User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2018 3.5EB with a 230RL fifth wheel and have towed all over the Rockies, I have any issues, the turbos do stay spooled up with 6 &7 % grades and it does well……I don’t max out the trailer loads….I just got back from running the US60 route from NM to Globe…..did just fine…..it’s been from AZ to Yellowstone east to the Mississippi and back…..the gas mileage varies but I have the 36 gallon tank…..I am not to sure about the 2.7 but the 10 speed auto is really good

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    I'm using a 2021 F-150 XLT Sport SCREW SB with the 3.5 EB and Max Tow to pull my 2021 150 Series 260RD.

Bought both new in March. This is our first excursion into towing (previously had a LTV Unity motorhome), so I unwisely took the trailer dealers recommendation on a tow vehicle and bought the F-150.

I have scaled the truck/trailer and I'm constantly over the truck's GVWR. Trailer is typically 8480 with 7100 on the axels.

After a summer of short trips around the flatlands and foothills of southern Alberta, I've made the decision to upgrade to an F-350 before going on longer trips or venturing deep into the Rockies.

The F-150 is a great truck, but it's just not enough to make me comfortable pulling the 260RD. Maneuvering with the 5.5 foot box is no fun either.

Now to decide on the powertrain/gears for the F-350.
    Other than the numbers being over, did you have issues? If you had the payload package where the number’s remained green, would you have kept your setup?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct on watching the gvwr, we looked at other 150 series with the 280 and 295, but it put my load (pin weight) to the max….I have the upgraded max tow package on my King Ranch that allows 14000lb according to my Vin and Ford, but it was the pin weight that put me back to the 230RL,, I also have added air bags and this helped with the stability, but I am upgrading to load E tires and new HD shocks…..I have an acquaintance that has a 350….he towed a larger Momentum, but his friend had a 295 and didn’t like it so he bought it…..he said the difference in towing was night and day….

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Half Ton View Post
    Other than the numbers being over, did you have issues? If you had the payload package where the number’s remained green, would you have kept your setup?
    Sorry for the late reply.

That's a really good question, that I don't have an answer for. The 3.5 has lots of power and has no problem pulling the trailer.

All I can tell you is that I'm not comfortable with the current setup. I find the F-150 is 'soft' and it seems as though the front end is floating. There is also a 'chugging' sensation that I don't like.

I've ordered a 2022 F-350 CC with the 7.3 gas and 3.73 rear end. Looking forward to towing with it.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newer F150s with 3.5 EB and 10 speed trans are very capable trucks. I have a 2019 and tow. 2022 3100RD. It’s good for me and my needs. But…if I could garage a 250, I’d prefer it. The 150 is also our daily vehicle. I’ve been towing for over 50 years so feel confident towing and am satisfied with the truck I have. I would advise others however to consider the 250 or larger with 30+ foot trailers, and all fivers. Ultimately, though, to each his own.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow our 295RL (dry) with our '13 F150 SCREW 6.2ltr with Reese 16k hitch and Turning Point. Have added AirLift Ultimate 5000 dual path air bag setup, Hellwig rear anti sway bar, Bilstein 5100's (ride height set @ 1.5"), Aluminum AFE 6r80 deep transmission pan, Ford (Saudi) 10 row tranny cooler, and Hankook 10 ply LT tires on stock rims. My '13 pulls my 295RL likes it not even there. Trans temp stays under 215 when pulling up grade (normal 201 to 203), truck runs level wtih 15 lbs in bags, and doesn't have any issues with light front end play or stopping, and still get 10mpg when towing. Couldn't be happier with my setup.

The addition of the anti sway bar and LT tires made the biggest difference on highway driving with excessive wind and poor road maintenance (truck ruts). Again don't feel them at all.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    There's no replacement for displacement.

Yup…total agree.

Coops
    2021 Reflection 303 RLS
    2012 Ram 3500 Cummins short box Crew Cab
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    Kamloops BC 🍁

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123