User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can, I suggest waiting until after the bubble pops.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the RV industry reacts when eventually supply exceeds demand. Pricing of course will always be an issue, but more importantly in regards to the manufacturer's quality and the dealer's customer service. Will the buyer be treated once again as a needed customer that deserves product satisfaction, or have we already seen the best days of the RV industry?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead88 View Post
    Should be quite a few for sale through private sellers, as the season is about over and people bit off more than they could chew. ie, maintenance cost, towing and tow vehicles, availability of camp sites, ect
    I would like to see this, quite frankly, but I don't see any evidence that it will happen. Going into second "off season" and nothing has really changed from what I can see.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the bubble is going to pop any time soon. That's why we pulled the trigger. Local big dealer can't get a Tiffin until 2023. That will lead to a lot of pent up demand. And if the real estate market is any indicator, RVs are now homes not recreational vehicles. I don't see that ending - a lot of baby boomers retiring including us.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By no means have I surveyed every manufacturer, but I have friends across the industry. After talking with them, I don't think there will be any sort of crises having them drop the floor out of pricing. This is because they have not built anymore capacity than planned before the surge and are not planning capital expenditures around it either recognizing this is not a permanent market shift. They also have not bulked up staff as there is a finite worker pool in Indiana in general, and like everywhere and everyone else, hiring is a challenge. Also, keep in mind you, individually, are not GD's customer. Their customers are the dealers. It's not GD having dealers sell near MSRP. That's all dealer decisions. Has the dealer cost for units gone up? Sure. Is GD making some fractional increase on profit per unit because of demand? Of course. The rest, and majority, however, is passing through the increased cost of raw materials, parts, appliances, furniture, etc., and the increased cost of manufacturing, whether that be paying overtime or bigger electric bills for plant run time. No different than what I have happening running my plants at 104-119% capacity. So the biggest reductions you will see when the demand subsides are in the price dealers are willing to sell at to move inventory. I'm sure the cost per unit to dealer will come down as supply to manufacturing becomes more reliable and production pace slows. However, that's going to be a slow transition unless one starts trying to predict what the economy will do when employment becomes a must again for the majority... If you look back in the history of the industry, surging isn't new to it. This is definitely a big one, buy not new. There will be undoubtedly be a couple years of lean production numbers and then things will balance again. Ebbs and flows.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kycamper16 View Post
    I have been looking to buy a new Reflection 278BH. Does anyone think the prices will go down throughout September or October or are the price increases here to stay for awhile?
    Another factor you are going to have to include; as announced yesterday at the National Rally by Don Clark, Reflection is now the #1 selling 5th wheel in America, Momentum #1 Toy hauler, Solitude #2 in it's class. So, a lot of demand for Grand Design products gives dealers a pretty strong bargaining position.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the RV industry reacts when eventually supply exceeds demand. Pricing of course will always be an issue, but more importantly in regards to the manufacturer's quality and the dealer's customer service. Will the buyer be treated once again as a needed customer that deserves product satisfaction, or have we already seen the best days of the RV industry?
    Maybe someone will come along and "Tesla-ize" the RV manufacturing pipeline. Aside from regulatory capture benefiting auto dealers, one of their biggest reasons for existing is the manufacturer-blessed service they offer. RV dealers don't have this moat, so they are significantly more vulnerable to disruption. If the only value the dealer provides is a sales showroom ... what's to stop GD from setting up a showroom in each major metro, and then doing all the sales online. Set price, no haggling, no sleazy salespeople, etc. And just use mobile RV techs for warranty work, kinda like things are headed already.

RV dealers are so far back in the stone age, they don't even see it coming.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kycamper16 View Post
    I have been looking to buy a new Reflection 278BH. Does anyone think the prices will go down throughout September or October or are the price increases here to stay for awhile?
    Based on the historic volume of sales, everyone and their uncle buying RVs, combined with workforce and supply chain shortages all manufacturers are experiencing, I recommend waiting, if you can, to purchase until volumes stabilize. With factories outstripping capacity in their plants, everyone, including component suppliers experiencing the same issues, there is about 90% more quality problems, short-cuts being taken, and the inherent issues that all combine to create the perfect storm.

In addition, in about 12-24 months, about 30% of all these new RVs being purchased by first-timers will be on the market being sold for steep discounts when they realize they paid $90K on payments for something they stay in 10 nights/year and/or camping is a lot more work then it seemed while perusing the RV lot :-) Many of the issues they find based on the junk being turned out will be caught and fixed by the time you buy it.

All that said, now is the worst time to buy virtually "anything" new based on the overheating inflation and supply constraints. With the massive stimilus being pumped, we are about 1-2 years away from a bad recession IMO. Going to be bargains.
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP, I might suggest looking at the FaceBook Grand Design RV Owners Items For Sale. Late model barely used units are listed everyday by owners selling.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe someone will come along and "Tesla-ize" the RV manufacturing pipeline. Aside from regulatory capture benefiting auto dealers, one of their biggest reasons for existing is the manufacturer-blessed service they offer. RV dealers don't have this moat, so they are significantly more vulnerable to disruption. If the only value the dealer provides is a sales showroom ... what's to stop GD from setting up a showroom in each major metro, and then doing all the sales online. Set price, no haggling, no sleazy salespeople, etc. And just use mobile RV techs for warranty work, kinda like things are headed already.

RV dealers are so far back in the stone age, they don't even see it coming.
    Not to hijack this thread, but you are suggesting something very interesting. Only thing I can imagine is the cost to the manufacturer to set up and staff their own sales outlets. I would think the overhead would eat up the difference in direct sales in relation to the markup the dealers charge, and then the purchase price would not be any more attractive to the buyer. It might only work in a high volume situation as you might find in the case of Tesla. It's going to take something innovative and different to bring dealers back from the stone age!!
    Last edited by dryfly; 09-05-2021 at 08:09 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast