Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Sag

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Sag

Measured at the wheel wells, there is a three inch difference between hited and unhitched height. I'd like for the truck to stay level, but I don't want something that involves inflating/deflating. What are my options.
    I have read, but can not verify that a F250 can be made to match the payload capacity of a F350 by adding leaf springs in the rear. Is there any truth to this or is just Internet dribble?
    The truck handles great and there are no issues towing the camper, just would like to get rid of the sag.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check the rear axle weight rating. My F350 has a 7000 lb rear axle rating. If yours is good for what you are hauling, you could consider putting on overload springs, like the ones that come from the factory. Or you could put an F350 spring block on the rear axle.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Measured at the wheel wells, there is a three inch difference between hited and unhitched height. I'd like for the truck to stay level, but I don't want something that involves inflating/deflating. What are my options.
    I have read, but can not verify that a F250 can be made to match the payload capacity of a F350 by adding leaf springs in the rear. Is there any truth to this or is just Internet dribble?
    The truck handles great and there are no issues towing the camper, just would like to get rid of the sag.
    Adding springs is good, but will not change your CCC. There are two strikes against towing above the CCC on the sticker.

First is, if you have an accident, your insurance company can make the claim that your truck was towing more weight than the manufacturer stated, and deny your claim.

Second, if you get pulled over by DOT, in any state, they can request to weight your rig. If you refuse, as is your right, they will cite you for something (I don't remember/know what). If the do consent, they can cite you for being over weight. Both are pretty expensive tickets, and might cost you your license; which means your rig gets towed.

My recommendation is Sumo Springs. No air inflation needed. Helps level the tow vehicle. I'll be adding them to both my F350 and my 320MKS 5ver.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not even close to maxing out my truck and the intention is not to be able to tow beyond it's linits. It's simply looking for a way to keep the truck level when the 5ver is hitched.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Adding springs is good, but will not change your CCC. There are two strikes against towing above the CCC on the sticker.

First is, if you have an accident, your insurance company can make the claim that your truck was towing more weight than the manufacturer stated, and deny your claim.

Second, if you get pulled over by DOT, in any state, they can request to weight your rig. If you refuse, as is your right, they will cite you for something (I don't remember/know what). If the do consent, they can cite you for being over weight. Both are pretty expensive tickets, and might cost you your license; which means your rig gets towed.

My recommendation is Sumo Springs. No air inflation needed. Helps level the tow vehicle. I'll be adding them to both my F350 and my 320MKS 5ver.

I've heard these same arguments for years, but no one has ever produced an evidence that either one of them has ever
    happened.

Just curious, if the DOT pulled you over and weighed you, what would they determine is overweight? What numbers do they use? GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, a combination of all
    of the above?

Again, I've never heard of anyone with first hand experience of being denied coverage based on their weight, in case of an accident. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I've
    just never heard of it happening.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I'm not even close to maxing out my truck and the intention is not to be able to tow beyond it's linits. It's simply looking for a way to keep the truck level when the 5ver is hitched.
    Adding air bags and an onboard compressor can make leveling your truck as easy as pushing a button. It's the best way to get rid of the sag without making the ride
    unduly harsh. I use air bags for my dually, but no compressor, just add air, it takes about 50 psi to level out my truck. Mine will drop on to the overloads if I don't add
    air, which makes for a very uncomfortable ride when that happens.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've heard these same arguments for years, but no one has ever produced an evidence that either one of them has ever
    happened.

Just curious, if the DOT pulled you over and weighed you, what would they determine is overweight? What numbers do they use? GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, a combination of all
    of the above?

Again, I've never heard of anyone with first hand experience of being denied coverage based on their weight, in case of an accident. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I've
    just never heard of it happening.
    I've got a couple of friends in PD, SO, and DOT. The DOT guys say they usually won't pull a rig over unless its doing something stupid. Every state has different laws, but basically DOT is looking at the big rigs.

As for insurance, my agent advised me about the potential of being dropped off not covered if I was over the CCC of the tow vehicle.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not mention anything in my OP about exceeding CCC.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Sag

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post

As for insurance, my agent advised me about the potential of being dropped off not covered if I was over the CCC of the tow vehicle.

How did you ever get into this type of conversation with your agent?
    Mine doesn’t know what I tow plus I can almost guarantee none know what ccc is

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    How did you ever get into this type of conversation with your agent?
    Mine doesn’t know what I tow

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I asked, because I wanted to know.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast