User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Membrane Separating

We have a 2018 Reflection and due to the incompetent repairs by the dealer, I am on my third roof. Long story.

Was up on the roof today doing some sealing and checking the overall condition of things. I noticed that when the dealer installed the luan near the front cap, they either didn't glue it enough or secure it with screws. Probably just staples. The luan is pulling loose in the center of the camper and as a result is starting to lift and unglue the membrane. If I push down on the luan, I can basically re-stick the membrane back to where it needs to be. My thought is to put three 1/2" wood screws into the luan and into the OSB decking. Then seal over the screws with eternabond and a bit of caulk on top of that. I'm about to the point of contacting RV Roofinstall in Georgia and just pulling the trigger and having a commercial grade roof installed. But as we know, thats not a cheap proposition.

Need to hear from the experts. Is my proposed fix a good idea? Let it go? Something else I'm not thinking of?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roof 1.jpg   roof 2.jpg  
    Tim & Lisa
    2012 Silverado SRW LB 3500 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 337RLS, IS, Kodiak Discs

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to tell in you picture, but are you certain it's the decking and not the tape installed over the decking seams? If you are on multiple roofs, they don't strip the factory decking unless rot is involved. They simply pull the membrane, sand off the adhesive, add a thin layer of underlayment that is technically not luane but looks like it and called it in vernacular but it's made differently. This veneer is only stapled to the original decking, but usually done with adhesive coated staples so will stay put unless someone missed an area. The joint tape, however, can lift and the membrane will stay stuck on that tape. This long explanation is because the approaches for repairing one over the other would be different.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob. You can see in the 1st picture the edge that has pulled up. If you look carefully, there are a couple of little dimples (screws, staples?) that look like they are about to poke through. I know what you mean about the tape - you can see what seems to be a tape outline under the membrane and another tape outline on the other side, especially when I press it back down. It takes a little bit of effort and I am definitely pressing down on something substantial - probably the veneer you mentioned. It feels like its 1/8" or a bit more on the edge. My guess is the veneer has pulled up and is separating or has separated the tape.

My biggest concern is that it will continue to loosen and stretch the membrane from wind/vibration as we travel. Appreciate your response.
    Tim & Lisa

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it has to be redone, I would get in contact with RV Armor or one of the other spray on permanent roof options.

Lifetime warranty and no more sealing. If I ever have an issue, it will be the first thing I do to resolve it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve. Any idea what the RV Armor cost is per foot? I've done quite a bit of research on RV RoofInstall and they are about $300 - $350 a foot. One thing I like about RV RoofInstall is that they build a small platform for the AC units that lifts them up so the water flows around the unit instead of right at it - if that makes sense. Maybe I'm overthinking this. We had a NewMar FW for 10 years before the GD unit and never an issue with the AC gasket.
    Tim & Lisa

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Hi Rob. You can see in the 1st picture the edge that has pulled up. If you look carefully, there are a couple of little dimples (screws, staples?) that look like they are about to poke through. I know what you mean about the tape - you can see what seems to be a tape outline under the membrane and another tape outline on the other side, especially when I press it back down. It takes a little bit of effort and I am definitely pressing down on something substantial - probably the veneer you mentioned. It feels like its 1/8" or a bit more on the edge. My guess is the veneer has pulled up and is separating or has separated the tape.

My biggest concern is that it will continue to loosen and stretch the membrane from wind/vibration as we travel. Appreciate your response.
    I probably haven't had enough coffee to understand what seems like a parallel conversation of a new roof versus a minor repair. Nevertheless, to fix your lifting veneer, you would not screw through the membrane. Instead, you would cut it open, secure the underlayment to the deck, apply fresh adhesive and set the membrane into it. Because RV grade TPO is too thin to field weld, you have to cap the repair to complete it. So, very good cleaning and apply Eternabond over the cut, centered of course, and extending beyond a bit to either side. After a week or so of cure time, I personally would lap seal the edge of the Eternabond tape.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're exactly right. Not enough coffee - our bourbon for that matter. Kind of like getting a new truck instead of changing the oil.

Couple of questions: would you glue the underlayment to the deck or use screws and glue? Also, what adhesive would you recommend to secure the membrane? Gorilla glue or some type of RV adhesive?

We leave Monday for a five week trip to the Northeast. Not wanting to "hurry up and fix it" I'm going to leave well enough alone until we get back home. I don't want to take the risk of glue not setting up, rain, etc. The roof is secure right now and was fine on a huge trip we took out west back in March.

Thanks so much for reaching out to me. Appreciate your insights.
    Tim & Lisa

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    Thanks Steve. Any idea what the RV Armor cost is per foot? I've done quite a bit of research on RV RoofInstall and they are about $300 - $350 a foot. One thing I like about RV RoofInstall is that they build a small platform for the AC units that lifts them up so the water flows around the unit instead of right at it - if that makes sense. Maybe I'm overthinking this. We had a NewMar FW for 10 years before the GD unit and never an issue with the AC gasket.
    I'm not sure, but they give free quotes..... https://rv-armor.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw...YaAq2OEALw_wcB

Flex Armor is pretty much the same thing...... https://rvroof.com/
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the fix depends on your plans for the rig. With the number of issues you've had already, a good long term fix like RV Roof Install would be worth the expense but only if you plan to keep the rig for many years. Otherwise, do the repair as geotex1 explains and just expect that there will need to be regular maintenance performed and likely find leaks here and there at some point in the future. Just my $.02.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chad. Biggest concerns are tiny leaks that I can't find and don't show up until the damage has been done. With the current prices of these things, we do plan to hold onto the camper and the truck for the long haul. You, geotex1, and others have provided solid input. I have lots of options and it will all come down to $$ and a personal decision.
    Tim & Lisa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast