User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I had a Progressive Industries EMS that measured low voltage and kept killing power to my unit. Fortunately, I had a meter to check and determined that there was an issue with my EMS. After seeing that my error code was low voltage and seeing the value that the EMS was reading was different than my meter; i did bypass my EMS for that trip.

To Progressive Industries' credit, they very quickly sent me a new unit. All they asked for was a picture of the old one with cable cut; no shipping anything even required. Was a VERY simple warranty process.
    What you did was the correct procedure.....checking/verifying voltage before bypassing. Lots and lots of people simply do not know how to do that and in that case, it really should not be bypassed. I always carry a meter with me also....in fact, I have one that I can check DC amperage also. That one is how I discovered the current flow on my hydraulic system when the pump was running for the slide and the leveling system. I had an OEM 50 amp breaker that was kicking out sometimes....turns out the pump motor pulls right at 70 amps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chad,
    Yes, I bypassed my Progressive Industries EMS as well. What I learned was when voltage drops below 104 volts, the EMS shuts power down until voltage returns to more than 104 volts. I just purchased a Hughes Autoformer that plugs in between power source and RV. It will boost voltage upto 10%. Going to test it out this week.. Fingers crossed.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't cleaned it up yet but this is how I have it hooked up. If I have a problem with one of the units I can just bypass it by changing what plugs in where. Having the autoformer permanently wired in is so much easier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	36368
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    This season it has always been leg 2 that causes my EMS to shut down the electrics. And it has only been for a few seconds that I the power goes too low. When this happens I check to see why there was shutdown. Every time it has been leg 2 that is low - every time.

snip

A number of times I have measured at the power pole and found (and have reported before) that it always seems to be leg 2 that goes low. And I find that the 30 amp receptacle always has the same low voltage. So my conclusion is that panels use leg 2 for the 30 amp receptacle as a default. I'm not sure why they aren't split between leg 1 and leg 2.
    I suspect engineer/electrician habits are to blame. The 20A and any nearby lighting might be on one side, 30A other side.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    To each their own I guess. Personally, I wouldn't leave home without it. All it takes is one lightning strike/power surge and the possibility of many/most of your electrical equipment in the trailer is toast. I probably have a bit of an advantage over some folks though, having been an Electrician since 1980, I'm very familiar with the effects/damage that can happen during lightning strikes and power surges.
    I never used an EMS in my previous 30 amp trailers. Now that I have a trailer wired for 50 amps I too would be uncomfortable traveling without it. Like you I carry a digital multimeter and was able to confirm the issue the one time my EMS has blocked low voltage.

I have a Progressive Industries EMS but did not realize it would help in the event of a lightning strike. To me that is a different event from a power surge. Time and extreme voltage being the difference.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    I suspect engineer/electrician habits are to blame. The 20A and any nearby lighting might be on one side, 30A other side.
    Good thought, Rick. The next time I measure I think I'll check the 20 amp duplex receptacle too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Not to sound too chastising, but why have the EMS if you unplug it when it does what it's supposed to do? What was the voltage showing? Low voltage is very hard on
    AC compressors, and other electronic stuff. It's not going to explode, but it will shorten the life of the components.
    i agree
    it is there for a reason, bypassing it is throwing its protection out the window
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my ems shut down power due to low voltage about 10 times over the last couple years. On older parks most of the original parks were built on a single circuit 30 amps and 50 amps many times an added 2nd new circuit without switching by daisy chaining the old 30 amp circuits so that side takes most of the load during peak times like 4th of July or labor day weekend.
    I did once run into one leg dropping to less than 10 volts due to a bad park panel. If it had not been for the ems that would have caused damage undoubtedly. Considering the cost of a new 15 ton ac/heat pump coleman mach 3 ill take a hard pass on the by pass. Ymmv
    2019 Solitude 377MBSR
    2018 RAM 3500 LB dually CC 4x4 deisel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    ...Anyone else ever run into a situation where you had no choice but to bypass it?...
    We have had the EMS take us offline for;
    1-a bad ground (corroded pin) that was easily remedied
    2-Voltage too high (Storage lot)
    3-Voltage too low (Storage lot)

In all three cases the issue didn't affect us in any meaningful way. LOL...this is our 3rd trailer in that storage lot and the first one with an EMS installed. It had been happening to the prior two trailers for years...I was just none the wiser. However, I did have neighbors in that storage lot that gave me lots of business chasing electrical gremlins in their trailers (microwave, converter, etc)...I just never knew it was our lot doing the damage.

I have often wondered how this would play out if it happened to us while out on the road. Think about it, landing after a long day's drive...ready to get things set up and relax then the EMS takes you off line. I can tell you now it would be VERY unlikely the wife would consider moving...I use www.campgroundreviews.com to select parks and look closely for power issues in the comments...hopefully that will save me the grief.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t use one on my 2008 Jayco. Went 13 years without a problem. I actually didn’t even know about surge protectors and EMS’s until we bought our 5th wheel and I started reading these forums. I guess I think spending $350 for a Progressive unit is pretty cheap insurance to protect a 50k fifth wheel. I think this is the last rig we will ever buy and I’m not taking unnecessary chances.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast