User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to bypass my EMS.......Anyone else have to?

So we were camping this past weekend and I did what I swore i would never do....I bypassed my EMS unit. Got to the campground and plugged in and I couldn't even get 1 AC to stay on. Spoke to my neighbour and he was having the same issues except he didn't have a bypass option on his motorhome EMS. He told me the campground told him the power draw was so high that weekend that the amperage drop was enough to trip the EMS units. It was so bad the campground was refuelling his generator for him and allowed him to run it in the park (was pretty quiet though).

I swore i would never do it and the manual says not to but they do give you the option of bypassing it. I ended up doing just that and ran all weekend with both AC's running and the trailer went from 90 degrees to low 70s in no time. Anyone else ever run into a situation where you had no choice but to bypass it? I was watching the weather and had any storms been rolling in I would have just unplugged the RV from the pedestal.

CS
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to sound too chastising, but why have the EMS if you unplug it when it does what it's supposed to do? What was the voltage showing? Low voltage is very hard on
    AC compressors, and other electronic stuff. It's not going to explode, but it will shorten the life of the components.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By bypassing the EMS and allow it to continue to supply power to your rig, you have like caused at least some damage to the electrical components in the rig. The EMS didn't take you off line because of an amperage "drop", it took you off because the campground as a whole was using enough power (amperage) that it caused a voltage drop to the incoming power at the park. It's a "Catch 22".....the increased demand for power at the park can cause a voltage drop. Then, the voltage drop causes even more current draw. Then more current draw causes even more of a voltage drop.....it's like a self perpetuating cycle. The problem with operating motors on low voltage is the increased current through the device. The increased current causes the device to heat up more than it would normally and that "overheating" will cause the insulation on the motor windings to start deteriorating and eventually break down sooner than if it never happens. In other words, it will shorten the life of motors, some electronics, but rarely heating elements, as they are generally speaking, not insulated anyway.

Personally, I would never bypass the EMS unless I could verify via a meter that there was not an issue with the incoming power, and in fact was an issue with the EMS itself.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last trailer I bought new in 2014 never had an EMS and nothing ever happened
    All kinds of people use their trailers without protection
    I wouldn’t worry about it

Glad you enjoyed your trip

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    My last trailer I bought new in 2014 never had an EMS and nothing ever happened
    All kinds of people use their trailers without protection
    I wouldn’t worry about it

Glad you enjoyed your trip

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    To each their own I guess. Personally, I wouldn't leave home without it. All it takes is one lightning strike/power surge and the possibility of many/most of your electrical equipment in the trailer is toast. I probably have a bit of an advantage over some folks though, having been an Electrician since 1980, I'm very familiar with the effects/damage that can happen during lightning strikes and power surges.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply view the EMS as insurance, you never need it until you need it.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    To each their own I guess. Personally, I wouldn't leave home without it. All it takes is one lightning strike/power surge and the possibility of many/most of your electrical equipment in the trailer is toast. I probably have a bit of an advantage over some folks though, having been an Electrician since 1980, I'm very familiar with the effects/damage that can happen during lightning strikes and power surges.
    Don’t think being an electrician gives you any advantage. I am aware of the effects low voltage and lightening strikes can have. It just is a very very rare thing to happen
    I would guess the majority of campers do not use anything
    I do have one on this trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess that the majority of campers don't have flat tires either, but they do happen. Maybe more frequently than you realize.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I would guess that the majority of campers don't have flat tires either, but they do happen. Maybe more frequently than you realize.
    That is why they have spares

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Don’t think being an electrician gives you any advantage. I am aware of the effects low voltage and lightening strikes can have. It just is a very very rare thing to happen
    I would guess the majority of campers do not use anything
    I do have one on this trailer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Rare? We have experienced voltage drops severe enough to damage equipment on at least 8 occasions (different places), spikes and rapid cycling due to faulty park equipment once, a transformer for the park knocked off its foundation by a piece of heavy equipment causing a grid "blowout" once, and three lightening strikes within 1/4 mile (all of which caused brown-outs, then black-outs, then spikes coming back on)... all this in six years. Without the EMS, we would have been out thousands of dollars in appliances and electronic equipment.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast