Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to RVing, did I buy a lemon?`

I recently purchased a 2021 Momentum 31G. I must confess that I did not do all the research that I should have and did not ask all I should have from the dealership. I looked at 3 different dealers and did some research online and decided on the 31G because my wife has Parkinson's disease and is in a wheelchair. I want to convert the garage into a handicap accessible bedroom for her. I need to modify the bathroom by widening the doorway so we can get her to the toilet and at some point hope to install a roll in shower.

I signed a purchase agreement on Aug 13th, went in on the 25th to complete the paperwork - at this time the salesman told me there was an issue with the water heater and they were working on getting warranty approval from Grand Design. OK, I can understand an issue like that.

On Sept 1st I went in to pick up the trailer and was told that they are still waiting on the warranty approval - I told them maybe I should not have purchased a Grand Design if it takes that long to get warranty work approved and then how much longer to it actually gets fixed. They said that was normal for the trailer industry and Grand Design is one of the better manufacturers.

After I brought the trailer home I emailed the service advisor asking for documentation on the water heater issue. She emailed back a list of 3 other warranty issues (WO attached) , one of which looks like it was fixed. The other 2 are "water leak in front cap interior wall" and "water all over unit, both slides are leaking". Those issues have notes on recommendations to fix but says nothing about the repairs being completed. The salesman is in Denver this week and I wanted to get all my ducks in a row before going in to speak with him and a manager.

(Edit: This issue fixed, I found the blown fuse, was not labeled properly in my opinion.) I've been in the process of stocking the trailer and had the slides and awning in and out several times. Yesterday I moved the slides in and then got the awning about 1/2 way in and it stopped. Now neither slide or the awning will move, I manually retracted the awning. Fuses look good and the lights still come on.

It seems like way too many problems for a new trailer. I don't believe Montana has a lemon law for towed RVs. Any recommendations on how to proceed with the dealer would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JANS WO 161132.pdf  
    Last edited by Stevej72; 09-06-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: new info

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to RVing, did I buy a lemon?`

Does it leak?

This looks like fraud
    Sounds like the dealer submitted to Grand Design multiple hours for warranty

I would definitely contact management and hear what they say and then also tell them you are contacting Grand Design

Btw why are you putting the slides in and out many times?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, I'll add that to my list of things to discuss.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevej72 View Post
    Sounds good, I'll add that to my list of things to discuss.
    Why are you putting the slides and awning in and out many times?

Are you hooked up to ac power?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Why are you putting the slides and awning in and out many times?

Are you hooked up to ac power?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I've only put the bed slide out once and the couch one I put out once a day when I'm working in the trailer. The awning was only out once to test it. I did finally find a blown fuse when I went through testing them all with a meter. Not sure why a fuse would blow though, something in the awning drawing too much current but will have to get dealer to check it out.

.Working on battery with solar panel. Also had the generator on to test it one time.
    Last edited by Stevej72; 09-06-2021 at 12:56 PM. Reason: more info

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take it step by step and be careful not to overreact. Ask the dealer to explain what's been done.

I would suggest you go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb in the meantime.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I would take it step by step and be careful not to overreact. Ask the dealer to explain what's been done.

I would suggest you go over the trailer with a fine tooth comb in the meantime.
    I will do that, thank you!