User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    And if you get new bearings, don't go the cheap, Chinese bearings. A pair of fine U.S. made bearings are just a buck or two more.
    Yeah, I was thinking I would just go ahead and grab a set of Timkens. They are not expensive, and I know for a fact that the OE bearings are Chinesium. They may be fine for a while, but if I go through the trouble to repack the bearings, I've done most of the work to just put better ones in anyway.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootusrootus View Post
    Anybody do this yet on their Transcend? I'm thinking I will tackle it this Fall, but I need to figure out part numbers and such. Anybody know already what axles these trailers have, etc?
    If it is a Dexter axle go to their web site and submit a request for an “ axle spec sheet” for your axle S/N. The axle spec sheet contain all the parts and part numbers used in your axel assembly. Don’t know what info Lippert will provide.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check whatever bearings you find, there's no guarantee that Timken bearings are made in the US.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anybody do this yet on their Transcend? I'm thinking I will tackle it this Fall, but I need to figure out part numbers and such. Anybody know already what axles these trailers have, etc?
    If you email or call Dexter with your axle tag information they can send you a build sheet that has part numbers, etc - including spring information too. Also on the Dexter web site is an excellent video on how to repack, preload (50ft.lbs) and set the castle nut.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Check whatever bearings you find, there's no guarantee that Timken bearings are made in the US.
    True, but even the imported Timken bearings and seals have better QC and are significantly better quality.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the OEM bearings are good in appearance, I'd just repack them. That way I wouldn't have to jack around with changing out the bearing races too.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timken, NGK, SKF, BCA all good, doesn't have to be US to be good quality. Japan, GB, Germany etc. Buying from a reputable source like Motion industries or Grainger is the only way to be certain of the source. Amazon Ebay is a good chance to get counterfeit bearings.
    But if they clean up and inspect ok run ‘em. As long as you are repacking regularly they will be fine.
    One tip, bearings typically fail (spall) first in the hardest place to inspect, between the rollers on the inner race.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the serial number off one of the axles and send that along with the RV Vin #. They will send you a diagram of the entire assembly with part numbers. Get document to always have on hand when on the road as well. I carry a spare set of bearings, seal, retainer nut and the grease to do the job if needed. Actually send that info (axle serial number) to Dexter Customer Support.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    This is true. I went through the repacking process with my 28G Momentum last month and found I had blown seals on all wheels (my fault for not utilizing the correct process for adding grease via the zerks). My back passenger side bearing had limited grease and after cleaning them using mineral spirits as suggested above, found some heat damage to the bearing. Figured I would go with Timken US made and after some research found out they source them through China in many cases. Finally found some I was comfortable with through American Bearing (again not guaranteed US made) replaced inner and outer bearing along with the races. Just finished a 2500 mile trip which included dirt roads and was religious about checking hub temp when at rest stops etc. and no issues with high temp or bearing failure. I will pull them all again next spring and inspect/repack. Good luck.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    And if you get new bearings, don't go the cheap, Chinese bearings. A pair of fine U.S. made bearings are just a buck or two more.
    Who still makes bearings in the US? Timkin??
    JessJoe - Eastern PA
    2019 Reflection 29RS - Reese GooseBox
    2017 Ram 2500 6.7L 4x4 SRW SB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast