User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small nick in gas line — quick fix for weekend?

Hey friends,

So just got our camper from storage last night. Spent 8 weeks on the road this summer from Atlanta to Acadia and this is our first time taking out for the holiday weekend. Everything looked in working order. But just checked propane stove and will not light. Will light for a half second and then go out. Smell of propane is faint, but was coming out.

After poking around I discovered a couple nicks in my propane line

http://photos.app.goo.gl/MfjpDzP5NCnyCEwA8

So — question. We’re hoping to head out this afternoon, so I don’t have time to replace entire line. We have electrical HU where we’re going so it’s not a big deal. Would just like to have the stove.

My question is — do i have a quick fix for the weekend? Tape it up really well. Turning propane on manually to use stove and then immediately cutting it off when done. It’s an exterior line and I wouldn’t leave gas on except for those couple moments to cook on. Then I’ll replace when I get it back.

Also — When I do the job right, should I replace the whole line? Or can i just cut out a section and put couplers on either side.

Also - any ideas why this happened? It’s right where the brake lines are. Would the brake lines get hot enough to put a hole in propane line. There’s also the smaller one which isn’t right beside the brake line. And it’s not in a place that a rodent could easily get to. Just trying to figure out how it happened to prevent it from happening again.

If it feels too dangerous I’ll pull the old camping stove out and buy some Coleman fuel.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

2021 Imagine BHE 21

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be very cautious, but you can try a self fuzing silicone tape. If you're using it right it can last the weekend. When able to, replace the whole line. It's cheap enough and the least amount of failure points the better.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Also - any ideas why this happened?”

Most likely from road debris.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking from experience with our 1966 camper we are restoring, the damage in your photos looks like rodent (rat) chew marks.

I have no advice regarding trying to seal the existing line.

Edit - I like @Always Learning suggestion, too.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What material are those lines made from?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    What material are those lines made from?
    My guess would be rubber or poly
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure it's rubber

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get by in a pinch for the weekend, if you have enough slack to cut out the nicks....cut them out and get a double barbed fitting of the proper size and two hose clamps and put it back together
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I'd be very cautious, but you can try a self fuzing silicone tape. If you're using it right it can last the weekend. When able to, replace the whole line. It's cheap enough and the least amount of failure points the better.

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR
    The gas will cause the tape to get all gooey and soft. Barbed brass fittings and 1/2 inch PEX clamps worked perfectly for me. Rodents in the southeast are notorious for propane line chewing.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    The gas will cause the tape to get all gooey and soft. Barbed brass fittings and 1/2 inch PEX clamps worked perfectly for me. Rodents in the southeast are notorious for propane line chewing.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    You are correct about the fittings being a better solution if there is enough slack, but the silicone tape won't get all gooey like normal tape since it doesn't have the adhesive. It's designed to handle oils and corrosive agents, or at least the stuff I used to carry. Think it was called Bondx or something like that. Great addition to the electronics toolbox when I had to insulate cables and connections that were exposed to oils and chemicals (like wiring for tooling machinery). Was great for a quick fix until proper repairs could be made where electrical tape would turn nasty and ineffective rather quickly. Major drawback is it has to stick to itself and won't adhere to surfaces. We used it on a few low pressure oil lines to the machines as a fix, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast