User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    I don't see these Swagman models mentioned much because everybody seems to be focused on the platform type racks vs. the hanging racks. The Swagman 3-bike and 4-bike Original models are solid and are approved the rear of an RV. We bought the 4-bike model, even though we only transport two e-bikes weighing about 50 pounds each. The 4-bike model has the least amount of bolted together parts and is rock solid tubular steel. We use a top-bar spanner for each bike then bungee cords to keep the bikes from swaying or bumping each other. We also use the anti-rattle hitch assist that is mentioned above.

I did not like the hardware that was provided to secure the hitch to the receiver. So I went to our local Ace Hardware and found a longer bolt that threaded all the way through the nut welded to the inside of the hitch and stuck out the other side of the hitch. So I run the longer bolt through the interior nut then use a second nut with a lock washer on the outside of the hitch to further lock down the hitch inside the receiver. This way the set bolt will never be able to wiggle loose from road vibration. That set-up plus the anti-rattle device make the hitch very stable.

In addition to lower cost for the hitch, I like the sleekness of the hanging hitch vs. the platform hitches. When we put the RV into storage, I can take the Swagman off and store it in my garage leaning against a wall. The narrow profile takes up very little space compared to the bulky platform hitches.

The main drawaback is the bit of extra work required to load the heavy bikes. You have to fully pick up the entire bike and rest the spanner on the rack vs. the two-step loading (front wheel followed by rear wheel) that many use for the platform racks.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9651_200369651
    https://www.google.com/search?q=swag...s%2C111&sr=8-6
    There is no way I'd consider carrying the two ebikes that we are getting by hanging them from a rack AND using an artificial top tube to let them hang on. Those top tubes also have a weight rating and most of them (not all), simply are not sturdy enough for an ebike like the Aventon Aventure (~73 lbs). I will have two of the top tubes for our bikes also, as they are both step through models....but the stop tube will not be holding the weight of the bike, they will simply be an attachment to pull the bike down securely into the platform rests and to keep them from moving back and forth. YMMV.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked and the top tube spanner model that we have is not recommended for over 35 pounds. So thanks for the heads up on that point. We will have to look for spanners with a greater weight rating or come up with some other solution. My bike is about 52 lbs and my wife's bike is about 48 lbs. So ours are a good bit lighter than your Aventon at 73 lbs. Nonetheless, I don't want to take the risk of leaving the bikes on the road due to a spanner failure.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS
    2003 F350 Supercab V10 Longbed
    Pullrite Superlite (like Anderson)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like we would need these HyperMax spanners to be within specs for weight:https://smile.amazon.com/HYPERAX-Bik...%2C109&sr=8-13
    2017 Reflection 29 RS
    2003 F350 Supercab V10 Longbed
    Pullrite Superlite (like Anderson)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSimon View Post
    With our 310 GK I found that there is a space between the island the couch when the slides are in. I built a rack that the bikes sit on nested with the wheels off and they are secure and safe from the weather.
    Ours travel inside the trailer also. One in living room and one in bedroom.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like we would need these HyperMax spanners to be within specs for weight:https://smile.amazon.com/HYPERAX-Bik...%2C109&sr=8-13
    That the ones I'm getting. I was going to post up and let you know that those have a higher rating than most, but it looks like you already found them! Hypermax had a "special" on Amazon when I purchased my rack last night. You could get just the rack by itself, or they had a package for the rack and ONE of the cross bars included, and another package deal with the rack and TWO cross pieces included. We did the rack and two cross pieces. Adding in the two cross pieces was only $50 more, rather than the $49/each price if purchased separately. It should be here next week on Wednesday, along with the bike and rear cargo rack, and the hitch clamp to help stabilize the bike carrier. Got to get a couple of mirrors for the new bikes too. I had to stick my credit card in some ice water to cool it off!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpocket View Post
    Ours travel inside the trailer also. One in living room and one in bedroom.
    I made a bike rack for our Momentum in the garage, weather protected of course and not out for prying eyes to see. After our trip out west this past September, I found it to be a royal pain in the butt because we not only took the bikes and the cart for our dog to ride in, we also took the Can Am Spyder so the garage was lippin full and hard to get to anything until the garage was unloaded. The bikes are now going on the back of the trailer with a waterproof, made for travel, cover over both of them.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to let you know, those Hyperax spanners that I ordered, came today. WOW....those are Heavy Duty for sure. I'm glad I got them, and if you haven't ordered them yet, I just wanted to let you know H E A V Y...D U T Y. My RV rated Hyperax bike rack came in too...same shipment...I'm also very impressed with it. I had a Swagman previously and this thing is like night and day different, although the swagman I had was not RV rated, and that's the reason I got rid of it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    I just retired and wife and I are ready for more camping. We have decided to take our bikes with us. Never taken them before. Two bikes. I've researched hitch mounted racks and ladder mounted racks. Both have horror stories of bending and ladders broke. My thoughts are to purchase a rack to mount on the rear hitch. What do you guys recommend that will handle the bouncing and jostling of the roads?
    I have done quite a bit of research on this subject and for my trailer....I did not want to install it on the rear bumper. My spare tire is there. I did not like the Lippert bike rack as it sits pretty high up there.

I settled for a company in Quebec, Canada called Arvika. They make a bike rack for a TT and 5th wheel model. We got the 2 bike model. I will re-adjust the height of the rack so it clears the truck gate. It is fully adjustable and I do recommended it. The only thing....bikes get blasted in the rain but now I use a special cover that keeps the spray off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210901_114132.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	38777
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    I just retired and wife and I are ready for more camping. We have decided to take our bikes with us. Never taken them before. Two bikes. I've researched hitch mounted racks and ladder mounted racks. Both have horror stories of bending and ladders broke. My thoughts are to purchase a rack to mount on the rear hitch. What do you guys recommend that will handle the bouncing and jostling of the roads?
    I have done quite a bit of research on this subject and for my trailer....I did not want to install it on the rear bumper. My spare tire is there. I did not like the Lippert bike rack as it sits pretty high up there.

I settled for a company in Quebec, Canada called Arvika. They make a bike rack for a TT and 5th wheel model. We got the 2 bike model. I will re-adjust the height of the rack so it clears the truck gate. It is fully adjustable and I do recommended it. The only thing....bikes get blasted in the rain but now I use a special cover that keeps the spray off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210901_114132.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	38777
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have the 1upusa heavy duty which holds the ebike well and both bikes sit still when traveling. I can watch them in my rear camera and they are totally stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345