Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Drop for Hitch Ball Mount

Hi everybody. I’m totally new to the world of RVing and all things towing. I recently purchased a 2018 Imagine 2970RL and will be pulling with a Ram 2500.

The private party that I bought it from gave me a weight distribution hitch and hitch mount, but it seems a little high to me. They were towing with a ram 1500.

I followed the static measuring instructions i’ve seen in various videos, measuring 24 1/2 inches to the top of my receiver and 15 1/2 inches to the bottom of the coupler on the grand design, when level. It gives me an overall drop of 9 inches, but that seems like an awful lot. I don’t even find very many hitch ball mounts with that kind of drop. I forgot to measure the total sag of my truck when connected, but it sure feels like a lot as I watch the coupler drop onto the ball.

Just looking for some guidance on whether or not the static measurements are even meaningful. If they don’t sell many hitch mounts with a 9 inch drop, it makes me feel like that’s not the correct calculation. Or there’s something else that needs to be added to the calculation to allow some amount of sag to the rear end of your truck.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. It would help if you tell us which wdh you have. Since you have a 3/4 ton and they had a 1/2 ton you might need to buy a new shank.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    Hi everybody. I’m totally new to the world of RVing and all things towing. I recently purchased a 2018 Imagine 2970RL and will be pulling with a Ram 2500.

The private party that I bought it from gave me a weight distribution hitch and hitch mount, but it seems a little high to me. They were towing with a ram 1500.

I followed the static measuring instructions i’ve seen in various videos, measuring 24 1/2 inches to the top of my receiver and 15 1/2 inches to the bottom of the coupler on the grand design, when level. It gives me an overall drop of 9 inches, but that seems like an awful lot. I don’t even find very many hitch ball mounts with that kind of drop. I forgot to measure the total sag of my truck when connected, but it sure feels like a lot as I watch the coupler drop onto the ball.

Just looking for some guidance on whether or not the static measurements are even meaningful. If they don’t sell many hitch mounts with a 9 inch drop, it makes me feel like that’s not the correct calculation. Or there’s something else that needs to be added to the calculation to allow some amount of sag to the rear end of your truck.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
    With a properly setup weight distribution hitch there should be very little sag.

The trailer when hooked up to TV should be close to level, opinions vary. It sounds like your Ram may be lifted some?
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got a Husky…

https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towin...ribution-hitch

It appears they do sell a shank with 9.5 inch drop. I definitely want to tow level, should you expect back end sag on your truck or should the coupler simply come down and rest on the ball with minimal pushing down as it continues to lower? Sorry if I don’t use all the correct terms. I’m excited to learn as I’m going full time in January.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 1/2 inches for the coupler doesn’t sound right

My 2400 is 23.5 inches to the top of the coupler and the top of the ball on my truck is 24

The hitch will have some adjustments on the shank
    Perhaps pics or saying what kind of hitch would be helpful

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Husky hitch…

https://www.huskytow.com/husky-towin...ribution-hitch

Looks like they do make a shank with more drop. Out of curiosity, shouldn’t it be expected to see some amount of back end drop as the coupler comes to rest on the ball or should it just sit gently on top with very little continued push down? Sorry if the terms I use aren’t quite right.
    Jim
    Henderson, NV
    2018 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured it several times and checked for level in three different places on the trailer. 15.5 is what I got. Felt low, which is why I checked a few times.
    Jim
    Henderson, NV
    2018 Imagine 2970RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep trying to post my WD hitch, but maybe it doesn’t like that including the website. It’s a Husky. Centerline TS. The do make an additional shank, it appears.
    Jim
    Henderson, NV
    2018 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.huskytow.com/Attachment/...downloadId=335

If you don’t have them

Measurements start with trailer level and to top of coupler

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Drop for Hitch Ball Mount

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    https://www.huskytow.com/Attachment/...downloadId=335

If you don’t have them

Measurements start with trailer level and to top of coupler

You need to start with the specifics for your hitch height requirement. Then measure trailer and truck to determine the required drop. As was stated, you have a different truck so those numbers will not be the same.

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    That is absolutely correct, and from there each hitch manufacturer will have their specific install instructions. For example, my Equalizer states even to 1 inch above top of coupler
    Last edited by Redapple63; 08-28-2021 at 04:46 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast