Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underbelly tape

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underbelly tape

A couple weeks ago I repaired a lousy job the dealer did taping up the underbelly after they worked on the black tank dump valve.

I cleaned the coroplast with a rag and mineral spirits and then again with another rag and alcohol. I used this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and on a smaller slit done for my disc brake conversion I used gorilla tape.

I came back to the trailer a week later and the both the gorilla tape and the underbelly tape had completely fallen off.

What's the secret to getting tape to stick to the underbelly.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent personally used it, but others on this forum have stated the tape they use on mobile home trailers works well. If you search the forum or internet, you might be able to find it. I'm talking about single and double wide trailers when I say mobile home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is the brand I used:
    https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Shiel...02SSGAZG&psc=1

It is really sticky. I had to tape my underbelly on the way to Colorado and lasted probably 3,000 miles until I got home. I did have to fix a few times. Tape was still there, but wind got under the coroplast. Finally went full sheets side-to-side and didn't have an issue after that.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2024 F450 HO Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to cut into the coroplast for a repair out on the road. I always carry Eternabond tape in my repair kit, so that is what I used to join the coroplast back together. Thick tape, but it was still working when I sold it many miles later.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think things might have gone south with the mineral spirits. It's almost impossible to get all of it off - even with alcohol. I've cleaned the Coroplast with just alcohol and the mobile home underbelly repair tape was still holding well three years later.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full-timed for 9 years in a Reflection 337RLS and Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Gorilla tape didn't hold, two things are likely - you used on the 2" versus the wide and your patched area has too much flex. Due to COVID-19, the wider version hasn't been around much. Anyway, first thing, you have to mend the cut sides first in mechanical fashion. I normally use thin aluminum sheet metal as I always have a coil around. A 3- or 4-inch strip behind the coroplast that you can screw the coroplast too. I use self-piercing, truss head screws. For small cuts, you can often get away with stitching it up with zip ties. Just don't poke the holes for them closer than about 1-1/4" from the edge of the coroplast. When you clean coroplast before sealing, NEVER use a petroleum distillate! That is the worst advise out there! If you know what coroplast is made from - no bueno. If you know what is in the off the shelf tape adhesives - no bueno. Get a citrus-based tub of cleaning wipes from the hardware or auto store and scrub the area or use some Purple Power and lint free rag. You can use alcohol after if you'd like, or just wipe with a clean cloth and water to remove the surfactants. If you can't get Gorilla tape wide, seek out at least 4" wide mobile home underbelly repair tape, which has a very, very sticky adhesive such that it's a peel off liner style. If you can't find that, go to a genuine contractor supply and ask for the stickiest tape they have for foundation waterproofing. If it has an incerted black and red triangle logo, it's one of my tapes. After you apply it, and firmly seat the tape to the coroplast surfaces, use a heat gun on low or hair dryer on high and just warm the tape to fully activate the adhesive. The essential takeaway here is that no tape will hold if the coroplast can widely flex as air currents travel along it when in tow. Think of it as a whipping action against the tape.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

King Pin
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I think things might have gone south with the mineral spirits. It's almost impossible to get all of it off - even with alcohol. I've cleaned the Coroplast with just alcohol and the mobile home underbelly repair tape was still holding well three years later.

Rob
    Mineral spirits may have attacked the coroplast and caused adherence problems, but pure mineral spirits will evaporate with no residue left behind. Many years of experience
    working with it.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I think this is the brand I used:
    https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Shiel...02SSGAZG&psc=1

It is really sticky. I had to tape my underbelly on the way to Colorado and lasted probably 3,000 miles until I got home. I did have to fix a few times. Tape was still there, but wind got under the coroplast. Finally went full sheets side-to-side and didn't have an issue after that.
    This is what I used and recommend. Gorilla tape (the 3" size or maybe it was the 4") didn't hold. I use alcohol to clean the area(s) first.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use tie wraps to secure the flaps. I space them about every three inches and they look like stitches..
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If Gorilla tape didn't hold, two things are likely - you used on the 2" versus the wide and your patched area has too much flex. Due to COVID-19, the wider version hasn't been around much. Anyway, first thing, you have to mend the cut sides first in mechanical fashion. I normally use thin aluminum sheet metal as I always have a coil around. A 3- or 4-inch strip behind the coroplast that you can screw the coroplast too. I use self-piercing, truss head screws. For small cuts, you can often get away with stitching it up with zip ties. Just don't poke the holes for them closer than about 1-1/4" from the edge of the coroplast. When you clean coroplast before sealing, NEVER use a petroleum distillate! That is the worst advise out there! If you know what coroplast is made from - no bueno. If you know what is in the off the shelf tape adhesives - no bueno. Get a citrus-based tub of cleaning wipes from the hardware or auto store and scrub the area or use some Purple Power and lint free rag. You can use alcohol after if you'd like, or just wipe with a clean cloth and water to remove the surfactants. If you can't get Gorilla tape wide, seek out at least 4" wide mobile home underbelly repair tape, which has a very, very sticky adhesive such that it's a peel off liner style. If you can't find that, go to a genuine contractor supply and ask for the stickiest tape they have for foundation waterproofing. If it has an incerted black and red triangle logo, it's one of my tapes. After you apply it, and firmly seat the tape to the coroplast surfaces, use a heat gun on low or hair dryer on high and just warm the tape to fully activate the adhesive. The essential takeaway here is that no tape will hold if the coroplast can widely flex as air currents travel along it when in tow. Think of it as a whipping action against the tape.
    Flex of the coroplast slit couldn't have been an issue as the trailer was parked and never moved between the time of the tape application and when it fell off by itself. The tape I used for the main repair was indeed 4" wide mobile home tape.

Thanks for the replies. I'll guess I'll buy some more tape and clean again with alcohol and try again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast