User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped by police, never heard the siren.

While driving home from a trip in North Texas pulling my 3170BH behind my 17' Diesel F250, I was stopped by Collin Co. Sheriff's Dept. and cited for failure to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle. The officer told me that they had been behind me on an emergency call with lights and sirens running for over a mile before abandoning the emergency call and attempting to pull me over because I "refused to get out of the way". This took place on a four lane road (Hwy 380 east of Mckinney, Tx) with little traffic. I never heard a siren and the officer was so close to the back of my trailer that I couldn't see him at all. I only became aware of his presence when he pulled out slightly into the left lane to allow me to see him in my mirror with lights flashing. According to my dash cam data I was running 5-10 mph under the speed limit the entire time. I asked the officer why they didn't pass me on the left and he stated that they aren't allowed to change lanes to pass when on an emergency call because of "speeds involved" or something along those lines. Has anyone else had a similar experience of not being able to hear a siren while towing? The truck is quiet, but I never thought it was so quiet I'd be unable to hear a siren behind me.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped by police, never heard the siren.

Sirens are almost useless tbh

Sounds like a typical ego cop
    There is no way that what he said is policy. Just stupid

I would go waste his day and meet him in court and have the judge throw it out

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Last edited by NB Canada; 08-27-2021 at 05:10 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    abandoning the emergency call and attempting to pull me over because I "refused to get out of the way" He abandoned an emergency call to give you a ticket???
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fishy to me also.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said that he abandoned the emergency call because he couldn't past me to go to the call. The left lane was devoid of traffic the entire time. I feel for anyone who ever has a real emergency in that area if that's the level of effort you get from the first responders! This was a sergeant too.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The court idea is a good one. It at least gets an idiot off the road for a day. Texas small town Sheriff Depts are not famous for hiring the brightest and the best.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    abandoning the emergency call and attempting to pull me over because I "refused to get out of the way" He abandoned an emergency call to give you a ticket???
    The first thing I thought as well.
    The kind of leo that makes cops look bad.

And if you pointed out the seeming stupidity of abandoning the 'emergency'?.........
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 08-27-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should do the court appearance. I'd ask to see the written policy where they cant change lanes. I've been in plenty of places where I've seen various emergency vehicles change lanes with lights and sirens on. And then to abandon an emergency because you can't change lanes....sounds VERY believable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like BS to me too. Really doubt the changing lanes thing, if two lane maybe, but not four.

If you go to court be sure to make the point about visibility with him too close behind. Maybe a picture representing your view with a car back there.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a cop not a Police Officer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast