User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dish or Direct?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dish or Direct?

I've never had either......we have Cox cable at home.....just qant something for the road.....so:

Dish or Direct and what antenna works best?
    We have the standard antenna in our 230, just don't know if it's best.
    Thanks all.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of about 2019, DirecTV no longer offers HD TV with a portable/automatic (dome style) satellite antenna. You would either have to settle for SD or set up your own larger dish antenna manually each time. I recommend Dish Network with a Wally receiver and a Pathway X2 antenna. You can get an outdoor account and change your local channels as you move around. The Winegard Pathway X2 also has the advantage of being the only portable automatic antenna that will pick up both the eastern and western Dish satellites. This translates to HD TV with locals anywhere in the country. You can also add a hard drive to the Wally for DVR capability. We've been very happy with this setup for six years, now.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rob. If you are starting from scratch dish is a much better system for RV’s than direct. I prefer direct as a whole and is what I have at home. But if I was using it primarily for an rv, dish is the way I would go.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I was about to start a poll on "how you get TV programming when camping" when I saw this thread.

I'm a streamer at home for all my entertainment programming but when I started thinking about what I should get for my new travel trailer (soon to be delivered) I was not convinced streaming will work as good as I want. So I stumbled across an ad yesterday for Dish at $65 per month that includes the hopper smart HD DVR and the price is locked in for 2 years.

I currently use Hulu for my TV programming and I switched to Hulu from Dish because it was less expensive. Now my Hulu is more expensive than this Dish offer and I can add-on a RV package for as low as $5 a month. I'm wondering if I could just use the RV antenna for the camper and home at a lower monthly cost.

We did like Dish when we had it a few years ago. I still have the antenna on my house and a few Joey units.

I will still keep my 1G service at home, I just won't have Hulu at >$70 per month.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Funny, I was about to start a poll on "how you get TV programming when camping" when I saw this thread.

I'm a streamer at home for all my entertainment programming but when I started thinking about what I should get for my new travel trailer (soon to be delivered) I was not convinced streaming will work as good as I want. So I stumbled across an ad yesterday for Dish at $65 per month that includes the hopper smart HD DVR and the price is locked in for 2 years.

I currently use Hulu for my TV programming and I switched to Hulu from Dish because it was less expensive. Now my Hulu is more expensive than this Dish offer and I can add-on a RV package for as low as $5 a month. I'm wondering if I could just use the RV antenna for the camper and home at a lower monthly cost.

We did like Dish when we had it a few years ago. I still have the antenna on my house and a few Joey units.

I will still keep my 1G service at home, I just won't have Hulu at >$70 per month.
    Thanks Corky2, I think a post/poll would still be a great thing.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have what Rob has and really like it. We also added the dongle plug in to the Wally that lets you use your internet source (hot spot for us) to watch Netflix or prime.
    2015 Solitude 320x
    2023 GMC 3500HD SRW Duramax long box
    B&W companion hitch non-slider

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Rob said. Couldn't have described it better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post

Just be aware that not all Dish receivers are compatible with the portable automatic antennas. Here's a list:

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/18460...de%20DFMRV.pdf

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Just be aware that not all Dish receivers are compatible with the portable automatic antennas. Here's a list:

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/18460...de%20DFMRV.pdf

Rob
    Thanks for the help!

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither?

FWIW, we had Direct TV in or last RV, 2 receivers and an external dish on a tripod. To say it was a hassle to set up is an understatement. Now we use streaming exclusively for our TV's. It is set up once and is always the same wherever you are in the CONUS. We have a hotspot/MiFi and our phones as hotspots if needed. Bear in mind that Dish or Direct only give you TV. However if you stream at home and have IPTV accounts you can do the same on the road. Additionally hotspots/MiFi's give you access to a lot more that TV programming, think e-mail, internet, video calls, etc.... Something you may well be paying for as well as paying for a TV signal.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast