Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange 12V Issue

So broke camp this morning. Turned the fridge on propane and fired up. After driving 4 hrs or so, checked the listen for the fridge at a truck stop and wasn't running. Assumed it was out of propane and switched tanks. Nothing. Went inside and no power to the fridge or lights. Was 1/2 hour from next camp so figured I would plug into shore power and see what happens. Got to the next camp and Level-Up system worked fine not hooked to the truck or shore power. Plugged in shore power and went inside. No fridge, lights or slides. After a minute, heard a peep like something reset, and everything came back on without me doing anything.

Any ideas?
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a bad converter

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the battery disconnect switch, it may be off. It doesn't shut everything off, like the leveling system, emergency brake, and several small items. Hence why your battery can go dead over time (although yours didn't). But it would prevent power to many things in the camper. Meanwhile, the converter when plugged into shore power also powers the 12v system. So perhaps when you were at the last site and turned on the fridge, you were still plugged into shore power. Then you unplugged, and because of the switch, 12v was cut. Then came back when you plugged into shore again. Meanwhile, your battery is not being charged with the switch off....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fridge did run for awhile after being disconnected from shore power. OEM battery disconnect is always left on. I installed my own full disconnect which is the only one I used. Come to think of it, wonder if the OEM one was knocked by something in the basement. Will check later after it stops raining here in the Wisconsin Dells.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved. A chair or my grill table bumped the OEM battery disconnect to move it still from the on position. Interesting that the off position has a detent and you can remove the key. The on position doesn't have either. Guess I'll look into moving the factory disconnect out of harms way, or add a thermostat type cover to prevent it from moving slightly away from the on position.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Problem solved. A chair or my grill table bumped the OEM battery disconnect to move it still from the on position. Interesting that the off position has a detent and you can remove the key. The on position doesn't have either. Guess I'll look into moving the factory disconnect out of harms way, or add a thermostat type cover to prevent it from moving slightly away from the on position.
    Still doesn’t explain why when connecting to shore power you had nothing per your description for quite a bit of time
    When I supply shore power the trailer comes alive immediately

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had the delay before. I'm going to assume the minute or two delay was due to the batter disconnect being knocked from the on position. Don't know if it expects the see the battery and fire up the converter to charge it. After it doesn't sense it, it bypasses the battery charge. Don't know but seems like that is what it did. Otherwise, every other time I connect to shore power, by the time I get inside to work the slides, all 12V is alive and ready to go.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, when I found the issue, once I put the key to the fully on position, you could hear the converter/charger fire up inside the basement. I assume that noise is just the battery charger because 12V to everything else was already on. Turn key to off and the noise stops again.