User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motion sensor light by door

So there is this cute little motion-sensitive light near the door on our 2021/2022 310GK-R. It seems like a good idea but it is seriously over-active, turning on at random times day or night - to the point that it is becoming annoying. I'm willing to attempt modifications - I know a bit about electronics - just trying to figure out how to access it. I tried gently pulling on the cover and I suspect that it just snaps off but I didn't want to break it. Anybody managed to get inside this thing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR_Light_by_Door.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	36520
    Dan & Connie

Current Rig: 2022 GD Solitude 310GK-R / 2020 F-350 PSD CC LB SRW
    Previous: 2007 Montana Mountaineer 32 PHD / 2011 F-250 CC LB SRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repeat topic from before.

The black did you see around the light is just a thin plastic bezel. You can pop it off very easily with a pocket knife. Once you do that you will find four screws holding the light to the wall.

instead of messing with electronics. I saw the problem with a piece of neoprene that I cut from a mouse pad. I poke two holes in the mouse bed that was cut to fit so that it would flop over the sensor. The holes were spaced to correspond to the top screws on the fixture on the wall. Screwed it back on and popped the bezel back in place and that was done. Works great.

I uploaded a picture, but it came up and posted it upside down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 74C73FA1-785C-4140-88C7-F5D937A6FB52.jpg  
    Last edited by MccNeo; 09-06-2021 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Add picture for clarity
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde IS, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I suspected it would pop off but didn't want to push my luck. Your fix sounds just fine. I may try to 'tune' it with a filter, just for fun. It's actually kind of nice when it comes on as you enter the coach at night, just don't like it going on so randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Repeat topic from before.

The black did you see around the light is just a thin plastic bezel. You can pop it off very easily with a pocket knife. Once you do that you will find four screws holding the light to the wall.

instead of messing with electronics. I saw the problem with a piece of neoprene that I cut from a mouse pad. I poke two holes in the mouse bed that was cut to fit so that it would flop over the sensor. The holes were spaced to correspond to the top screws on the fixture on the wall. Screwed it back on and popped the bezel back in place and that was done. Works great.

I uploaded a picture, but it came up and posted it upside down.
    Dan & Connie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluger View Post
    Thanks! I suspected it would pop off but didn't want to push my luck. Your fix sounds just fine. I may try to 'tune' it with a filter, just for fun. It's actually kind of nice when it comes on as you enter the coach at night, just don't like it going on so randomly.
    Okay, I'm going to go geek on all y'all...

If you want to "tune" that sensor, you might have to redesign the circuit. That component is called a PIR sensor, and the output side of it should feed into a chip, possibly an LM311. (Although it might be a PIC (programmable IC).). If it's a solid state component (even a surface mount one, you should be able to change the input resistor to a slightly higher value, or add a filter capacitor to the power side of the chip.

PIRs are fickle components and usually require "tuning" if you are a custom engineer. Mass produced devices are "close enough" and many will exhibit the symptoms you described. Something you might want to try is use a small piece of electrical tape and block about half of the top of the sensor and see if that might help. Good luck and let us know how you hack it!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark. 'Tuning' in this case could be anything from messing with the electronics to a piece of tape over the sensor as suggested or even replacing the unit with a blank cover plate. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, I'm going to go geek on all y'all...

If you want to "tune" that sensor, you might have to redesign the circuit. That component is called a PIR sensor, and the output side of it should feed into a chip, possibly an LM311. (Although it might be a PIC (programmable IC).). If it's a solid state component (even a surface mount one, you should be able to change the input resistor to a slightly higher value, or add a filter capacitor to the power side of the chip.

PIRs are fickle components and usually require "tuning" if you are a custom engineer. Mass produced devices are "close enough" and many will exhibit the symptoms you described. Something you might want to try is use a small piece of electrical tape and block about half of the top of the sensor and see if that might help. Good luck and let us know how you hack it!

Dan & Connie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark. 'Tuning' in this case could be anything from messing with the electronics to a piece of tape over the sensor as suggested or even replacing the unit with a blank cover plate. Cheers.
    [emoji106] Thanks for clarifying... As a person who designs and builds circuits, tuning has a whole different breaking to be, obviously!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't going to admit I'm a retired EE. Maybe I can jam a raspberry pi 0W in the hole and put it on the network!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    [emoji106] Thanks for clarifying... As a person who designs and builds circuits, tuning has a whole different breaking to be, obviously!

Dan & Connie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't going to admit I'm a retired EE. Maybe I can jam a raspberry pi 0W in the hole and put it on the network!
    Lol! The bag is out of the cart, now! ...Errr... [emoji16]