User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to towing and making my check list before i have a bad oops

Today I hooked up the truck to the trailer for the third time so I can install the snap pads since we're having brake problems with the truck and didn't go out in it like we were supposed to and after we were done with everything I disconnected the power cord but didn't release the latch on the fifth wheel hitch and started to take off of which I didn't get very far and hopefully didn't cause any problems when i released the hitch. it was definitely an oh crap moment for me which is why I am making my check list from beginning to end in the hopes I can avoid any bad scenarios with the new 295rl. since the rear feet are pretty low as it is and with the snappads is another inch lower, does anyone bother to take their rear feet off during their travels in the hopes it won't bottom out on anything? All comments all welcome. I find it better to learn from someone else's mistakes before i make one of my own.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My comment is, expect to make mistakes and don't get too upset when it happens. There is nobody experienced here who hasn't made a mistake. It a question of when, not if. Don't rush. Don't allow anyone to distract you when hitching or unhitching. If you've got to be somewhere at a certain time, you are already making a mistake.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott is 100% correct best advice !
    I broke my back window and put a scratch on our brand new solitude backing in the driveway the first time . Forget to slide the slider hitch that i bought just for this reason.
    Oh and the truck had 4k miles on it also .
    Well if that the worst that happens I'm totally good with it !

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner58 View Post
    Scott is 100% correct best advice !
    I broke my back window and put a scratch on our brand new solitude backing in the driveway the first time . Forget to slide the slider hitch that i bought just for this reason.
    Oh and the truck had 4k miles on it also .
    Well if that the worst that happens I'm totally good with it !
    So far I haven't had to use the slider considering I have a 150 series 295rl and a 6'4" bed but totall watch when i am turning either forward or backwards. I am getting more comfortable not only towing but being able to hook up by myself. totally happy with this truck and trailer combo. Unfortunately I have to take it back in for some more warranty work on thursday but most of the campgrounds are closed around here anyways so no big deal on that part.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.