Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Controller Gain Setting and Sway Question

I've read on a few other threads about the test at 15mph test. I plan to do this. The dealer I believe set the gain to 3.5 and we are towing an Imagine 2400bh with a 2012 tunda (tow package). The braking on the way home seemed fine.

1. What gain setting are you running?
    2. How often does this need to be changed

My family is brand new to travel trailers and towing. In the event that we get sway, I understand that I am to manually apply the brake controller by squeezing the brake controller. Do you squeeze it all the way apply some brakes and see what happens?

Thank you!
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2012 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 V8 (Tow Package)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Squeezing it applies the brakes on the trailer. The more you squeeze, the more braking force you get on just the trailer. In a sway situation, just use the brake controller to slow things down, DON'T touch the truck brakes until the sway has stopped.
    Once you find your optimal setting, you can usually leave it as is. Having to increase it is a sign that your trailer brakes need attention.

Note that for some trucks, if the controller is factory supplied, they couple the force applied to the trailer brakes to the speedometer. So the 15 mph test doesn't work - the truck is applying just enough to avoid lockup, no matter what setting you use. I set mine to the point where when I start to step on the brake, I can feel the trailer pulling back. On my F-150, that means a "10". Might be too much, but since the truck is preventing lock-up, the worst that will happen is more wear on the trailer brakes than the truck brakes. But brake shoes on a trailer are FAR cheaper than a brake job on my truck.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Controller Gain Setting and Sway Question

You ask some great questions. Brake controllers are something that is set case by case. Each truck and trailer have their own nuances. On my setup, I am running around 6.5

My setup consists of 2019 3500 SRW Duramax and a 2020 315rlts.

I never did the 15mph thing. I just tweak the settings until it “feels” right. I have a bit over 3k on this rig so far and I think it is set in the sweet spot. The method I used is pretty close to what sande005 did. I set it until I feel the trailer brakes are pulling hard, and back off 1. So for me, at 7.5 it was overpowering my truck brakes and I backed off. Depending on the conditions, sometimes I may go up or down by .5, but it stays at the same general setting.
    Last edited by Redapple63; 09-05-2021 at 02:38 AM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test them at the start of every trip. I use lots of different trailers, so it's necessary for me. You should follow what the manual says for testing the brake controller. I always test on a steep down hill near my house, as well. Squeeze the controller to ensure the trailer can slow your tow vehicle down. You don't want any chance of the trailer pushing you down a hill. Once on your journey, if you notice the trailer slowing your vehicle down, reduce it a bit. It should be neither pushing nor pulling you.
    When sway is bad, just squeeze the controller all the way. You're gonna know when it's scary how hard to squeeze. If it's just starting to sway, you can ease it on. But don't touch your brake pedal, at all.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masecmp View Post
    I've read on a few other threads about the test at 15mph test. I plan to do this. The dealer I believe set the gain to 3.5 and we are towing an Imagine 2400bh with a 2012 tunda (tow package). The braking on the way home seemed fine.

1. What gain setting are you running?
    2. How often does this need to be changed

My family is brand new to travel trailers and towing. In the event that we get sway, I understand that I am to manually apply the brake controller by squeezing the brake controller. Do you squeeze it all the way apply some brakes and see what happens?

Thank you!
    Just an fyi...your factory new brakes will stop your truck better after they break in. You'll want to reassess after a few thousand miles. To me, the sweet spot is where you don't feel the trailer brakes working more than the truck brakes. You can feel the equilibrium.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to the good advise you've already received, I strongly recommend adjusting your brakes after about 500 to 1000 miles. At first our trailer brakes weren't working all that great. After I went under and adjusted them they worked much better. As for sway, I strongly recommend getting a good reputable WDH with sway control. Anderson, Blue Ox, Husky to name a few.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE