Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Musty cabinets?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Musty cabinets?

So far nothing major on our 2021 Solitude 310-GK. Schwinntek issue resolved, but one minor issue regarding a musty smell in the floor mounted cabinets.

Does anyone else have a musty odor in all of the floor mounted cabinets?

I am not finding any leaks anywhere and no basement water that would explain this. I've never had this issue in any of our previous six trailers. I'm wondering if it is because the basement area is fairly well sealed and doesn't get much airflow. It has been a bit humid wherever have been.

So...is it just me?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't observed that issue in our trailer. You may want to put in some damp rid containers and see how much moisture they absorb.

We always put about 4 containers in our trailer when in storage. We don't have power so we can't run a dehumidifier.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DECelt we have a similar problem. I have not been able to track down the origen of the "musty" odor. I will work on it again in a couple of weeks. Best of luck with your search. Please share if you figure it out.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...roplast-layers
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too notice dampness when opening lower cabinets on our recent trip to Florida. Damp Rid and a dehumidifier seems to be a first line of defense and open a few cabinet doors when going out. Should you chose Damp Rid make sure the containers are secured down with Velcro or something, its a mess if you forget about them.
    Been thinking about installing some small matching color vents in the lower door panels.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The musty smell can appear in any of the closed cabinets, especially those not opened often. Temp changes cause moisture on the walls so no way to avoid it. As mentioned damp rid will help. IF we aren't using the trailer I like to leave all the cabinet doors open for air flow
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A musty smell is common in all RV's. In trailers with slides, the problem can be air intrusion around the slides. The cabinets can get mold out of the air on them, and they often have to be scrubbed down with Odobond. The problem may be even worse if you have to retract the slides and leave the trailer when it's wet from rain.

It's just part of camping.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to maintain desiccant in all cabinets and closets that are in slideouts. You can use name brand Damp Rid or buy what it is in bulk a heck of a lot cheaper! It is anhydrous calcium chloride. Dehumidification is a must in a camper too as others mentioned. If you have carpet in the closet, first make sure it is not still damp. If it is, bring in a household dehumidifier and dry everything out! Then treat the carpet with one part vinegar to two parts warm, deionized water in a spray bottle. Lightly mist the carpet and then sprinkle fresh baking soda on it. Once this dries, let the baking soda stay down another day or two and then vacuum it up. If you don't have serious mold under the carpet, this will take care of the musty smell. Look for a way to ventilate the cabinets too, if possible. This is actually why you see a lot of manufacturers have open toe kicks for cabinets in slideouts - cannot tell until the cabinet is opened, and helps the airflow.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have ours parked at home under cover we keep it warm and always run a dehumidifier and HEPA filter running in it, slides open
    2020 310GKR