for Florida before the freeze). I know what everybody says, but I believe my tires cost more than one of the jack cylinders! I also had it off the ground for the time it took for me to install the Kodiak braking system as well. Don't shoot me!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems there is no firm direction on this point ……. hydraulic jacks up or down for storage. We to have a Solitude 5th and will be storing for 6 months, indoor, heated. My thought was to leave the jacks retracted and use 2 jack stands under the front frame. This would minimize the pressure in the jacks and lines over a longer period. Air up the tires and let her wait for our return. The tire focus is an interesting element. I would think the Cooper Work tires with 1000 plys would hold the weight without deforming or memory but I could be wrong. I can’t find anything specific in the manual and there are as many varied opinions out there as there are RV’s. Wish there was a definitive voice out there but appears whatever you choose is “right”.
    2021 Solitude 346FLS & 2021 F450 - Platinum 6.7 PS
    346FLS - Mods & Stuff - B&W Companion Hitch, TPS, RVLock, Magnum MS2812 Inverter, 4x Renogy 170AH Lithium Batteries, Progressive EMS HW50C, Splendide Combo W/D, and more to come!!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always just use the front stabilizers and keep the rear leveling legs retracted when storing. And yes the front stabilizer pads will rust if any water stands on or under them for any given time. On our 5er stabilizer jacks we have installed the SnapPad XTRA Jack Pads to help protect the stabilizers from rust on the bottom. They aslo provide a anti-slip surface when using leveling blocks as well.

https://rvsnappad.com/collections/all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast