User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question LED headlights/tail lamps. and fog lamps - are they worth the price?

OK folks I am looking at new new tow truck (GM and Ford) They both offer LED headlights/tail lights and fog lamps as options or included in packages. However there is a bit of sticker shock. Roughly $1000

I need to have very good lightning. It's important to me at night, but I have not been around them (LED) much to know. My wife's 2016 escape does not have them but her stock headlights are very good.

Are the LED headlights worth it? Do they perform better? Do they yellow less? Do they melt ice off the lenses like the stock lights do?

Opinions/thoughts
    Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would vote yes for the LED headlights. After dealing with the yellow/creamy light from halogen bulbs, it is great to be able to see at night.
    Not a very good comparison, but what I have... We have a Jeep Wrangler, with very poor lights. I added a small light bar in front of the grill (only use it on back-roads) and it tripled the amount of light in front of the Jeep.
    When my F250 with factory LED arrived, I added the same light bar in the bumper expecting a similar improvement in the amount of light. Not the case, when high beams are on its hard to tell if the light bar is on or off, with low beam it is easier to tell, but not much improvement it total amount of light.
    With the F250 on low beams, I get bright-lighted considerably more than with my last truck (F150 halogen lights), I give a little flash with the high beams and they realize I was on low beam.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith - my wife's Acura RDX we bought new in 2016, and now our new 2021 Blazer both have LED headlamps along with all the other exterior and interior as I recall. The Acura was our first experience with LED headlamps. The bright white light is incredibly better and when on high beams (of which we hardly ever need or use) are just amazing. Same with the new Blazer.

I agree with Pap and Mimi.......with our old and aging eyes, the money is well spent.

If you are unsure, I would think the dealers would let you test drive in darkness to "see" for yourself and decide.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    I would vote yes for the LED headlights. After dealing with the yellow/creamy light from halogen bulbs, it is great to be able to see at night.
    Not a very good comparison, but what I have... We have a Jeep Wrangler, with very poor lights. I added a small light bar in front of the grill (only use it on back-roads) and it tripled the amount of light in front of the Jeep.
    When my F250 with factory LED arrived, I added the same light bar in the bumper expecting a similar improvement in the amount of light. Not the case, when high beams are on its hard to tell if the light bar is on or off, with low beam it is easier to tell, but not much improvement it total amount of light.
    With the F250 on low beams, I get bright-lighted considerably more than with my last truck (F150 halogen lights), I give a little flash with the high beams and they realize I was on low beam.
    Thanks - appreciate the comparison. I have a similar light bar on my Tractor for snow removal, so I can appreciate the clean light.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES, with out hesitation.
    LED all the way around.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LED's on my F350 are amazing. Go for it , you wont be disappointed.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I'd pay $1k for them.
    There are tons of aftermarket headlights out there. I know at one time I put "silverstars" in my old 91 Dodge pickup. They were amazing. I'm sure there are even better options now for little $$.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LED headlights are 10x better than the standard Headlights. I’ve had the both. Last 2 trucks have LEDs.

My friend made fun of me for spending $1000 on headlights. I asked him how many times did he use the sun roof on his car that he paid $1300 for, His answer was zero times and it had to be fixed twice for leaks.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LED Headlights = You are able to SEE much better. (Farther and clearer)
    LED Taillights = You are able to be SEEN much better. (Unless the idiot that rear-ends you isn't paying attention.)

I live in southern Arizona, so not able to comment on fog nor melting ice. :-)
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB
    Maxxis M8008 ST Radial 225/75R-15 E 10-ply tires
    MoRryde CRE2-35 CRE3000 w/ wet bolt kit & X-Factor cross-member
    Furrion Observation camera with 5-inch monitor
    Equalizer WDH 1,000/10,000

2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Extended Cab
    Michelin Defender LTX E-rated tires
    RoadMaster Active Suspension (in lieu of TRD sway bar and airbags)
    BakFLip MX4 hard-folding tonneau cover
    Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar
    Westin stainless R7 running boards

Southern Arizona - We're close to Tombstone and can see Mexico (Mt. San Jose) from our backyard.
    US Army, Retired

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2010 F150 had the regular headlights and they were absolutely horrible even with the best halogen lights. I upgraded them to aftermarket HID which made a difference but it was always blowing something. They weren't to reliable. My current F150 has the LED and I would never go to anything else now. It's worth the extra money hands down. Nice bright white light. I've had it for 2 winters and no issue with icing either.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast