User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Rolling Along
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    repacking wheel bearings

    Anybody do this yet on their Transcend? I'm thinking I will tackle it this Fall, but I need to figure out part numbers and such. Anybody know already what axles these trailers have, etc?
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

  2. #2
    King Pin
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    5,217
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pertinent information about the axles should be on a tag on the axle itself. That would be the best way to get the correct information about the axle.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

  3. #3
    Long Hauler huntindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The pertinent information about the axles should be on a tag on the axle itself. That would be the best way to get the correct information about the axle.
    There really isn't much variation in bearings, races and seals as far as trailer axles go. Not sure they even put "tags" on them. I have seen stickers which fall off pretty quick.
    Basically a 3500# axle is a 3500# axle. If you know what you axle is rated for, just go to e trailer or another vendor and order them up. I used to have the actual numbers for 3500# parts, but since I haven't used them for over ten years, I no longer have it handy... (3500# is the most common size though.)
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

  4. #4
    King Pin
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    5,217
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    There really isn't much variation in bearings, races and seals as far as trailer axles go. Not sure they even put "tags" on them. I have seen stickers which fall off pretty quick.
    Basically a 3500# axle is a 3500# axle. If you know what you axle is rated for, just go to e trailer or another vendor and order them up. I used to have the actual numbers for 3500# parts, but since I haven't used them for over ten years, I no longer have it handy... (3500# is the most common size though.)
    Every trailer I've checked had the tag on the axle. IMO that's the only way to make sure. Like you say not much variation, but why not make sure and then there's no variation.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

  5. #5
    Long Hauler huntindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Every trailer I've checked had the tag on the axle. IMO that's the only way to make sure. Like you say not much variation, but why not make sure and then there's no variation.
    It is also pretty easy to look it up on Lipperts and Dexters websites..... Just in case the OPs axles like mine do not have "tags".
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

  6. #6
    Long Hauler geotex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,881
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, if you don't know it, GD records the serial number of every component assembly and appliance that goes into a unit and database by VIN. So, if you lost the axle tag, call customer service and give them your VIN, they will tell you what the axles were when the unit left the line.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

    Mountains of Pennsylvania

  7. #7
    Long Hauler
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NW AL/NE GA Mountains
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really don't need any parts to repack your hubs--other than a rear seal. You can pop the old seal out and take it to get another.

    I'm a big believer in using mineral spirits to soak and clean the bearings. Then hand pack Lucas 10005 Red n Tacky bearing grease from Walmart @ $4.99 a tube.

    I'm not a believer in Lippert's thin axle grease that my Reflection fifth wheel has injected into the axles.

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Henrietta, NY
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dexter and Lippert 3500# axles, along with Dexter 4400# ones, use the same seal. The generic part # is 10-19, 2.565" O.D, 1.719" I.D., double lipped. Available on Amazon, eTrailer, and a host of other suppliers.
    Dexters website has a list of approved greases. I use Valvoline GM Red since it meets Dexters specs and I can get it at Advance Auto in tubs and tubes.
    If you use the zerk fittings, pump slowly and rotate the wheel / brake drum while doing so. I do a full repack but if I didn't do much travelling I'll put 3-5 pumps in to flush the rear bearing. You'll go through most of a tube of grease if you pump until it comes out the front.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

  9. #9
    Site Sponsor Jerryr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,822
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    You really don't need any parts to repack your hubs--other than a rear seal. You can pop the old seal out and take it to get another.

    I'm a big believer in using mineral spirits to soak and clean the bearings. Then hand pack Lucas 10005 Red n Tacky bearing grease from Walmart @ $4.99 a tube.

    I'm not a believer in Lippert's thin axle grease that my Reflection fifth wheel has injected into the axles.
    I use a empty coffee can with mineral spirits to soak the use a brush to clean old bearings. Of course I wear nitrile gloves. Then blow them dry using my shop air compressor. Then inspect them carefully rotating to make sure they rotate without any hesitancy. If there is any question I toss them in the trash and install new. Also clean the races and make sure there’s no sign of heat damage and they’re smooth.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

  10. #10
    Long Hauler
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NW AL/NE GA Mountains
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you get new bearings, don't go the cheap, Chinese bearings. A pair of fine U.S. made bearings are just a buck or two more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.