User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Underbelly tape

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    Flex of the coroplast slit couldn't have been an issue as the trailer was parked and never moved between the time of the tape application and when it fell off by itself. The tape I used for the main repair was indeed 4" wide mobile home tape.

Thanks for the replies. I'll guess I'll buy some more tape and clean again with alcohol and try again.
    Also do your best to avoid taping it on a humid day.

I can only speculate some combination of your cleaning with mineral spirits and stale tapes. The all-weather Gorilla Tape is a butyl tape, which is the general kind of tape that sticks "best" to polyolefins. I'm not familiar with that brand of mobile home tape, but the better tapes are polyethylene or polypropylene slit-film scrim with butyl-based adhesive.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was mention of a different type of coroplast being put on a 2021 Solitude and when asked, GD said to use eternabond on it.
    The coroplast had dimpled circular patterns on the surface.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underbelly Tape

Quote Originally Posted by tfgd21bhe View Post
    A couple weeks ago I repaired a lousy job the dealer did taping up the underbelly after they worked on the black tank dump valve.

I cleaned the coroplast with a rag and mineral spirits and then again with another rag and alcohol. I used this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and on a smaller slit done for my disc brake conversion I used gorilla tape.

I came back to the trailer a week later and the both the gorilla tape and the underbelly tape had completely fallen off.

What's the secret to getting tape to stick to the underbelly.
    I’ve had success using RV roof repair and flex-all repair tapes. Both are several inches wide and have excellent cohesion to a multitude of materials including the corrugated underbelly covering underneath my Solitude.

Good luck.
    Seasoned Full-Timer: '19 375 RES Solitude; '18 Ram 3500 Tradesman diesel pickup with a BlueOx 5th wheel & Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I named flex-all as the brand name for a tape I’ve used, the correct brand name is flex seal. My bad.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely the best tape for this is the ZIP tape used in residential & commercial wall construction. Other than ZIP being printed every 12” on the tape, I have no complaints about it’s durability and adhesion. I repaired the underbelly on a friends travel trailer 7 years ago and it’s still in perfect condition. I wouldn’t use it where it would be exposed to the sun for an extended period of time. UV rays will do a number on it in 10-12 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used survey lathes and wood screws, make a frame and walla you have an access if you ever need to get back in.

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem with a dealer's tape repair job coming undone after they made an incision to correct a tank valve issue. Considering all the road contamination and in my case, diesel exhaust residue, I thoroughly cleaned the surface with acetone. Surprisingly, the dealer's tape, re-used, stuck nicely, but I reinforced it with Gorilla tape. After a conversation with the dealership, I understand they use acetone now too. After a subsequent repair there following a recall notice, the dealer's initial repair on that incision is holding up just fine.
    Last edited by north channel novels; 09-11-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Improved grammar and completed a thought.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I think things might have gone south with the mineral spirits. It's almost impossible to get all of it off - even with alcohol. I've cleaned the Coroplast with just alcohol and the mobile home underbelly repair tape was still holding well three years later.

Rob

I used rubbing alcohol too to clean (I believe that is what they recommend) - has held very well.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2018 I had to fix a couple of "openings" in the Coroplast under our Solitude. Lowes sell the same material (white only) in 3 x 4 foot sheets, more or less. To patch a hole when I relocated my battery vent I cut a square piece and after cleaning I used shower and bath silicone to stick it on, then used furnace duct screws (1/4 inch x 1/2 hex head) to hold it all together until the silicone set. Nobody can see it down there anyway.
    I later closed a seam using bigger pieces. Not one of these repairs has failed...yet!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to access the underside of a different brand of trailer a few years ago. I cut a three sided opening leaving the fourth side as a natural hinge in the colorplast. Then used some scraps of treated fence boards to create a frame around the opening so that I could screw the flap shut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	36622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	36623

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast