Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum Travel trailer vs 5th wheel

Hi all.

Looking at going to a toy hauler for our Honda pioneer 700-4 so we don't have to take 2 vehicles. I'm going to upgrade to a 1 ton diesel. Due to the dimensions of the UTV I think I need a separate garage so it's a 29G, or a 320/328G. I'm trying to decide if losing the truck bed is worth it for the 5th wheel. I like having the truck bed for saws and other gear when we go to our property or a place for deer when hunting but I really like the floor plan of the 328. Towing a bumper pull doesn't bother me. We've traveled over 10,000 miles in the last couple years with our current trailer.

What does the group say about this? There are a lot of things I like about the 5th wheel, but there are a lot of things I consider cons too.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think it really matters what we say, you need to be happy with what works for your situation. I'd say tools and whatever other gear could possibly go in the garage if there is room with the UTV in there. On the other hand, do you really want a dead deer inside the camper?

I like the towing and stability, ease of hook up with a 5th wheel, but the free bed space is nice with a TT.

You could always consider a Goosebox or AUH for the 5th wheel which would free up the bed as soon as you unhook from the trailer so you dont have a giant hitch taking up the bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You opinion matters more than you think. I have zero experience with 5th wheels. I appreciate it!

With a couple minor differences, the floor plans on the 29G and 328G are pretty similar. I'd like to stay on the "smaller" side because this is still going to be a lot bigger than our current rockwood 2509.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start doing a fair amount of research here across brand forums! Many, many complain about bumper pull toy haulers end up being troublesome tows because the toy in the garage leaves the tongue too light. While I do not have a toyhauler camper, I have had many trailers to haul serious toys between my former racing hobby and my passion for hot rods. Consider your toy, do the math on tongue weight, consider costs of upgraded hitches (e.g., ProPride), etc. so you really make the best decision for you. If my data points helps you, ALL of my trailers are now gooseneck tows - enclosed car carrier, dump trailer, Solitude, and deck.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've seen a ton of people add fresh water as ballast when they have heavy stuff in the garage. Right now, we are dry camping so all that would mean is filling the tank before we leave vs closer to our property.

As for hitches, I'm already using an E4 so I know going with a good one is essential. My current set up does great on the highway. Of course, I'd have to buy a hitch for the 5th wheel too so I see that as a wash.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fifth wheels tow so much better and they're easier to setup than a travel trailer. You don't get blown around on the highway by heavy trucks much.

Unless your terrain is flat and you're not going very far, go for the fifth wheel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5th wheel. Tag along will get you on edge at highway speeds.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope the following helps. I try to compare facts first then experiences afterwards.

Pros:

You will get more room for your trailer length with a 5th wheel due to the cab over truck bed.

You will get better handling with the 5th wheel in nearly all conditions.

Better turning radius with a 5th wheel for those moments you need to cut hard angles.

Usually 5th wheels are more stable walking around inside and feel less like a boat at dock.

Cons:

You will lose truckbed space and access due to 5th wheel hitch.

5th wheel usually has entrance higher off ground which can be a pro and a con.

5th wheels are generally taller and will catch more trees on hunting grounds (and low bridges on the way there).

Generally more expensive than similar bumper pulls.

Slight learning curve with 5th wheel.

Now for my experience; I prefer a 5th wheel 100%, but I full time so my needs are different. If I were just headed out to a deer lease a few times a year with daytrip travel times, I'd probably lean bumper pull. If any far travel distances were involved and there were lots of hills and turns, or I were using the trailer frequently, I'd go 5th wheel.

HTH

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR
    Last edited by A.Texas.Yankee; 09-07-2021 at 06:33 AM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Hope the following helps. I try to compare facts first then experiences afterwards.

Pros:

You will get more room for your trailer length with a 5th wheel due to the cab over truck bed.

You will get better handling with the 5th wheel in nearly all conditions.

Better turning radius with a 5th wheel for those moments you need to cut hard angles.

Usually 5th wheels are more stable walking around inside and feel less like a boat at dock.

Cons:

You will lose truckbed space and access due to 5th wheel hitch.

5th wheel usually has entrance higher off ground which can be a pro and a con.

5th wheels are generally taller and will catch more trees on hunting grounds (and low bridges on the way there).

Generally more expensive than similar bumper pulls.

Slight learning curve with 5th wheel.

Now for my experience; I prefer a 5th wheel 100%, but I full time so my needs are different. If I were just headed out to a deer lease a few times a year with daytrip travel times, I'd probably lean bumper pull. If any far travel distances were involved and there were lots of hills and turns, or I were using the trailer frequently, I'd go 5th wheel.

HTH

Newly full timing in our 2021 Momentum 395MS-R with our tow pig being a 2021 F-450 KR
    Great P/C list! One thing that could be a non-factor - 5er hitch. Goosebox leaves your best clear and totally a bolt-on with zero warranty debate from anyone involved and if within the TH's pin weight. Otherwise, there is the GenY goose that can be used at significantly higher loading, but they there's the debate over frame warranty because GenY refuses to pay to play.

BTW - @A.Texas.Yankee - nice combination you have there!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Great P/C list! One thing that could be a non-factor - 5er hitch. Goosebox leaves your best clear and totally a bolt-on with zero warranty debate from anyone involved and if within the TH's pin weight. Otherwise, there is the GenY goose that can be used at significantly higher loading, but they there's the debate over frame warranty because GenY refuses to pay to play.

BTW - @A.Texas.Yankee - nice combination you have there!!
    Thank you, and the Goosebox is a good one. Can't do it on my unit since Reese hasn't come out with a heavier duty unit, and one that will let me do 90° + turns (not often but have had to do it) without hitting the rail (which I just found out my new MORryde does ever so slightly). Would be nice to save some space in the bed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast