User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leveling Jacks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Solitude 380FL. The Grand Design Owner's Manual is unequivocal on this issue. It states "DO NOT use the leveling legs during storage". The capitalized "DO NOT" is in the manual.

I don't know why. If you are full timing, you may have the jacks extended and loaded for months at a time. It may be a CYA on the frame warranty. If you had the jacks extended then "OOPs, not covered". It may be corrosion issues on the jack rams. I doubt it because the landing gear will be extended and the manual tells you to spray the exposed rams with a lubricant. I do know that the landing gear moves up and down a little bit, ± 1/4", with changes in temperature - 0° to 45°F - but not enough to be an issue.

It seems to me that leveling the coach would take stress off of the tires, wheel bearings, and suspension during long storage. I am going to call Grand Design and ask them why.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    We have a Solitude 380FL. The Grand Design Owner's Manual is unequivocal on this issue. It states "DO NOT use the leveling legs during storage". The capitalized "DO NOT" is in the manual.

I don't know why. If you are full timing, you may have the jacks extended and loaded for months at a time. It may be a CYA on the frame warranty. If you had the jacks extended then "OOPs, not covered". It may be corrosion issues on the jack rams. I doubt it because the landing gear will be extended and the manual tells you to spray the exposed rams with a lubricant. I do know that the landing gear moves up and down a little bit, ± 1/4", with changes in temperature - 0° to 45°F - but not enough to be an issue.

It seems to me that leveling the coach would take stress off of the tires, wheel bearings, and suspension during long storage. I am going to call Grand Design and ask them why.
    Thanks agreed
    Married to my High School Sweetheart 45 years, Two Children 5 Grandchildren
    Retired Police Captian with 39 years of service
    2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R Previuosly owned 2017 Coachman Class A 25ft Mirada Bunkhouse

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post

Tom Traveler - did you get an answer from Grand Design?
    Rick & Leslie
    2009 Chev 3500
    2021 Reflection 29RS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking my rams are aluminum. Owners manual directs me to rub them down with a silicon lube once a month. When I store the rig, I use the front rams only.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I'm thinking my rams are aluminum. Owners manual directs me to rub them down with a silicon lube once a month. When I store the rig, I use the front rams only.
    If they're hydraulic jacks, then the ram is hard-chrome plated steel. Most of the front stabilizers, as opposed to levelers, are partially aluminum.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123