User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wags1020 View Post
    I have 2018 Ford F150 2.7 L Eco boost towing Imagine 2400. Tows ok on flat roads but I wonder about performance in mountainous regions.
    Thanks
    They are correct, it will be a struggle. You need to look at the towing capacity of the F150 and the total loaded weight of the RV. Also, keep in mind the GVW on the truck and the weight of the RV on a CAT scale. I had an F250 and got a Reflection 260RD. The weight GVW for towing was X and my RV weight on the CAT scale was just 100 lbs under the truck ability. That was not fully loaded nor had my wife returned to the truck. I moved to an F350 dually to get the 14,000 lb ability. While it may pull the Imagine, the other question is for how long and at what level of safety.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a ton of answers and it really boils down to if you’re really overcapacity and how comfortable are you. In the end the only person that can decide is you. If you’re overheating, your pushing something too hard. I should not have been going 65 up the huge climb to Yellowstone. But I could for a while and I was within limits (barely) and completely comfortable. You’re experiences will vary.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve towed 6000 lbs of TT with a 2.7 EB 4x2 SC over 10k miles around this beautiful country of ours this past year. Left Florida went west to Arizona then up through Utah, Idaho into Montana, Wyoming and across the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, the UP, across the Bridge to Michigan, Ohio, NY, Vermont, NH and now in Maine. I have never felt that I didn’t have enough truck, either climbing 7-10 % grades or coming down the other side. I travel interstate roads at 65 with 6 th gear locked out, these engines are no joke, and the 6 speed transmission is fantastic. I have over 1500 lbs of payload and have scaled several times to make sure my numbers are good. I use an Equal-I-Zer 10 k WDH, and added Roadmaster Active Suspension to the rear of the truck. Not sure how heavy the 2400 is just wanted to share my experience and 2 cents.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wags1020 View Post
    I have 2018 Ford F150 2.7 L Eco boost towing Imagine 2400. Tows ok on flat roads but I wonder about performance in mountainous regions.
    Thanks
    Every truck is different. My 2020 F150 had no problem pulling a 2500RB from Mississippi to Santa Fe, the Grand Canyon, Brice, Zion, the Monuments, Roswell NM, across the Great Divide and back. E2 Hitch with no white knuckle experience or light to no sway on the Interstate.

The difference is my F150 was built to tow. It came with the Fx4 and tow package. This means back up assist, hitch assist, tow mode, transmission cooler, engine cooler, engine braking, electronic trailer brake control, a heavier payload (2063 lbs), trailer sway control, engine oil cooler, heavier front stabilizer bar, a larger fuel tank (36 gal), and an upgraded rear bumper. Plus some other things.

Just having an F150 with enough horse power is not enough. You need enough torque, payload, engine and transmission cooling and the rest of the stuff that comes with the regular tow package and the Max tow package. An newer F150 with a larger engine and Max Tow Package is a beast.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 295RL (dry only) with my '13 F150 Lariat SCREW with 6.2 and Max Tow. I also installed AirLift 5000's with duel path lines to each bag (cuts equalization between bags), billstein shocks fr/rr, rear stabilizer bar, 13qt tranny pan, and 10 row Ford Saudi replacement tranny cooler with 10ply tires. This setup lets me ride level, no semi road rut movement, no noticeble semi pass movement, and mostly pulls my 295RL likes it not even there. Been to Denver 5k ft and Black Hills 4k ft , no problem. Engine temp stayed cool (never moved) and tranny temp never reached more than 213 f. Would highly recommend these mods for other F150 tow vehicles.

I love my steel bed '13 6.2 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Frankly I agree with the earlier poster about displacement. Owned Turbos before..... very expensive to replace when warranty ends - even the good ones fail eventually. Exhaust heat is a nasty boogger to boost horse power IMO - just my $.02.

If and when this truck ever gets scrapped, maybe going to a Ram 2500. Just depends how I feel about rebuilding my 6.2 at the time.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a 2021 F-150 XLT Sport SCREW SB with the 3.5 EB and Max Tow to pull my 2021 150 Series 260RD.

Bought both new in March. This is our first excursion into towing (previously had a LTV Unity motorhome), so I unwisely took the trailer dealers recommendation on a tow vehicle and bought the F-150.

I have scaled the truck/trailer and I'm constantly over the truck's GVWR. Trailer is typically 8480 with 7100 on the axels.

After a summer of short trips around the flatlands and foothills of southern Alberta, I've made the decision to upgrade to an F-350 before going on longer trips or venturing deep into the Rockies.

The F-150 is a great truck, but it's just not enough to make me comfortable pulling the 260RD. Maneuvering with the 5.5 foot box is no fun either.

Now to decide on the powertrain/gears for the F-350.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you travel any distance at all, I would suggest getting the diesel. The gears won't matter with the 10 speed transmission.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you will have plenty of truck for when you upgrade the trailer, haha

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The max tow heavy duty package on the f150 eco boost has a 14000 max tow rating and 3300 lb pay load. They come with 8 lug wheels and better tires, and a beefier front end. There are other better features with it that I forget at the moment. It has to have the heavy duty payload and max tow to get it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be easier to just drop the 3.5 Ecoboost into a super duty. I have wondered for years why they just don't do that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast