User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Leveling

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to plead ignorance on unlocking an over-extended jack, since I have not experienced it first hand. There are several threads here that make reference to it though.

i've been bamboozled a couple of times thinking that a site was level and ended up lifting the wheels off the ground.
    When I had a TT, I used a torpedo level to do the manual leveling. It got me to where I thought it was close. It was not. Now I carry a 4' carpenter level and when I get to a site I open the door and lay the level across the floor. It tells me how many, if any, blocks I need on what side. For my needs, a half bubble is close enough to auto level. Putting 5 or 6 Linx blocks under the rear pads insures I have minimal travel from the rear jacks.
    I'm still in the camp that thinks lifting the wheels off the ground is not good. I worry more about frame damage than jack damage simply because even though the jacks are doing the lifting during leveling, the wheels are still helping to support the load and also because the reflections are not built of the same material as the Solitude.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 09-05-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I'm still in the camp that thinks lifting the wheels off the ground is not good. I worry more about frame damage than jack damage simply because even though the jacks are doing the lifting during leveling, the wheels are still helping to support the load and also because the reflections are not built of the same material as the Solitude.
    The Lippert manual makes reference to “Twist Protection” to prevent damage to the frame when operating the rear jacks in manual mode. I would think it also takes that into account in auto mode.

Certainly the frame will deflect more fore/aft when wheels are off the ground, but since the back jacks are relatively close to the back wheels compared to the distance to the front jacks, it may not be much worse. Note that even when wheels are on the ground if there is little to no spring compression then most/all of the load will be on the jacks anyway.

The Lippert Ground Control 3 manual does not say lifting wheels off the ground is a structural problem and they also make the frame. Grand Design however says do not lift wheels off the ground in the Reflection manual, so that’s what I’m going to follow and it seems the more conservative and safer approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kent
    2017 Reflection 307MKS
    2019 F250 6.7 SB 4x4 B&W Companion slider
    GD 307MKS Dec. 2020, Jayco X17Z Hybrid 6 years, Jayco 308 Pop-up 18 years

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345