User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing I haven’t seen mentioned is you can maneuver through more unlevel situations with a pull behind without having to worry about the trailer touching the top of your truck bed or tailgate due to relative motion between the two. On the other hand as mentioned you can turn tighter with a 5th wheel as long as the path is relatively level and it just tows better overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kent
    2017 Reflection 307MKS
    2019 F250 6.7 SB 4x4 B&W Companion slider
    GD 307MKS Dec. 2020, Jayco X17Z Hybrid 6 years, Jayco 308 Pop-up 18 years

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO I would never get a TT toy hauler as they need to be setup properly, and either having or not having that much weight in the rear would drive me crazy trying to keep the WD hitch dialed in. This reason alone would steer me away from TT every time. Ask yourself this. What is the TT to fifth wheel RV accidents do you see?
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 349m-r
    - 8k axles, toppers, 3rd ac, Onan, Solar, Outside Entertainment, King Bed, Heat Pump, 3 Season Doors, Dual Pane Windows, Happi-Jac, Rear Al Deck
    2021 Ford F-450 Limited

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the exact same debate before buying our 31G. We've had absolutely zero towing issues with the Weigh Safe hitch and the trailer in about every configuration it could be. With and without fresh tanks full. With and without our Honda Talon in the garage etc... We boondock almost exclusively and find the 12'1" height of the Momentum TT style toyhaulers much more comfortable to maneuver than the 13'6" height of the 5th wheels. Less weight also and obviously a much lower price point. If you can't tell I am completely sold on the Weigh Safe hitch. It has a TW gauge in the head so you know exactly what the tongue weighs in each configuration. There is a phone app that you input some dimensions into and that actual TW and the app tells you how much distributed weight is necessary to pull well. There is a large thru bolt in the head that operates a pivot for the weight bars so you simply turn the bolt until the gauge reads what the app says. We pull ours effortlessly at 70 mph. We do have a '17 Ram Cummins dually tow vehicle so I'm sure that come into play also. Overall we have been totally happy with the 31G and love the open truck bed for all those things it seems we can't do without.

Last edited by TerryH; 09-08-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    We had the exact same debate before buying our 31G. We've had absolutely zero towing issues with the Weigh Safe hitch and the trailer in about every configuration it could be. With and without fresh tanks full. With and without our Honda Talon in the garage etc... We boondock almost exclusively and find the 12'1" height of the Momentum TT style toyhaulers much more comfortable to maneuver than the 13'6" height of the 5th wheels. Less weight also and obviously a much lower price point. If you can't tell I am completely sold on the Weigh Safe hitch. It has a TW gauge in the head so you know exactly what the tongue weighs in each configuration. There is a phone app that you input some dimensions into and that actual TW and the app tells you how much distributed weight is necessary to pull well. There is a large thru bolt in the head that operates a pivot for the weight bars so you simply turn the bolt until the gauge reads what the app says. We pull ours effortlessly at 70 mph. We do have a '17 Ram Cummins dually tow vehicle so I'm sure that come into play also. Overall we have been totally happy with the 31G and love the open truck bed for all those things it seems we can't do without.

Great to hear!

Looks like they do make a WD hitch (didn't know that until I searched for it). Don't look like it has sway control other than friction from the bars but at least you can adjust tongue to get weight back on the front wheels.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/t...ibution-hitch/
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 349m-r
    - 8k axles, toppers, 3rd ac, Onan, Solar, Outside Entertainment, King Bed, Heat Pump, 3 Season Doors, Dual Pane Windows, Happi-Jac, Rear Al Deck
    2021 Ford F-450 Limited

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDanecker View Post
    Great to hear!

Looks like they do make a WD hitch (didn't know that until I searched for it). Don't look like it has sway control other than friction from the bars but at least you can adjust tongue to get weight back on the front wheels.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/t...ibution-hitch/
    The Weigh Safe True Tow is an interesting piece of engineering as is the companion phone app. Here's a video review of both from my YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi2dkWeXPhM
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me (and it was, about 2 years ago), I'd get a 5th wheel with a Goosebox or GenY hitch on it. You don't lose the truck bed, if you want the entire bed back, it's about 30 seconds (remove the ball) and weighs <10lbs. I pull mine in/out all the time, it's absolutely no hassle at all.

5'ers tow better. Full stop. The weight is distributed better across the truck/trailer, the angles/connection point is better. It's just better, full stop, when you're rolling down the highway. Bumper pull has advantages in some situations (very off level, for example) and also lets you use the entire truck bed, but you're giving up towing performance to get that.

They both have their applications; if you're going to pull it a lot, I'd start with "Can I make a 5'er work" and only if "no, no way that will work" would I go back to a TT. If you're not going to pull it around much, it matters a lot less (taking it 30 miles from your house to a campground you love a few times a year, is very different than jumping on the interstates and drive 100-1000's of miles a year).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Lots of good points. Like I said, not new to dealing with weight distribution, and have had to adjust it plenty. And the issue with the bed is I want it available while I'm towing the camper. I'm leaning towards the 29G. I've towed my current TT 12,000 miles in the last 3 years that's not a big concern.

As for the accidents you see with TTs, every one of them I've ever seen has been way too much trailer for the vehicle. Most are SUVs and 1/2ton trucks towing 32+ feet of trailer. Last one I saw on the side of the road, still had the tires of the truck spinning while it was on its' roof. That one didn't even have a WDH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Thanks everyone. Lots of good points. Like I said, not new to dealing with weight distribution, and have had to adjust it plenty. And the issue with the bed is I want it available while I'm towing the camper. I'm leaning towards the 29G. I've towed my current TT 12,000 miles in the last 3 years that's not a big concern.

As for the accidents you see with TTs, every one of them I've ever seen has been way too much trailer for the vehicle. Most are SUVs and 1/2ton trucks towing 32+ feet of trailer. Last one I saw on the side of the road, still had the tires of the truck spinning while it was on its' roof. That one didn't even have a WDH.
    We went with the 28G in 2019 due to the amount of garage space. I have always had a TT so cannot comment on the towing differences. We just got back from our annual trip to Utah (from WA state) with 2 quads in the the trailer and the truck bed full for 9 days of boondocking. When loading, I put a number of the items in the front bedroom to increase the tongue weight as well as putting the heavier quad in first. Even with the trailer gas tank and water tanks full, I have not had issues with hauling. We have the BlueOx system and to this point have not had any issues with swaying et al (ran into heavy winds from Oregon into Utah this past trip...no issues). For the most part been happy with the 28G, no issues towing. Looking forward to upgrading to a side by side at some point. Good luck on your decision.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0026.jpg  
    Last edited by bcv1218; 09-11-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After moving to a 381m from a TT I would not go back to a bumper pull. The stability of a fiver is amazing vs the tt. Also you would be amazed at how much stuff still fits into a truck bed with the trailer attached. As long as it is clear of the hitch and below the bed rails you should be fine. We carry a 36 gallon rhino tote and several yellow lid black bins + a better built 62gallon transfer tank / toolbox in our 2019 DRW F350.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcot1 View Post
    After moving to a 381m from a TT I would not go back to a bumper pull. The stability of a fiver is amazing vs the tt. Also you would be amazed at how much stuff still fits into a truck bed with the trailer attached. As long as it is clear of the hitch and below the bed rails you should be fine. We carry a 36 gallon rhino tote and several yellow lid black bins + a better built 62gallon transfer tank / toolbox in our 2019 DRW F350.
    Marcot1 nailed it. I have had PU Campers and TT, but the setup in my signature is my first 5’er. I’ll never go back to a TT again, the 5’er is far superior! So much better handling on the Highway and in tight places. Weight distribution on the 5’er is also much better. I have one or two 550cc ATV’s in the garage, or a 700cc Side by side, depending on where I’m headed. If your looking at a 328, go for the M instead of the G. Lots more creature comforts in the 328M.
    Dan and "Big Red". Amateur Radio W7TNU.
    2020 Chevy 3500HD High Country SRW, 6.6L DMX, 10 Speed Allison, 3:42, Cajun Red.
    2017 Momentum 328M, 380w Solar, 14ply's, GM TPMS, Demco Hijacker Autoslide.
    7 ATV's, 2 Dirt Bikes, 3 Snowcats, 1938 Cat D2 Dozer, John Deere Tractor, too many toys...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast