User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Garmin RV 890

  1. #1
    Site Sponsor Pap and Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Garmin RV 890

    My new RV 890 came this week and we programmed all the info it asked for, dear wife helped with measuring the lengths. I entered an address across town and proceeded to see how it routed me, to my disappointment, it took me on a narrow, curvy, unstriped county road (pig path as they are called in my area).
    The reason for the purchase of the RV 890 was to avoid this very situation, since my F250 factory GPS seems to love tiny little roads, regardless of the setting (shortest/fastest/eco)

    The RV 90 allows me to exclude: tunnels/ferries/toll roads/ highways but not "unstriped roads". Are there any recommendations on "settings" that I might be able to choose in the RV890 to help with this situation?
    We are planning an "out west" trip next June and don't want to be routed on every unstriped road along the way, like we have been around Gatlinburg on past trips.
    Thanks for any input.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

  2. #2
    Site Sponsor 50ST8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    My new RV 890 came this week and we programmed all the info it asked for, dear wife helped with measuring the lengths. I entered an address across town and proceeded to see how it routed me, to my disappointment, it took me on a narrow, curvy, unstriped county road (pig path as they are called in my area).
    The reason for the purchase of the RV 890 was to avoid this very situation, since my F250 factory GPS seems to love tiny little roads, regardless of the setting (shortest/fastest/eco)

    The RV 90 allows me to exclude: tunnels/ferries/toll roads/ highways but not "unstriped roads". Are there any recommendations on "settings" that I might be able to choose in the RV890 to help with this situation?
    We are planning an "out west" trip next June and don't want to be routed on every unstriped road along the way, like we have been around Gatlinburg on past trips.
    Thanks for any input.
    Make sure to unselect shortest as that often takes those small roads to cut the distance. Also how is your vehicle set up from height and weight? Once we had that straight and the trailer/RV selected it changed the routes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum

  3. #3
    King Pin
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    5,217
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I never allow the GPS to determine a route without checking it out ahead of time, unless it's local.

    You can download Basecamp and use it to create routes so you go where you want to go rather than where the GPS decides to send you. I have used it for
    many years and it works well overall. Although the GPS can still go wonky now and again.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

  4. #4
    Rolling Along OurNewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    My new RV 890 came this week and we programmed all the info it asked for, dear wife helped with measuring the lengths. I entered an address across town and proceeded to see how it routed me, to my disappointment, it took me on a narrow, curvy, unstriped county road (pig path as they are called in my area).
    The reason for the purchase of the RV 890 was to avoid this very situation, since my F250 factory GPS seems to love tiny little roads, regardless of the setting (shortest/fastest/eco)

    The RV 90 allows me to exclude: tunnels/ferries/toll roads/ highways but not "unstriped roads". Are there any recommendations on "settings" that I might be able to choose in the RV890 to help with this situation?
    We are planning an "out west" trip next June and don't want to be routed on every unstriped road along the way, like we have been around Gatlinburg on past trips.
    Thanks for any input.
    I don't have a RV 890 or any other 'dedicated' GPS device. My DW is 'dedicated' to being our navigator and GPS device. And she does an awesome job using the resources available to her. You have to remember that the data in the unit is only as good as the human that put it there.

    As with ANY GPS device you should always "Trust But Verify". Following a tech device blindly is a recipe for disaster.

    I was considering getting an 890 but we don't travel enough to warrant the expense. We are weekend warriors with a few 2-3 week trips sprinkled in. Besides, it would have put one more person in the unemployment line, my DW.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

  5. #5
    Site Sponsor Pap and Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50ST8R View Post
    Make sure to unselect shortest as that often takes those small roads to cut the distance. Also how is your vehicle set up from height and weight? Once we had that straight and the trailer/RV selected it changed the routes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Current settings are 12' tall, 8' wide, and 56' total length. Route is set to "fastest".

    I like the GPS for the ETA shown on the screen, so I have a good answer to the question "when will we be there?" as well as the "traffic" feature to avoid sitting in gridlock. We were on I65 near Bowling Green one night when the GPS popped up and rerouted us, I chose to ignore it until my DW noticed no traffic in the oncoming lanes. We exited and went through town. Found out later that a bad wreck at I 65 / Green River (now I 165 I think) had all lanes blocked.
    Thanks
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

  6. #6
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a combination of Google maps and a motor carrier road atlas. The road atlas has never steered us wrong.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

  7. #7
    Site Team Member traveldawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    4,030
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    Current settings are 12' tall, 8' wide, and 56' total length. Route is set to "fastest".

    I like the GPS for the ETA shown on the screen, so I have a good answer to the question "when will we be there?" as well as the "traffic" feature to avoid sitting in gridlock. We were on I65 near Bowling Green one night when the GPS popped up and rerouted us, I chose to ignore it until my DW noticed no traffic in the oncoming lanes. We exited and went through town. Found out later that a bad wreck at I 65 / Green River (now I 165 I think) had all lanes blocked.
    Thanks
    I'm really happy I got my Garmin RV860. And, like you, I really like the trip information. I like the elevation info too; at least it gives some indication of the route's hills and valleys. I also like that it posts informational messages such as upcoming delays, speed changes, etc. All-in-all it has treated us well.

    I always double check the route so I know what to expect and to be sure it is some agreement with what I expect.

    It hasn't sent me down any bad roads - yet. You can always "shape the route" too - that has come in handy sometimes.

    I held out for a long time about not getting another GPS (I've had a few in the past), but after missing 2 turns I knew to make and having to make one too many u-turns to get back where I wanted to be I figured it was time to try out the newer RV GPS's. Besides, considering what we pay for an RV another few hundred dollars for some peace of mind and route assurance doesn't seem like too much to spend on an accessory.

    I set my hight at 13' 6" and 102" wide (I needed too). Maybe up your stats a bit and see what happens??
    Last edited by traveldawg; 03-13-2022 at 02:55 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods


  8. #8
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

    I set my hight at 13' 6" and 102" wide (I needed too). Maybe up your stats a bit and see what happens??
    This is a great idea. Curious to know if that would make a difference.
    Jeff & Sherry
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2019 F150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4,
    HDPP, Max Tow, 6.5, ProPride

  9. #9
    Site Sponsor ajg617's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,592
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resurrecting an old thread - sorry. Spent 4 solid days (plus time to learn BaseCamp) trying to get a route into the Garmin RV 890. Hopeless. Even routes generated in BaseCamp imported into the 890 result in a separate routes between each via. And they are all out of order in the 890 when I look at saved routes or addresses because apparently the Garmin assigns them order by distance from start point. If I had the time, I'd map the order in which they appear and see what route it would suggest - maybe I will.

    I hit the magic 29 max WayPoints early so I manually split the trip into three separate trips in BaseCamp. Again, when loading into the 890, I wound up with 50 separate trips in an absurd order.

    The 890 also appends a meaningless order number even though the order numbers are already in place from pick your trip planner. So Waypoint 1 is followed by Waypoint 35 and it goes down hill from there. and the actual Waypoints might say "23. 7. Dayton KOA" for example. Each Via-to-Via location is perceived as a separate trip so I now have 40 some-odd saved trips in no meaningful order. I'm struggling to find a use for this other than just a way to insure most up-to-date caution points. Took me two evenings to plot a 4500 mile 41 stop trip on RVTW. I do wish that was integrated with a GPS device (any thoughts?).
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-07-2022 at 05:37 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

  10. #10
    Site Team Member traveldawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    4,030
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread - sorry. Spent 4 solid days (plus time to learn BaseCamp) trying to get a route into the Garmin RV 890. Hopeless. Even routes generated in BaseCamp imported into the 890 result in a separate routes between each via. And they are all out of order in the 890 when I look at saved routes or addresses because apparently the Garmin assigns them order by distance from start point. If I had the time, I'd map the order in which they appear and see what route it would suggest - maybe I will.

    I hit the magic 29 max WayPoints early so I manually split the trip into three separate trips in BaseCamp. Again, when loading into the 890, I wound up with 50 separate trips in an absurd order.

    The 890 also appends a meaningless order number even though the order numbers are already in place from pick your trip planner. So Waypoint 1 is followed by Waypoint 35 and it goes down hill from there. and the actual Waypoints might say "23. 7. Dayton KOA" for example. Each Via-to-Via location is perceived as a separate trip so I now have 40 some-odd saved trips in no meaningful order. I'm struggling to find a use for this other than just a way to insure most up-to-date caution points. Took me two evenings to plot a 4500 mile 41 stop trip on RVTW. I do wish that was integrated with a GPS device (any thoughts?).
    I had a 51 stop trip last year. I used RVTW to plan all the stops and keep my notes for each stop. The evening before the next day's trip I would enter my destination on the RV890, let it plot the trip, double check that was the way I wanted to go (modified it if necessary) and followed the GPS' directions the next day.

    The whole idea of trying to preload a trip into a GPS seems to be too much work for me. And if I modify my trip then it was wasted time.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.