User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using tow vehicle wifi hotspot for camper

My new tow vehicle came with an ATT wifi hotspot. It claims you can connect from up to 50' away. I checked out the ATT plans and I could get unlimited data for $200 prepaid per year. I'm wondering how good this would work for HD streaming for the RV tv's.

Had anyone done this with good results?

Thanks

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    My new tow vehicle came with an ATT wifi hotspot. It claims you can connect from up to 50' away. I checked out the ATT plans and I could get unlimited data for $200 prepaid per year. I'm wondering how good this would work for HD streaming for the RV tv's.

Thanks
    No, I can say it won't work very well at all. Mostly due to requirement vehicle is on for hotspot to be broadcasting the wifi (at least with Ford). Speeds might work well enough, but ATT typically throttles HD video over their cellular networks.

Also, range is limited with the vehicle hotspot.

Certainly would recommend a different route.

Sorry.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with vehicle wifi but I don't think it would work that well.

Check out nomad Internet for true unlimited and no throttling. I believe there plans are $150 / mo. You have to purchase their device.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

With our GMC to use the hot spot we have to have the ignition turned on.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I use our GMC hotspot all the time in the trailer. The ignition has to be on accessory but the engine doesn’t have to be running. The range is limited so you need to park fairly close to the tv your using. I have no trouble streaming HD provided I have a decent signal. Never been throttled in the 4 years I have been using it.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I use our GMC hotspot all the time in the trailer. The ignition has to be on accessory but the engine doesn’t have to be running. The range is limited so you need to park fairly close to the tv your using. I have no trouble streaming HD provided I have a decent signal. Never been throttled in the 4 years I have been using it.
    I tried that once but left the ignition on too long and ran the battery down.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 F150 with the ATT hotspot trial and had the same thought as you. Didn’t work well at all. First you need the ignition on and in the Ford it automatically shuts off after an hour or so. The range never reached into the RV. We could get a signal sitting outside but had to be right next to the truck. All in all pretty much a hassle.

We went with Visible and are using that hotspot. $25 a month, unlimited talk, text and hotspot . The hotspot is throttled at 5 mbps but that fast enough for us.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I tried that once but left the ignition on too long and ran the battery down.
    Yes. I have done that more than once. Put in two yellow top ultimas last year and it’s better. Wont make it over night though. Have to remember to shut it down before bed!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Well the fact that the truck accessory mode needs to stay on makes it a non-starter.

My wife and I do have phones that can be a hotspot and I use $15 anonymous pre-paid tracfone cards each month that rolls-over data, talk and text. I think we have accumulated over 40GB between the two of us currently. I can always add data alone for $10 per 1GB.

We would utilize free wifi when it's available and fast enough at camp grounds and then use tracfone data when it doesn't.

But I'll keep looking for a better option too so any additional recommendations are appreciated.

Also, I noticed Walmart offers its own prepaid anonymous plans for unlimited voice/text and data (40GB at High Speed, then 2G) + 10GB Mobile Hotspot e-PIN Top Up through T-Mobile's Nationwide Network. But this plan does not rollover.
    Last edited by Corky2; 08-29-2021 at 04:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Well the fact that the truck accessory mode needs to stay on makes it a non-starter.

My wife and I do have phones that can be a hotspot and I use $15 anonymous pre-paid tracfone cards each month that rolls-over data, talk and text. I think we have accumulated over 40GB between the two of us currently. I can always add data alone for $10 per 1GB.

We would utilize free wifi when it's available and fast enough at camp grounds and then use tracfone data when it doesn't.

But I'll keep looking for a better option too so any additional recommendations are appreciated.

Also, I noticed Walmart offers its own prepaid anonymous plans for unlimited voice/text and data (40GB at High Speed, then 2G) + 10GB Mobile Hotspot e-PIN Top Up through T-Mobile's Nationwide Network. But this plan does not rollover.
    Campground wifi is hardly ever viable. Either no good connection or when it is, so many are on it, no throughput. I used skyroam at $45 for unlimited and was sufficient to stream movies from home PC.
    2020 Sierra 2500HD Denali
    Equalizer hitch (used Blue Ox before)
    Reflections 312bhts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast