User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle gross vehicle weight

My first post here. I have been a 2-3 year reader from various posts on this site as my wife and I started talking about vacationing this way. Now that my wife and I are seriously looking at getting a travel trailer, I thought I should get some advice/knowledge from experienced people.

My question centers around the gross vehicle weight rating of my truck and what one considers what percentage of the gvwr that you should safely stay within. I have had my truck for 3 years and I don't want to trade it in for me to have a larger travel trailer or fifth wheel. I would rather stay within safe operation of the truck that I have than get close to maxing out in the various weights of my truck. I do not want push my truck so hard that failure of various parts will occur or the truck becomes unsafe to operate. Safety of the people in my truck and the people on the road around me is paramount.

The two travel trailers I am considering are the Grand Design Reflection 297rsts and Imagine 2970rl. I have attached 4 files that show screenshots of the calculations from two sources in helping compute the various weights. Two files are for the Reflection 297rsts and two for the Imagine 2970rl. The resources I used are the Keep Your Daydream spreadsheet and towcalculator.com. If you have another recommendation in helping compute the various weights, please feel free to reply with that.

In both calculations, I added 100 pounds for extra payload in the truck and 500 pounds of payload for the travel trailer. I did not include any weight in the propane or water in the tanks. If you have a more realistic number for me to work with, please add your experience too.

The Image 2970 has the dry weight of 7395 and the Reflection 297rsts has the dry weight of 8096.

My truck is a 2016 F250, 6.7 diesel with 3:31 gears, gvrw of 9900, payload of 1860, and curb weight of 7980 pounds(CAT Scale weighed).

My may concern from the 4 computations is the gvw being close to the gvwr. Am I too close to the gvwr? What percentage would you recommend I stay within? I know 3/4 trucks don't have much to work with here from the various comments on this forum.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reflection 297rsts.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	36434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kyd reflection 297rsts.PNG 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	36435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kyd Imagine 2970rl.PNG 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	36436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imagine 2970rl.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	36437

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be safe - and keep things simple - use 12% of the trailer's GVWR for an estimated loaded hitch weight. In the case of the Imagine 2970RL, this would put about 1,080 lbs. on the hitch. The Reflection 297RSTS fully loaded would put about 1,200 lbs. on the hitch.

The numbers you posted for the scaled weight of the truck and the sticker payload don't add up (GVWR minus scaled weight)... my calculations show that you have 1,920 lbs. payload. Subtract from that the weight of passengers (and anything else you're going to carry in the truck) and about 100 lbs. for a weight-distributing hitch, and you'll have your leftover payload for the hitch weight. My guess is you'll be fine - especially if the hitch weights above are within the ratings of your hitch receiver for your truck with a WD hitch and you're not over the rear axle or tire ratings. A 2016 F250 is a very capable vehicle and should handle those trailers with ease.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob:

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

I thought the same about payload. The number of 1860 I listed is from the yellow sticker on the truck. I ran the numbers after the scale and came up with something different too.

I am not sure which one to go by.

The hitch weights are within the receiver of my truck.

My plan is to with a Hensley or ProPride hitch.

Thanks.

Scott

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth28 View Post
    Rob:

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

I thought the same about payload. The number of 1860 I listed is from the yellow sticker on the truck. I ran the numbers after the scale and came up with something different too.

I am not sure which one to go by.

The hitch weights are within the receiver of my truck.

My plan is to with a Hensley or ProPride hitch.

Thanks.

Scott
    The CAT scales are your best friend. You've done your homework - you should be fine. Come back and let us know which trailer you decide on!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob:

I wanted to let you know that we have decided to pursue a Reflection 297rsts.

Thank you for you expertise and time.

Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

Scott