User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to towing and making my check list before i have a bad oops

Today I hooked up the truck to the trailer for the third time so I can install the snap pads since we're having brake problems with the truck and didn't go out in it like we were supposed to and after we were done with everything I disconnected the power cord but didn't release the latch on the fifth wheel hitch and started to take off of which I didn't get very far and hopefully didn't cause any problems when i released the hitch. it was definitely an oh crap moment for me which is why I am making my check list from beginning to end in the hopes I can avoid any bad scenarios with the new 295rl. since the rear feet are pretty low as it is and with the snappads is another inch lower, does anyone bother to take their rear feet off during their travels in the hopes it won't bottom out on anything? All comments all welcome. I find it better to learn from someone else's mistakes before i make one of my own.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you will mess up from time to time, you only try to ensure they're minor screw ups.

Try to set a routine, and make it one that you can stick to, and use that routine every time to set up and tear down. Check lists certainly help, and walk arounds do the same.
    Try not to let yourself get distracted if at all possible. Main thing is "DON"T HURRY". Even if it's raining, take your time and make sure you finish a task before starting another one.

Another biggie: Never Assume something has been done, check and know it's been done.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Well, you will mess up from time to time, you only try to ensure they're minor screw ups.

Try to set a routine, and make it one that you can stick to, and use that routine every time to set up and tear down. Check lists certainly help, and walk arounds do the same.
    Try not to let yourself get distracted if at all possible. Main thing is "DON"T HURRY". Even if it's raining, take your time and make sure you finish a task before starting another one.

Another biggie: Never Assume something has been done, check and know it's been done.
    Totally agree but it was pretty much nervousness more than anything else. I'm pretty OCD and usually get into a routine when i do something but until I do it a number of times I'm making this check list.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can check out the Lippert literature for your jacks and will find what they consider to be in specification for ground clearance. Recently, there was a pretty good discussion here about jacks being seemingly to low, and you get one answer from Lippert and another from Grand Design. Consensus was to raise them a bolt hole up and carry more blocks. I'll be honest with you, I was on the fence having towed just north of 10K miles with ours... Then after all that travel, all those fuel stations and campgrounds, I found myself in a geometry with the coupled trailer that resulted in lightly scrubbing the rear jacks - SnapPads protected from any damage. They're riding a bolt-hole up now!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You can check out the Lippert literature for your jacks and will find what they consider to be in specification for ground clearance. Recently, there was a pretty good discussion here about jacks being seemingly to low, and you get one answer from Lippert and another from Grand Design. Consensus was to raise them a bolt hole up and carry more blocks. I'll be honest with you, I was on the fence having towed just north of 10K miles with ours... Then after all that travel, all those fuel stations and campgrounds, I found myself in a geometry with the coupled trailer that resulted in lightly scrubbing the rear jacks - SnapPads protected from any damage. They're riding a bolt-hole up now!
    So You are able to lift the rear legs of the self leveling system up?
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    So You are able to lift the rear legs of the self leveling system up?
    The jacks are bolted to brackets welded to the frame. On many models there is enough room to raise them up a mounting hole and still be able to get to the access and fit in a ratchet for emergency manual operation. If there is not sufficient clearance, Lippert makes shorter jacks. Like you also said, you can take of the jack foot for travel and get about 3/4" additional clearance too.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The jacks are bolted to brackets welded to the frame. On many models there is enough room to raise them up a mounting hole and still be able to get to the access and fit in a ratchet for emergency manual operation. If there is not sufficient clearance, Lippert makes shorter jacks. Like you also said, you can take of the jack foot for travel and get about 3/4" additional clearance too.
    For right now I guess I would be better off to just take off the feet to get a little clearance with the snappads.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lesson #1 would be to lower the tailgate anytime any fifth wheel trailer is going to be moved--forward or backwards.

Lesson #2 would be to not fully retract the front jacks until the kingpin is fully engaged in the hitch. You don't want to see what a kingpin can do to the pickup box if it slips off the fifth wheel.

A replacement Ford tailgate is $2,000 including clear coat paint.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree about lowering the tailgate. Some trailers are very close to the truck and it's possible to poke a hole in the trailer with the corner of the tailgate,
    if you're not perfectly square. I bought a 5th wheel tailgate and don't regret it for a minute.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S