User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I had a Progressive Industries EMS that measured low voltage and kept killing power to my unit. Fortunately, I had a meter to check and determined that there was an issue with my EMS. After seeing that my error code was low voltage and seeing the value that the EMS was reading was different than my meter; i did bypass my EMS for that trip.

To Progressive Industries' credit, they very quickly sent me a new unit. All they asked for was a picture of the old one with cable cut; no shipping anything even required. Was a VERY simple warranty process.
    We were dealing with a similar issue all last week. Our Progressive EMS was kicking us off showing a low voltage code. But checking the voltage at the post showed one leg at about 118 and the other at 108/109. Does this indicate a malfunction with my EMS? I did not bypass. I just ran the generator during the peak demand periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note--the hard wired versions have a procedure to "calibrate" the display with the line voltage if necessary. I believe the instructions are in the manual but found them on another forum.

Google Progressive <insert model number here> calibration procedure
    Last edited by bjlakatos; 09-01-2021 at 04:05 PM. Reason: remove link to other forum

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    We were dealing with a similar issue all last week. Our Progressive EMS was kicking us off showing a low voltage code. But checking the voltage at the post showed one leg at about 118 and the other at 108/109. Does this indicate a malfunction with my EMS? I did not bypass. I just ran the generator during the peak demand periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most likely by the time you measured at the pole the voltage was back up over 104VAC. And with a low voltage of 108 VAC it wouldn't take much to drop it to 104 or less for a second and trip the EMS.

As many times as I've measured at the pole after a failure it has never been 104 or less. Just really, really low.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I had never ran one before, including 4 years on our previous Solitude. I did have a autoformer that I probably used 2 or 3 times when the voltage was low.

That being said I'm sure I was on borrowed time. On our new unit I "hardwired" in a Hughes watchdog and the autoformer in the front basement. I say "hardwired" because I used the portable units so I can easily bypass one or both units if something goes wrong with either. It does happen, my dad's hardwired EMS went bad while on a trip.
    My understanding is the autoformer may try to increase your voltage, but because it draws more amperage, you cause more issues for everyone else by dropping voltage. They never made sense to me. More than once, we've been in parks where RVs with autoformers ended up smoking the plug at the pedestal because of low voltage in the park. Personally I have several options...3400 Watt inverter/generator, 315 amps of lithium battery or leave. Depends on how hot it is (AC get inverter) how long we want to stay (lithium/solar) or leave.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have come to severe distrust of Hughes.

I don't own one, but I closely reviewed their website and marketing materials. They make some deeply flawed statements, both on engineering and about the electrical code. The electrical code has banned them for years for good and sound reasons. It's time that ban was enforced!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It just is a very very rare thing to happen
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Let me tell you how rare it is.

We installed a Progressive EMS on our last two RVs & within the next few years we had 3 incidents where the RV park power was rejected, each would have damaged our RV.

I hope bad RV park power continues to be a rare occurrence for you.

Happy camping,
    Dave
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the age of many RV parks/campgrounds out there, it is not surprising that folks will encounter low voltage at their campsite. Many of them were built when a "large" camper was 30' long and had a 30A service coming into it. That 30' camper didn't have 3 A/C units, microwaves, fireplaces, large water heaters, and washer/dryers in them. Most of them operated just fine on a 30A 120VAC power supply at the pole. Even the newer campgrounds sometimes will cut costs when they are building them and do just enough to pass electrical inspections and to save cost of installing electrical services that are not taxed when the campground is full. So if you combine all of those previously mentioned factors, plus the popularity of camping now, plus maybe an extended "heat wave" scenario, you can see why folks are now having to deal with low voltage at some campgrounds. And the only safe way to deal with this is to have a device (an EMS) that will take your trailer offline from the dangerously low voltage when it occurs. Your trailer going offline of the electrical grid is an inconvenience for sure......but burning up/destroying the electrical devices in your trailer is an even BIGGER inconvenience.....and certainly a lot more costly for repair/replacement of those devices.

As I stated before, to each their own on your decision to have or not have that protection, just be aware or the possible results and then live with your decision....it's really that simple.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If campgrounds supplied the power they are supposed to then none of this would be on issue, PERIOD. Even EMS would be relegated to surge protection and would be a lot simpler. Instead some have neglected, overbuilt, oversold, etc. and have caused this problem. Autoformers are not the problem, only a protection against neglected/under built systems that are not just an inconvenience but a major issue that costs a lot of money to fix if high current appliances are run at below acceptable voltage.

There are plenty of other ways campgrounds can make sure that everyone has enough power besides upgrading the infrastructure. Change 50 amp sites back to 30, each one would make 70 additional amps available for everyone else. Put in smaller breakers, cut everyone's available power. Eliminate sites, etc. But everyone one of those would require them to be honest about the state of their electrical infrastructure or not be able to charge more for 50 amp sites they can't supply anyway. Can't allow that, nope the SOP is to sell everything and push the problems onto the customers. Ban the autoformer, its bad, it steals power from everyone else. Bullxxxx No matter what the autoformer does/doesn't do it cannot use more power than the the breaker allows, period. So if I an paying for a 30/50 amp service than that is what we are allotted. The autoformer does not allow you to exceed that. All I'm doing is giving up some of my available amps to keep the voltage at an acceptable level. How is it wrong to expect to use the service I paid for. Now If I changed the breaker for more power(or used both the 50/30 AND the 20 in the box which I have seen done quite a bit) that I can see having an issue with.

120 volts is the US STANDARD. Its what should be expected. I have never seen a campground listing stating 20/30/50 amp at 100v available. Just 20/30/50 amp options and you pay more for more available power. If they cant supply that power at the standard 120v (within the acceptable variation of 114 to 126) or at the very least disclose the fact that you are not getting the US standard voltage/power then that is on them, not me. If there is an unexpected issue then I will absolutely do my part. I have a generator and a bunch of lithium so I can pull off the grid to help out if needed.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here, but it is my understanding, for example, that if your running AC at a lower voltage it is pulling more amps than if it was running at normal voltage. Sounds like the same issue to me, other than I'm not burning up my AC to get it.

Can/should a campground be able to ban them, Absolutely! I will gladly bypass mine with 2 conditions. 1, they supply me with the 20/30/50 amp service at 120v expected or they fully disclose what level of power I can expect so I can decide if its acceptable to run my trailer at that level. Otherwise if your not holding you part of the bargain why should we be expected to
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post

As I stated before, to each their own on your decision to have or not have that protection, just be aware or the possible results and then live with your decision....it's really that simple.
    I am quite sure everyone including the OP feels the protection is important and worth it but when the alternative would be to cancel everything and pack up and leave (which could be hundreds of miles) overriding it is a viable option that I myself would have done
    If it shortens the life of something oh well

The A/C unit is the only thing worth worrying about imo

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    If campgrounds supplied the power they are supposed to then none of this would be on issue, PERIOD. Even EMS would be relegated to surge protection and would be a lot simpler. Instead some have neglected, overbuilt, oversold, etc. and have caused this problem. Autoformers are not the problem, only a protection against neglected/under built systems that are not just an inconvenience but a major issue that costs a lot of money to fix if high current appliances are run at below acceptable voltage.

There are plenty of other ways campgrounds can make sure that everyone has enough power besides upgrading the infrastructure. Change 50 amp sites back to 30, each one would make 70 additional amps available for everyone else. Put in smaller breakers, cut everyone's available power. Eliminate sites, etc. But everyone one of those would require them to be honest about the state of their electrical infrastructure or not be able to charge more for 50 amp sites they can't supply anyway. Can't allow that, nope the SOP is to sell everything and push the problems onto the customers. Ban the autoformer, its bad, it steals power from everyone else. Bullxxxx No matter what the autoformer does/doesn't do it cannot use more power than the the breaker allows, period. So if I an paying for a 30/50 amp service than that is what we are allotted. The autoformer does not allow you to exceed that. All I'm doing is giving up some of my available amps to keep the voltage at an acceptable level. How is it wrong to expect to use the service I paid for. Now If I changed the breaker for more power(or used both the 50/30 AND the 20 in the box which I have seen done quite a bit) that I can see having an issue with.

120 volts is the US STANDARD. Its what should be expected. I have never seen a campground listing stating 20/30/50 amp at 100v available. Just 20/30/50 amp options and you pay more for more available power. If they cant supply that power at the standard 120v (within the acceptable variation of 114 to 126) or at the very least disclose the fact that you are not getting the US standard voltage/power then that is on them, not me. If there is an unexpected issue then I will absolutely do my part. I have a generator and a bunch of lithium so I can pull off the grid to help out if needed.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong here, but it is my understanding, for example, that if your running AC at a lower voltage it is pulling more amps than if it was running at normal voltage. Sounds like the same issue to me, other than I'm not burning up my AC to get it.

Can/should a campground be able to ban them, Absolutely! I will gladly bypass mine with 2 conditions. 1, they supply me with the 20/30/50 amp service at 120v expected or they fully disclose what level of power I can expect so I can decide if its acceptable to run my trailer at that level. Otherwise if your not holding you part of the bargain why should we be expected to
    You are absolutely correct.....lower voltage will result in higher amperage on the device. On things such as electric motors, the windings inside the motor are insulated with a varnish type insulation to keep them from shorting out the windings. And of course the motor is rated to operate at a certain temperature, based on the winding's insulation capabilities. The higher current flowing through the motor windings, if it is high enough, will start overheating the motor and windings and cause the insulation to start breaking down. It's not very likely it will cause the motor death on the first time it happens, but it is something that will never heal or correct itself until finally the motor will fail (windings short out) and let the smoke out. Of course on an A/C unit, those are hermetically sealed units with the motor/compressor all in one container, so it's then time for a new compressor or in most cases a new A/C unit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast