User Tag List

Thread: Flat Spings

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat Spings

I took my 2017 Solitude 310 GK in for some service and have had the dealer fix/adust/repair the brakes and repack the wheel bearings. When they had the RV lifted up they reported that I have springs that have flattened. Not broken, but flattened. And, in fact, there was evidence that the tires had bumped up against/hit the underside of the RV.

The service manager will try to file a claim to at least get the cost of the springs covered. He strongly believes the springs are defective and believes that Dexter or Lippert (He was not sure which company made these springs.) had a significant quality problem a few years ago, and that the problem covered a significant period of time.

I have many years of experience in auto and truck manufacturing and plan to get the springs back so I can get some analysis done....

For that reason I wanted to post this and find out of other Grand Design owners have experienced the same issue. My Solitude was built in October 2016.

Your feedback and input are welcome!!

David J.
    New RVers
    2016 Ford F-250 SRW
    2017 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common problem whether Grand Design, Forest River, Jayco... No need to waste your time and money on analyses. All trailer springs are made overseas. Even if there's a specification and required quality control, they will put whatever on the certs. I speak with first-hand experience with overseas production. Second, this industry is not as sophisticated as the automotive. If it were, dynamic analyses would be performed, and other factors analyzed like when these high center of gravity boxes lean on turns and the hammering from lousy roads. Many of us go up one increment of available weight capacity when replacing. While you are having it done, install a heavy duty shackle kit and reinforce the spring hangers.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with above. I replaced my Momentum springs about a year into ownership. They were starting to go flat again about 3 years later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you geotex1 and FT4NOW!! Much appreciated!
    I was personally responsible for Quality Assurance at a couple of well known companies that did business and had suppliers globally, and I was personally involved with some suppliers in China, for example. Every day was an adventure and I was able to make several trips there to help and coach and follow-up with supplier issues. So something like this -- poor material or heat treat of springs --- would not suprise me in the slightest.
    I only hope the integrity of the suppliers come through and they will at least give me replacement springs FoC.....
    Can you also help with a couple questions on beefing up the suspension?
    Where is the best place to find these kits? Etrailer.com??
    Also, would I be able to install any of these kits?

Thanks again for your input!!

Safe travels!!
    New RVers
    2016 Ford F-250 SRW
    2017 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Laura View Post
    Thank you geotex1 and FT4NOW!! Much appreciated!
    I was personally responsible for Quality Assurance at a couple of well known companies that did business and had suppliers globally, and I was personally involved with some suppliers in China, for example. Every day was an adventure and I was able to make several trips there to help and coach and follow-up with supplier issues. So something like this -- poor material or heat treat of springs --- would not suprise me in the slightest.
    I only hope the integrity of the suppliers come through and they will at least give me replacement springs FoC.....
    Can you also help with a couple questions on beefing up the suspension?
    Where is the best place to find these kits? Etrailer.com??
    Also, would I be able to install any of these kits?

Thanks again for your input!!

Safe travels!!
    You are welcome! The MORryde heavy duty shackle kit is the best bang for the buck. To reinforce your hangers, there are two options: install braces or V-clips. MORryde makes X-factor bolt-on braces for this, or you can have steel braces welded in. V-clips are weld-in. This engineer recommends braces for the lateral load transfer and not just stiffening the resistance to it. If you are not afraid of tools and have some jack stands and jacks, you can do the heavy duty shackles and X-factors in a leisurely weekend or a long day. Shop around for best price you can find. The cheapest prices on MORryde components is when they are at a rally or RV Show and you can buy direct at show pricing. Check YouTube for install videos if it's all new to you.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going through the effort of replacing springs and shackles, you should look into the Morryde equalizers as well, the SRE4000 or CRE3000.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 Momentum 351 I noticed the springs are flat on the drivers side. Does anyone know how to get a part number for the spring pack. And is there alot in replacing them. Does the trailer need to be aligned after or do they self center.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO but being the owner of a 2019 351 M, I would weigh my trailer before I replaced springs. You may want to go to 8,000 lb. springs/axles, rather than replacing springs. That's probably is
    what I will do at some point. Of course it all depends on how long you intend to keep the trailer. I weighed mine without it being fully loaded for travel, mostly loaded, but short one bike, and
    it was at 13,300 lbs. on the axles. I'll weigh again while on the road, but haven't done so yet. IMO the 351 should have come standard with 8,000 lb. axles.

It can be a DIY job provided you have the proper tools, jacks, and assorted hardware. You also need new U-bolts and assorted hardware. You can get the part number for the axles off
    the tag on the axle. You can order the standard 7,000 lb. spring pack from Dexter if you have the Dexter axles. Alignment should not be necessary, unless you're having issues now.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm going to start looking for a used Solitude in 2 years, prices are crazy right now and I have disc brakes not sure they would fit the 8k axle. Figured I would get 2 years out of the springs, I hope.
    I also agree about the 8k axles if I was ordering a new one I would get the 8k axles with discs.