User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear Sag

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, air bags are the most sensible solution. You don't absolutely have to have an "onboard" compressor on the truck, although I admit that it helps. I have both airbags and a compressor onboard the truck....mounted in the toolbox in the bed of the truck. It is not an automatic thing though. I piped up the compressor originally for my air horns. Then, when I added air bags, I bought a few pipe fitting and put a quick disconnect fitting in the air circuit. All I have to do is open the toolbox, attach the 25' hose that I carry in there and air up to the pressure needed to re-level the truck. When we get to our campsite and are going to be there for more than an overnight stop, I simply let out all but about 5-7 lbs of air. Then I air it back up before we leave to travel or the return trip back home. It's working out well for us and the truck rides level....as does the camper.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I did not mention anything in my OP about exceeding CCC.
    No problem then! I just wanted to make sure that was noted (for others reading it).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Vancouver, BC, Colorado and the Southwest
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle pump easily fills air bags.

Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    To me, air bags are the most sensible solution. You don't absolutely have to have an "onboard" compressor on the truck, although I admit that it helps. I have both airbags and a compressor onboard the truck....mounted in the toolbox in the bed of the truck. It is not an automatic thing though. I piped up the compressor originally for my air horns. Then, when I added air bags, I bought a few pipe fitting and put a quick disconnect fitting in the air circuit. All I have to do is open the toolbox, attach the 25' hose that I carry in there and air up to the pressure needed to re-level the truck. When we get to our campsite and are going to be there for more than an overnight stop, I simply let out all but about 5-7 lbs of air. Then I air it back up before we leave to travel or the return trip back home. It's working out well for us and the truck rides level....as does the camper.
    Air bags levelled my F350 SRW very nicely. I don't have an onboard compressor. Installer replaced license plate screws with the valves. I realized I could use a bicycle pump as easiest solution to air them up. It takes two minutes.
    Chris G.
    2018 Solitude 344GK, Roadmaster Slipper Springs, DeeMax hydraulic brakes
    2020 F350 SRW, Long Box, Air Lift 5000 air bags, Curt A20 hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word

Timbrens

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking of adding Timbrins. When I connect the trailer my truck sags about 1.5.-2 inches. WD hitch helps quite a bit but not enough.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the air lifts bags and have been great for 5k plus miles. No onboard as the Viair was already there
    2019 Solitude 377MBSR
    2018 RAM 3500 LB dually CC 4x4 deisel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put SumoSprings on my Silverado 2500 towing a 320MKS to get rid of the sag, and they work great towing. Couldn't be happier - great ride and stays level. They're less than a third the cost of airbags and a compressor and easy to install in your driveway.

But...it's a harsh ride while driving empty so I'll be switching to airbags soon. It's noticably jarring up front and nobody likes riding in the back seat, so I'll bite the bullet for airbags and onboard compressor.
    Colin & Kathy
    2021 Reflection 320MKS -- 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MechWolf View Post
    I put SumoSprings on my Silverado 2500 towing a 320MKS to get rid of the sag, and they work great towing. Couldn't be happier - great ride and stays level. They're less than a third the cost of airbags and a compressor and easy to install in your driveway.

But...it's a harsh ride while driving empty so I'll be switching to airbags soon. It's noticably jarring up front and nobody likes riding in the back seat, so I'll bite the bullet for airbags and onboard compressor.
    I had the same sagging concerns. (About 2 1/2 inches of sag) Completed putting air bags on this summer and it takes about 24-30 psi to eliminate sag completely. I did not install a compressor and find the amount of air required to fill to 30 psi is not a lot. Hand pump works in less than a couple minutes and a small 12 volt compressor is mere seconds. Trailer is level and what I notice is: No change in sway when passing or being passed by big rigs. Wasn't a problem before and no change. Headlights no longer blind on-coming traffic - Did get complaints from oncoming traffic if towing at night and I have better illumination. And what I notice and appreciate most is the front end returns to normal height VS being raised when bed sags. I believe I have better steering control. My intent is not to change weight ratings and to eliminate sag and good so far this summer. I did consider some of the other systems (Summo, Timbrens,etc.) and read complaints about driveability/comfort when not trailering. So this was my solution and I now have an additional inflation check when towing. BTW, mostly Colorado mountain driving. Good luck with your decision.
    Gary & Jorie
    2021 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel, MorRyde CRE 3000, MorRyde Pin Box, Renogy Solar,
    2019 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500HD Duramax Std Box, Firestone Air Bags,
    Arvada, Colorado

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measured at the wheel wells, there is a three inch difference between hited and unhitched height. I'd like for the truck to stay level, but I don't want something that involves inflating/deflating. What are my options.
    I have read, but can not verify that a F250 can be made to match the payload capacity of a F350 by adding leaf springs in the rear. Is there any truth to this or is just Internet dribble?
    The truck handles great and there are no issues towing the camper, just would like to get rid of the sag.
    You can't make an F-250 into an F-350 because in some states they are in different classes. A 350 or 3500 in some states are considered commercial, because their gross weight is over 10,000#. I have added Timbrens to my F250. They are inexpensive and easy to install yourself if you don't mind laying under the truck. It does not need to be jacked up. Timbrens don't effect your unloaded ride and my rear only lowers about 1.5"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1711.jpg  
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measured at the wheel wells, there is a three inch difference between hited and unhitched height. I'd like for the truck to stay level, but I don't want something that involves inflating/deflating. What are my options.
    I have read, but can not verify that a F250 can be made to match the payload capacity of a F350 by adding leaf springs in the rear. Is there any truth to this or is just Internet dribble?
    The truck handles great and there are no issues towing the camper, just would like to get rid of the sag.
    A couple of questions that I don't see in any of the responses. How much does your bed sag when you load it? I would expect 1 - 1 1/2 ". How much clearance do you have between the cap and the bed? My hitch has 3 height positions which allowed me to level the trailer.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast