User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Either I'm misunderstanding or the math doesn't add up. How can you start w/ a 15K GVWR with 7K axles, then upgrade 8K and end up with 18K GWVR? As mentioned above, I thought there were other limiters. And as I vaguely recall from an older discussion, the 8K upgrade for the 310 only nets an additional 1K in GVWR (16K) - don't quote me on that, I could have recalled wrong.

Bottom line: Best to call GD to confirm.

FYI: We have 7K axles, Cooper H tires, factory disc brakes and after ~9K miles towing, zero issues so far!
    One of the main differences is in the disc brakes - they will stop over twice the weight of the drum brakes in the same distance.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the main differences is in the disc brakes - they will stop over twice the weight of the drum brakes in the same distance.
    I agree to the stopping power of the disc brakes, however my GWVR did not increase w/ the factory disc brake option. I'm stickered @15K.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Well, I had that on my options list but took it off. Couldn't see adding over $5K when I was going to put MorRyde IS on when I can get in. Figured I could last a year (hope it's not more than that).
    @ang617
    Will u be getting the 8,000 lb IS? I’m scheduled for an IS install and am not sure I need it or that I’ll get the upgrade. Thanks for any insight.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    @ang617
    Will u be getting the 8,000 lb IS? I’m scheduled for an IS install and am not sure I need it or that I’ll get the upgrade. Thanks for any insight.
    When I talked to Brian at MorRyde last year, he said they would highly recommend/would install the 8k IS components on the 310. I don't recall if that was a recommendation or something MorRyde would simply do based upon their assessment. With Brian moving up to an OEM slot, not sure what his replacement will say.

I was surprised with the increase in weight to 13044 with just the few options on the 310 sitting on the dealer lot. I could see the 310s starting to creep up to 15K limit once loaded. That's what got me re-thinking 8K since I'm adding even more option weight.

Short answer, I added the 8K factory discs and axles back in. I'll pull it for a while (MorRyde is booked thru 2022) but at least I'll have the disc brakes and option to use them on IS if I go that route.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added the 8K factory discs and axles back in. I'll pull it for a while (MorRyde is booked thru 2022) but at least I'll have the disc brakes and option to use them on IS if I go that route.
    Good move!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design this morning asking about the GVWR with the 8K axles and got a call back around noon (eastern). The 310 Product Manager was in the office with the gent who returned my call.

Basically, they have been going back and forth (internally) on GVWR markings with the 8K axles trying to keep the 310 at 15k so it is towable by a 2500/250 TV. That said, some placards have read 15K and others 18K. Product Manager said best chance is to specifically write on the order asking for the higher GVWR on the placard with the 8K axles option, otherwise you may just get 15K. While I was listening to GD, the GM at the dealer was on the phone with GD and got exactly the same answer.

The average pin weight of all 310s delivered this year is 2550. I guess I can believe that given most are pretty basic dealer orders. He also agreed that 13044 UVW was high for the unit with the options we saw but sometimes the tanks aren't fully emptied before being scaled???

Anyway, dealer is updating order to request the higher GVWR on the placard. Be interesting to see what comes in and at this point, only a Cat Scale will give the true story. I have no idea if any of the above is accurate - just passing on what I was told.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I talked to Brian at MorRyde last year, he said they would highly recommend/would install the 8k IS components on the 310. I don't recall if that was a recommendation or something MorRyde would simply do based upon their assessment. With Brian moving up to an OEM slot, not sure what his replacement will say.
    Walt Mason is his replacement, at least as of a couple of months ago

I was surprised with the increase in weight to 13044 with just the few options on the 310 sitting on the dealer lot. I could see the 310s starting to creep up to 15K limit once loaded. That's what got me re-thinking 8K since I'm adding even more option weight.
    Along with the 600lbs+ the IS system adds.

Short answer, I added the 8K factory discs and axles back in. I'll pull it for a while (MorRyde is booked thru 2022) but at least I'll have the disc brakes and option to use them on IS if I go that route.
    I think this is the right move especially with how the OEM springs have a tendency to flatten.

I looked at it this way, depending on the current discount and MSRP the math may be different, but when I ordered the 8K/disc option was just over 5K msrp. I got a 30% discount, so the 8K/disc option cost me $3500. At the time, the disc option from Morryde cost about 3k I believe. So I looked at it as getting the sticker cost me about $500 and I was willing to do that even though mechanically there is no difference. A bunch more than that and I would have forgone the OEM option and not worried about the sticker.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I'll see MorRyde in January at Tampa at the RV show and discuss some more. I still have time to decide.

I need to also decide if I am going up to 19.5" wheels and tires. I kind of like that but it is a bit pricy.
    Larry KE4DMG

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design this morning asking about the GVWR with the 8K axles and got a call back around noon (eastern). The 310 Product Manager was in the office with the gent who returned my call.

Basically, they have been going back and forth (internally) on GVWR markings with the 8K axles trying to keep the 310 at 15k so it is towable by a 2500/250 TV. That said, some placards have read 15K and others 18K. Product Manager said best chance is to specifically write on the order asking for the higher GVWR on the placard with the 8K axles option, otherwise you may just get 15K. While I was listening to GD, the GM at the dealer was on the phone with GD and got exactly the same answer.

The average pin weight of all 310s delivered this year is 2550. I guess I can believe that given most are pretty basic dealer orders. He also agreed that 13044 UVW was high for the unit with the options we saw but sometimes the tanks aren't fully emptied before being scaled???

Anyway, dealer is updating order to request the higher GVWR on the placard. Be interesting to see what comes in and at this point, only a Cat Scale will give the true story. I have no idea if any of the above is accurate - just passing on what I was told.
    Just my opinion, but I don't think the 310 with whatever the plate on the rig says - it would be an overload on a 250/2500. I weighed mine - I'm right at my max GCWR on the truck. i just don't see how a 250 can handle that. But heck, GD and dealers are in the business of sales, not safety.

One more note about the 250..... LazyDays in Tampa made me sign some papers that said I was towing with a 350. I suppose they needed to cover themselves for liability. And a friend who had a 250 and had the springs changed ended up going up to the 350 after his first year.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Thanks. I'll see MorRyde in January at Tampa at the RV show and discuss some more. I still have time to decide.

I need to also decide if I am going up to 19.5" wheels and tires. I kind of like that but it is a bit pricy.
    Did you mean 17.5" wheels and tires?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast