Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC Issue with generator and new inverter

Back in Jan I installed an inverter to handle half the rig (no ac, fireplace, or water heater) and we use a Champion 3500 dual fuel generator. I had run the AC on the generator prior to installing the inverter in the past so there is no power issue prior to that. I have run the ac when plugged into shore power.

This weekend was the first time trying to run the AC off of the generator with the inverter installed and it did not work. It would start for a few seconds and stop so apparently it can not longer handle this start up surge voltage with the inverter installed. No breakers or anything else tripped. My EMS did have a yellow light show up briefly when this occured nad then went away which is caution and states "voltage on ground" on the manual page https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/c...al-french.html.

I've seen soft start discussed and I've seen articles on grounding plugs which makes me think this might be the choice based on the yellow light. Any insights would be helpful?
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    Back in Jan I installed an inverter to handle half the rig (no ac, fireplace, or water heater) and we use a Champion 3500 dual fuel generator. I had run the AC on the generator prior to installing the inverter in the past so there is no power issue prior to that. I have run the ac when plugged into shore power.

This weekend was the first time trying to run the AC off of the generator with the inverter installed and it did not work. It would start for a few seconds and stop so apparently it can not longer handle this start up surge voltage with the inverter installed. No breakers or anything else tripped. My EMS did have a yellow light show up briefly when this occured nad then went away which is caution and states "voltage on ground" on the manual page https://www.manualshelf.com/manual/c...al-french.html.

I've seen soft start discussed and I've seen articles on grounding plugs which makes me think this might be the choice based on the yellow light. Any insights would be helpful?
    Not sure I can comment on your exact situation, but I installed soft starts on both of my AC's (15k &13.5k). I can run each on my 2000W inverter and my Westinghouse 2500 generator. I couldn't do either before installing the soft starts.
    2021 Winnebago 2932 5th wheel
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla
    2018 Reflection 220RK - sold 11/20
    2018 Titan XD 4x4 SL - sold 11/20

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure which EMS you have but this is because the neutral is not bonded to the ground through the genny.

Progressive sells an adapter to fix this issue…

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B01BYSFQSW
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made a bonded ground and that solved the problem. Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodenc View Post
    This weekend was the first time trying to run the AC off of the generator with the inverter installed and it did not work.
    It would start for a few seconds and stop so apparently it can not longer handle this start up surge voltage with the inverter installed.
    The AC tried to start and then goes off when powered by the generator? Generator kept running?

What type of inverter is installed?
    An Inverter that only inverts from batteries or an Inverter/Charger that charges batteries and inverts from them?

If just half the 50A power is wired thru the inverter, does it have an auto transfer switch?

How are the neutrals (Inverter's, 50A Inlet's) tied into the circuit breaker panel?

It does sound like there's additional amp load on the generator now than before the inverter was installed, so a soft start would help with the AC's compressor starting amps.

The error on the EMS/surge would be from no Neutral bond since inverter generator's electronic output circuits don't bond to their alternator windings.
    If running just off generator power, I wouldn't think the EMS/Surge would need to be plugged in.

edit: I see you sorted it out while I was typing.
    Last edited by gbkims; 09-05-2021 at 09:02 AM.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For posterity and others who run into this:

Yes, AC would very briefly start and then stop and the generator would keep going.
    Victron Multiplus 3000 on half the 50 amp which I beleive has the auto transfer

I'm a mechanical engineer and i understand some electrical. The idea of the surge causing a problem made sense just as the issue I had when plugged in at home into a GFCI caused the gfci to trip when I was first testing the inverter. Some sort of timing issue between the home gfci and inverter. I assumed it needed a soft start due to some timing issue so why the neutral-ground bond worked I'm not sure unless it is a timing within the surge protector along with the generator and invertor that caused the issue.

Thanks for the replies.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500