User Tag List

Thread: Adios Nautilus

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adios Nautilus

I ripped the Nautilus out and built a replacement as some others have done. It was a project first conceived shortly after purchasing our Solitude 310GK/R January 2019, At first look at the unit in the wet bay I have to admit it looked very nice, but after having a chance to crawl around in the basement and looked at the backside I thought this can not be so complicated. I also after close inspection realized it was susceptible to failure and would likely be a costly and difficult repair/replacement and began to draw out some ideas. Procrastination and a wait and see attitude delayed the process, until recently when two of the valves seemed to be failing as they were becoming more difficult to turn and would not align directly down or to the side. So my original preemptive strike became a necessity as we are full-timers.

It took me about 12 hours of work from start to finish and cost $202.00 in parts. I am happy with the result as it so much less complicated, does everything the Nautilus did, the fact all the parts can be obtained locally is a real plus as full-timers and frequent boondockers and it is a more reliable system. In operating with it I discovered the additional benefit of much better water pressure from both the city water and the pump.

In taking the Nautilus a part and removing the panel to build my manifold I realized what a huge effort and PIA it would have been to replace any of the valves and should either the water inlet or black tank flush valves fail it would be a nightmare to do with the panel in place because of the ridiculous way they are secured in place. As I would no longer need the water intake valve, I removed it and had to move the black tank flush valve. In doing so I ended up having to break the crazy retaining contraptions. As part of my overall project, not too much of a big deal, but would be a nightmare if one had to replace one of this valves with the panel in place. I ended up putting a hose clamp on the back of the valve to hold it in place which will make it easier down the road should it need to be replaced.

The first two photos are the before and the last two are the after. Sorry about the orientation, they were correctly oriented before attaching.

Many thanks to FT4Now for his post on the job he did and answering a couple of questions and to a post on the other site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Before1.jpg   Before2.jpg   After1.jpg   After2.jpg  
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Much neater lookin than the original, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this. After looking at the back side of the Nautilus panel, I see why you did this.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a great concept and a very poor implementation. Very messy in the back.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    I ripped the Nautilus out and built a replacement as some others have done. It was a project first conceived shortly after purchasing our Solitude 310GK/R January 2019, At first look at the unit in the wet bay I have to admit it looked very nice, but after having a chance to crawl around in the basement and looked at the backside I thought this can not be so complicated. I also after close inspection realized it was susceptible to failure and would likely be a costly and difficult repair/replacement and began to draw out some ideas. Procrastination and a wait and see attitude delayed the process, until recently when two of the valves seemed to be failing as they were becoming more difficult to turn and would not align directly down or to the side. So my original preemptive strike became a necessity as we are full-timers.

It took me about 12 hours of work from start to finish and cost $202.00 in parts. I am happy with the result as it so much less complicated, does everything the Nautilus did, the fact all the parts can be obtained locally is a real plus as full-timers and frequent boondockers and it is a more reliable system. In operating with it I discovered the additional benefit of much better water pressure from both the city water and the pump.

In taking the Nautilus a part and removing the panel to build my manifold I realized what a huge effort and PIA it would have been to replace any of the valves and should either the water inlet or black tank flush valves fail it would be a nightmare to do with the panel in place because of the ridiculous way they are secured in place. As I would no longer need the water intake valve, I removed it and had to move the black tank flush valve. In doing so I ended up having to break the crazy retaining contraptions. As part of my overall project, not too much of a big deal, but would be a nightmare if one had to replace one of this valves with the panel in place. I ended up putting a hose clamp on the back of the valve to hold it in place which will make it easier down the road should it need to be replaced.

The first two photos are the before and the last two are the after. Sorry about the orientation, they were correctly oriented before attaching.

Many thanks to FT4Now for his post on the job he did and answering a couple of questions and to a post on the other site.
    It looks really good.
    Mine is different, and has some more stuff on it. You said you did not need the FW intake valve? Why?
    On my system I can set it up with a hose to a water jug and use the pump to suck it out of the jug into my FW tank, Can your setup do this?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I did not need the FWT intake because I have a hose connection and ball valve on the lower left, water enters there then routed to where needed. It will do everything the Nautilus does, including pumping from a container or bucket, ie for winterizing.