User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 395MS hot water

So we have been living in our rig full time for a month or so now, and we've noticed that even with both the electric and gas on to our water heater, we only get about 8 minutes of shower time until we run out of water. This is true on city water and dry camping.

Does anyone else with a 395MS have similar issues? The reason I ask is that I think our rig has a different shower head than other momentums. We have the square rain head with the wall sprayers and the handheld sprayer.

The other day I drained and flushed the water heater, and checked the anode, which was good. This didn't change our hot water shower time at all.

We are considering a tankless water heater for the shower if that is all the shower time we should expect from our water heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh Ward
    2022 Momentum 395 MS-R, 8k axles
    2020 Ram 3500 4 door, DRW, 4wd, diesel, 4:10, Airlift bags, Reese 27k hitch

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 minutes for a hot shower is a luxury in the RV world. You have a 12 gallon heater so it's on the larger side of rv water heaters. It's about 1/3 the size of most home water heaters, though.

Having the gas and electric heaters will only increase the speed of which the water will be reheated, it will not generally increase the length of time you have for a straight run of hot water. Although I do notice a higher temp from the gas heater so it seems the hot water lasts longer because I'm mixing more cold water with it during things like a shower.

Tank less water heaters will have pros and cons that may work for you, or may not.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One easy thing to check, and it will only take a minute. Make 100% sure that the outside shower faucets (in the Nautilus control panel area) are turned OFF. If those are turned on, that will cause a lack of hot water for the camper. The hose has to be hooked up for water to flow, but if it's disconnected and the faucet handles are on, that will be the cause of little hot water. Hope it's that simple for ya'.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    8 minutes for a hot shower is a luxury in the RV world. You have a 12 gallon heater so it's on the larger side of rv water heaters. It's about 1/3 the size of most home water heaters, though.

Having the gas and electric heaters will only increase the speed of which the water will be reheated, it will not generally increase the length of time you have for a straight run of hot water. Although I do notice a higher temp from the gas heater so it seems the hot water lasts longer because I'm mixing more cold water with it during things like a shower.

Tank less water heaters will have pros and cons that may work for you, or may not.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR
    Thank you for the information.

Having camped in quite a few different RVs over the years, I'm aware of the limitations of RV water heaters. I also understand tank sizes and recharge rates. What I can't find through my own research is the flow rates of my particular shower hardware to calculate what kind of time I should expect for the hot water to last in a given situation. That's why I asked about hot water time from other 395MS owners. I wanted to see if our available hot water was average for other owners with the same hardware. If it was not, then I would look more into problems with our water heater. If it is, we'll decide on a different option.

Just speaking honestly here, but leading your reply with an implication that I'm complaining about something that is "a luxury in the RV world" is unhelpful and off-putting. It doesn't answer the question in any way. The rest of the reply really doesn't answer the question either- it's more of a lecture about water heaters in general.

Josh Ward

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    One easy thing to check, and it will only take a minute. Make 100% sure that the outside shower faucets (in the Nautilus control panel area) are turned OFF. If those are turned on, that will cause a lack of hot water for the camper. The hose has to be hooked up for water to flow, but if it's disconnected and the faucet handles are on, that will be the cause of little hot water. Hope it's that simple for ya'.
    Good call. I use the outside water regularly from that side. I will definitely check to be sure I don't have the water on.

Thanks!

Josh Ward

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragod1345 View Post
    Thank you for the information.

Having camped in quite a few different RVs over the years, I'm aware of the limitations of RV water heaters. I also understand tank sizes and recharge rates. What I can't find through my own research is the flow rates of my particular shower hardware to calculate what kind of time I should expect for the hot water to last in a given situation. That's why I asked about hot water time from other 395MS owners. I wanted to see if our available hot water was average for other owners with the same hardware. If it was not, then I would look more into problems with our water heater. If it is, we'll decide on a different option.

Just speaking honestly here, but leading your reply with an implication that I'm complaining about something that is "a luxury in the RV world" is unhelpful and off-putting. It doesn't answer the question in any way. The rest of the reply really doesn't answer the question either- it's more of a lecture about water heaters in general.

Sorry you took it that way. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, We had the same problem with our the first time we used it. It was the outside faucet, it was turned on just a little bit. Closed it and have had no water heater problems since. We have A 351M.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I checked the outside faucet, and it was off. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I did some (really) rough math by having my kids help fill a bucket from the shower head and timing a minute. Here's what I found:

Shower flow is 1.5GPM. This doesn't appreciably change with the which shower head I have turned on, or the percentage of hot vs cold water.

If I assume about 3/4 hot water to 1/4 cold water for a shower, (yeah, really rough math...) then I should get at least 10.5 minutes of water from the tank.

Now I know that this isn't a concrete value, as the tank stays full all the time, so you don't get 12 gallons of water at temperature X, it's a decreasing gradient as the tank empties hot and fills with cold.

However, given the refresh rate of 16gph (per the manual) with gas/electric on, I should get about another 2 gallons of "reheated" water over that 10.5 minutes. If I round down, I should get 12 minutes of hot water based on my (really rough) calculations.

Admittedly, the input water temp will affect this, and I'm assuming my fractions of water use based on the position of the dial... (See above about rough calculations lol)

All that is to say that it seems like I'm not getting as much hot water as I should be under optimal conditions. Do yall think this means that there is an issue with the water heater, or representative of the expected function? This is why I was hoping to hear from someone about hot water time with a similar setup...

Josh Ward

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I don’t know if I included this in the initial post, but we are consistently getting about eight minutes of shower time...

Josh Ward

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have 2020 395 MS and yes the hot water runs through a lot quicker with the new shower style. I have tried both the handheld and the square shower head. The few times we are hooked up and can take a long shower it did not last as long as it last trailer with the oxygenic shower head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast