User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does 2021 31MB converter allow battery to charge while towing?

Apologies if this is the wrong location or maybe isn’t even the right question. I wasn’t sure if this needs to be a model-specific question, but does the 2021 31MB converter allow the battery to charge while towing? How effective is it?

The only thing we upgraded was the battery to Lion’s lithium ion. Otherwise everything is factory.

Towing with a 2020 F250 7.3L CC LB.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    2020 F-250 XLT 4x4 SD CC LB
    Full time family of 5

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The converter is powered by AC (120v), so it is off while driving. Your truck may charge the battery slightly while towing. Most people will either install solar or use a DC-DC charger while towing if they need the battery charged while towing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2014 Ram came with 2 alternators. Don't know why, but would this help to more fully charge a lithium battery?
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    The converter is powered by AC (120v), so it is off while driving. Your truck may charge the battery slightly while towing. Most people will either install solar or use a DC-DC charger while towing if they need the battery charged while towing.

Ah. Ok. Thank you.
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    Full time family of 5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A secondary reason I’m asking the question is to determine if it makes sense (or is possible) to drive with the fridge on electric/battery power.

I’ve read all the opinions on driving with propane running but have to wonder if the argument stems from not being able to run the fridge of the battery or just not wanting to because of too much draw?
    2021 Reflection 31MB 5er
    Full time family of 5

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nateritter View Post
    A secondary reason I’m asking the question is to determine if it makes sense (or is possible) to drive with the fridge on electric/battery power.

I’ve read all the opinions on driving with propane running but have to wonder if the argument stems from not being able to run the fridge of the battery or just not wanting to because of too much draw?
    If you search the forum there is a lot of discussion on this. Depends on your comfort level and which fridge you have. I have always had propane/electric fridges and choose to leave the propane on and power it off the battery. It is a small load and I've traveled as much as 10 hours without plugging thr camper in and there was no loss of power issue. If you want to run electric only, you will need an inverter unless you have a 12v only fridge which doesnt use any propane. With all the recent changes, I have no idea which fridge came in your Reflection.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same rig as yours and even with the 12v switched off while in storage, the battery is fairly low in charge when I pick it up. After towing for a couple of hours, my Duramax seems to freshen up the charge by the time I get to my destination, then plug into short power to let the inverter take over. I always tow with the frig running on propane.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check for parasitic draws when the 12V is switched off, many trailers don't switch off all draws. That is probably why your battery is fairly low in charge when you pick it up.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a kill switch at the battery cable to cut off any and all draws on the system. That helped a lot but if I leave it for a month or more it drops down to about half way on the monitoring lights. I'll admit, when in storage I sometimes stop by and check things out, and usually operate a slide out and a few lights so I might be knocking off some of the charge.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Monitoring Lights"?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast