Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice / Opinions

2017 Reflection 303rls. 2 ac’s, Dometic 15 &13.5

Sorry for long post, you know how us retired folks are….

Bought unit about a month ago, hooked up to 30 amp here at the house. I thought both units were performing ok as the big unit could keep trailer tolerable in the east Texas heat by itself. Well, BIL bought a 2021 245 Transcend with a 13.5 Furion ac and it cooled/blew twice as good as my 15 so I got on google and YouTube and saw MANY post on ac problems and positive reviews on rv airflow. So I ordered rv airflow and pulled bottom cover off my 15 to get ready for install. Well, when I got my cover off and pulled the metal frame down I was completely astounded at the lack of engineering, quality, and basic attention to detail. The tape job had to have been done by a 6 year old, it was unbelievable with huge gaps open to the attic. I had hoped Grand Design was a higher quality unit than this, anyway…
    I retaped and sealed plenum then installed airflow. It didn’t fit perfectly as I had a gap on the left side which I taped closed. After reassembling the unit definitely blows more air and is much much quieter
    Next I wanted to check the front 13.5 for gaps and other obvious issues. Well the installation on this was worse than the rear. The tape was pealing everywhere and the separator piece was loose allowing cold and hot sides to mix. While I was removing old tape I noticed a good amount of air coming through the race tracks from the rear unit. I was thinking the rear would be so much cooler if these were blocked and all that air stayed in the back.
    So, I got the idea to block the front race track openings and just use the dump opening in the front as needed. This would put more airflow to the rear and allow for a large amount of air from the front to stay in the bedroom. The bedroom has two closable vents that could be used to let rear air in when not in high temp areas

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks for all replies

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2016 Reflection 337 with the 15K in the living room and 13.5K in the bedroom. Once I reinstalled the plenum separators and re-taped everything, we were very happy. In both our Reflection and our current Solitude, we run the bedroom AC in the evenings when we're in the living room and the LR AC at night when we're in bed - much quieter that way. For that reason, I would not consider blocking off the racetrack from the front AC. This is just an opinion... worth exactly what you paid for it.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Second Chance, and thanks for your service!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rob shared, both of our ACs work very well through the 2 ducted tracks in the ceiling. We too have the 15K rear (Atwood in our case on very early Reflections maybe to year 2015) and had a Dometic 13.5 Penguin II low profile installed in the GDRV factory service center in the spring of 2018.

We use them as Rob suggested depending on time of day and will use both if very hot and/or humid pushing cool air through the ceiling ducting. We rarely open the dump vent feature on either unit.

Over the years as you shared, some folks have also shared the same with the ducting not being sealed well in the AC units blowing cold and AC air together and/or into the ceiling, etc. We check the tape in ours every so often usually annually when cleaning the filters. All good over 8 seasons so far.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand both of your comments, my dilemma is if I’m on a 30 amp service and can only run one ac the 15 can’t keep unit cool in this Texas heat. 98 degrees with 80 +% humidity Trying to find way to keep living area cooler in these conditions

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlatham View Post
    I understand both of your comments, my dilemma is if I’m on a 30 amp service and can only run one ac the 15 can’t keep unit cool in this Texas heat. 98 degrees with 80 +% humidity Trying to find way to keep living area cooler in these conditions
    In that case, can you close the bedroom and bathroom vents so that most of the air exits the racetrack in the living area? We do that sometimes and it seems it would accomplish most of what you're after and not take away your flexibility. The other option would be to install SoftStart RV boards on both of your ACs. Good 30 amp service should run both ACs once the compressors are both running.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the saga of RV builds - unsealed ducts and all.... Unfortunately it happens. At least you found it and remedied it.

I wouldn't block off any of the ducting. I tried that in a motorhome I had with ducted supplys and returns. It wasn't any better than without the blocking I put in the supply. Maybe it was worse. And I couldn't run the main AC at night to keep the bedroom cool.

I have moved around some of the vents that can be opened/closed with some of the ones that are only directional and have found a good combination that works.

oh - I didn't put in an AirFlow but I did do the same thing myself with some foam and aluminum tape and I think it increase the flow. I only did the main unit.

One more thing.... be sure not to direct the cold air onto the thermostat or the AC cycles off too soon.

Good luck with one AC in 98 degree temps. I don't think there are any rigs that would be cool with that situation.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ac Soft start claims to be able to run 2 15k units on 30 amps. They are replacement start and run capacitors.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some other things we did to help with only one AC.

Close all blinds; have the awning(s) out to keep the sun off the side of the RV exterior wall(s); close off the opening under the hutch where cold air drops into the basement; cover the 3 heat vents in the center island; cover the one on the bedroom floor; cover the heat vent in the bathroom lower vanity; and the cold air return behind the toilet.

Keep the outside basement doors closed as the cold air that will drop into the basement just escapes into the great outdoors when these doors are open. It amazes me how many RVs I see with the basement doors left open in the heat and one or more ACs never shutting off.....hmmm !

Lastly, we have vent covers on our roof vents to keep direct sunlight off. While we do not have any type of covering over the shower skylight, folks have done this as well to keep the sun heat out. An option is to use a insulated type pillow to plug from the inside both the shower sunlight and the roof vents.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide