User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine XLS 21 BHE axles

I bought a used 2019 Imagine 21 BHE last October and made about 1500 miles since . I noticed last week the tires in the back where used in the inside on both sides. I thought they were deflated . I checked and I was a 60 lbs , the max is 65lbs , so I added 5 lbs. I made another trip of 400 miles and noticed the were even used more. I went the my local dealer to have this checked out. They said the the axles were bent (due to over weight) close to the tires which caused my tire issue. They checked the stricker on the axle and by that number they were able to know the maximum load on the axles, which is 2500lbs x 2 that's 5000lbs. The trailer weighs in at 4500 UVM from the manufacturer. Meaning no propane tanks, no nothing inside... WOW. It's very easy to go over weight as you all know.

GD has put a axles that are very limit to the max weight UVW of the trailer. My extended warranty does not over this ,GD says it's over the 1 year warranty so they said call Dexter saying it's the axle manufactuer who is responsible .

So I'm stuck with Dexter and will see what they are willing to do since they warranty 5 years on them... will let you know how this turns out. But then again if Dexter replaces them they will put the 2500lbs axles...

But for know what I'm saying here is that GD has put or are still putting weak axles on this model and are prone to tire issues. They should have put 3500 lbs axles.

I must say that when we bought it from the first owner the tires were perfect and we also check them when we got home which is a 500 mile trip and they were ok. So it wasn't the original owner that has put too much weight inside the trailer and it wasn't me neither.

This is telling me that the axles are too limit, so be ware of this.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 21bhe came with 3000lb dexter axles (one of which bent earlier this year). Dexter has discontinued the 3000lb axles and offered to ship me 2 new 3500lb axles with new springs and drum brakes. I ended up going thru an axle shop and replaced with 2 new 3500lb dexter axles with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Total cost, including disc brake conversion, was about 3400. Dexter has supposedly agreed to partially reimburse me for just the cost of the axles and a couple hours labor for installation but I have yet to see a check.

The axles come from dexter with a sticker on the axle that gives its capacity. My guess is that you the same 3000lb axles that came on mine but those are still undersized in my opinion.

Good luck

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Dexter to have the axle changed since they have a 5 year warranty but because I'm the second owner they will not honor the warranty, this is ridiculous. Their axles aren't strong enough for this trailer one way or the other and they.re using the policy of second owner and for that matter GD too.

Anyway should I be changing the axle that has an issue with the same max weight od 2500lbs or should I choose to change both for 3500lbs?
    Last edited by RobertJ; 09-10-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine XLS 21 BHE axles

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post
    I called Dexter to have the axle changed since they have a 5 year warranty but because I'm the second owner they will not honor the warranty, this is ridiculous. Their axles aren't strong enough for this trailer one way or the other and they.re using the policy of second owner and for that matter GD too.

Anyway should I be chgimg the axle that has an issue with the same max weight od 2500lbs or shouls I choose to change both for 3500lbs?
    It is an industry standard that warranties are for the first owner only. This shouldn’t have been a surprise
    If it were me I would upgrade them both as well as wet bolt kits

Goodluck

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed this as well with our 2019 2800BH model we purchased used this year, the back axles are bent. I need to see how well our portfolio extended warranty will work with this. I would pay the extra for larger sized axles for sure if you can swing it. Either way, this is such a better unit that our Crossroads Z218td we had, annoyance for sure. I can change it myself if need be next year, just enjoying it this Fall before diving in.

Anyone else have an extended warranty from portfolio that has made the claim with? I hear so long as you follow the correct protocol it went well, just not positive. Fingers crossed..
    2019 Imagine 2800BH “Chaos”
    2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Power “Nessy”

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is after 3 trips, 650 miles on the tires. Driver side rear axle tire. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0916211435.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	36727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0916211436.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	36728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0916211436a.jpg 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	36729

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    2019 Imagine 2800BH “Chaos”
    2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Power “Nessy”

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ View Post

Anyway should I be changing the axle that has an issue with the same max weight od 2500lbs or should I choose to change both for 3500lbs?
    I would definitely go with the 3500 lb axles as my 21bhe had 3000lb axles and still bent and if you can stand the extra cost go with disc brakes. I just did this and the disc brakes work so much better. With 2500lb axles you would definitely be overloaded. My 2020 unit has a dry weight of nearly 4700 lbs and even though we travel very light with no water in the tanks my trailer weighs 5500 when loaded for a week long trip.

I believe GD now uses 3500lb axles on the 21bhe as Dexter has discontinued the 3000lb axles and GD now specs the GVW at 6400 lbs where as my 2020 GVW is 5900lbs.