Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leveling

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    I’ve seen it stated rather strenuously, not to have the tires off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah, but is there any reason given? Or "It just doesn't feel right" type of thing? I read a lot of posts from people that have no issues with it, and even
    use the auto-leveling system to raise the trailer completely off the ground for suspension work, or changing tires.

This appears to be one of those topics with vehement adherents on both sides. I lean toward the side that it won't hurt anything if a wheel is off the
    ground. But JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like to use blocks. I prefer to dig holes for the high side tires. Keep in mind that I boondock 100%.
    Digging holes has many advantages. It is the best wheel chock there is. So long as gravity works, the trailer isn't going anywhere.
    The steps never get too high. A lower trailer is more stable if the wind kicks up. No wood, blocks etc. to buy and bring along. All you need is a shovel which is a handy thing to have in camp anyways. There is no way for the trailer to roll off of the blocks, because there isn't any.
    I learned this trick from some oldtimers over 20 years ago. I haven't used blocks ever since.

Now with this momentum, I did throw some blocks together specifically in case the leveling system needs them. The jury is still out on that.
    I had some issues with it that ended up being the rear sensor was not attached to anything.. Since then I haven't needed the blocks. If that continues I will probably quit bringing them along, and be block and chock free again.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had three tires off the ground one time, albeit not very far off the ground....maybe a 1/2 to 3/4". Since the trailer was resting on the hydraulic leveler feet, it was still rock solid. One of the issues that can happen sometimes when tires come up off the ground is that the spring shackles will flip down because of the weight of the axles and tires. That obviously needs to be corrected while lowering and before you travel with them flipped. I've not had that happen, and I'm not quite sure how to get them to flip back in place, but I have read of it happening from several different people.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry 4" thick wood blocks for soft ground or unlevel site so the rams don't go out of stroke but have never leveled rv. I just put blocks under leveler's and hit auto. In 5 yrs and two 5ers with auto level I've only had tires off the ground 3 or 4 time be it's never been an issue.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Why would you be concerned? It does no harm to have a tire or two off the ground. Unless your owner's manual expressly forbids it anyway.
    Quote from the manual for our 2017 307MKS: “Do not use the landing legs to raise the tires off the ground.”

I don’t know the exact number of degrees it takes to have a tire off the ground, but it doesn’t take much side to side. We use a good old fashioned level on the pin box that I can see from the cab to get as level as possible side to side within a particular camp site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	36465

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kent
    2017 Reflection 307MKS
    2019 F250 6.7 SB 4x4 B&W Companion slider
    GD 307MKS Dec. 2020, Jayco X17Z Hybrid 6 years, Jayco 308 Pop-up 18 years

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least some of the manuals recommend against raising the trailer off the tires. It does make a person wonder if they don't have that warning anymore because they've
    discovered it does no harm. I notice some of the leveling hydraulic cylinders are much larger in diameter, and appear much stronger than others. Perhaps that's the reason?
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will auto-level and if one-side has tires off the ground, will manually raise if I have to, to get lynx blocks under them, then lower back down and adjust manually if needed. Easier than moving the rig.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllRs307 View Post
    Quote from the manual for our 2017 307MKS: “Do not use the landing legs to raise the tires off the ground.”

I don’t know the exact number of degrees it takes to have a tire off the ground, but it doesn’t take much side to side. We use a good old fashioned level on the pin box that I can see from the cab to get as level as possible side to side within a particular camp site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	36465

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I read the 2017 307MKS didn't have the AutoLevel feature, just front and rear stabilizers. That is a common warning concerning the stabilizers.

Or did I read incorrectly?
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 09-04-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always power up the leveling keypad before unhooking and check the reading on side to side. If over 2* I’ll pull the low side up on leveling blocks.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    I always power up the leveling keypad before unhooking and check the reading on side to side. If over 2* I’ll pull the low side up on leveling blocks.
    Again, why do you do that? Following a specific warning against it, or just because you've always done it? We always leveled the 5th wheel side-to-side before unhooking, but we didn't
    have the AutoLevel. IMO having the AutoLevel means you don't have to mess with manual leveling as much. What am I missing?
    Howard and Peggy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast