User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about rail trails to bike on or slow moving water to kayak or lake?
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Kentucky river is just what you describe. Like paddling a long, skinny lake. The Palisades at Nicholasville is worth a trip. Plenty of places in Kentucky for flat water paddling.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    How about rail trails to bike on or slow moving water to kayak or lake?
    There are many, many lakes to paddle on. Some of our favorites are Grayson, Taylorsville, Guist, Kincaid, Yatesville and Greenbo. As mentioned the Kentucky River has some nice places. One of our favorite trips is to put in near Wilmore and paddle about a mile up to the Dix River. You can then go up the Dix almost to the dam for Herrington Lake. The Dix is a beautiful river.

The only rails to trails I can think of is the Dawkins trail in eastern Kentucky. A good trail but it is cinder base. Lexington has the Legacy trail and Louisville has a number of trails including a long one in the Parklands.
    2018 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the KY Camper, I feel like I have to chime in, but this will be Lexington area focused:
    Hike: Def the Gorge. Natural Bridge is the tourist draw, but get the Hiking Project App and check out the hundreds of other trails. We like the Tar Ridge area. If you are into climbing or want to try it, the Gorge is a true destination. Miguel's is the go to place to eat there. It get's busy, so going mid-week is best.
    Pinnacles in Berea is also a great easy hike with great views. Papaleno's in Berea is the must try. (KY does have more than pizza, but I guess not in hiking areas...)

Paddle: Palisades on KY River is beautiful, but in general the River itself is pretty green.... I think Laurel Lake is the clearest of all the KY lakes. A few good campgrounds there too that I won't name check.
    A lot of people like to paddle the Elkhorn. Putting in Frankfort is popular.

Bike: Legacy trail in Lexington takes you from downtown to the Horsepark through some great KY horst farms, especially past the interstate. I'd probably park at lot off of exit 115 and head towards the Horsepark.
    If you do MTN Biking, Capital View in Frankfort has nice views and some fun features.

Eat: Coles 735 is the best fine dining with great specials. Carson's is also quite good. For Steak Houses, Malone's a great value. Tate's Creek location is the best original. Doodles is a must for breakfast. Lots of other great places in Lex.

Beer: West 6th, Blue Stallion, Country Boy in G-town.

Bourbon: Beautiful Grounds: Woodford Reserve, Castle and Key.

Toyota is def not offering tours again yet w/ Covid situation.

Eat Beer Cheese. KY's Best Hot w/ the mouse on the top is my fav (I'm a no mayo Beer Cheese guy).

These might be fighting words, but Keeneland is much better than Churchill Downs. It's grounds are beautiful and racing is only in Spring and Fall. Races start 10/8. Even if you don't like betting, the grounds are worth it.

There's probably a lot more I'm leaving off.... Have fun...
    Gus & Em
    2020.5 311BHS *Now w/ Disc Brakes from Stopyourtrailer.com
    2013 F250 6.7L Long Bed (200k+ and strong) w/ 5k airbag system

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advise. I found some info before I asked the forum. Nice to get feedback and inside advise. Appreciate it. Leaving upstate NY in a week and hitting Lake Erie and Ohio then Kentucky. Hope to see some great fall color!
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite Kentucky visits were, Old Friends Equine near Georgetown. It's home if many retired race horses. Ark Encounter and Creation Museum near Williams, and Maker's Mark Tour. Kentucky has lots of beautiful places to visit.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great list, going to save this thread for future reference. The one add I have is the KY Historical Center in Frankfort, with great info on KY and local historian Thomas D. Clarke. While in Frankfort, worth taking a swing through the Frankfort Cemetery and having a gander at Daniel Boone's purported gravesite. It overlooks the KY River and is truly scenic, especially in the fall ...
    Dave Gaines
    Kentucky Gentleman Farmer
    1997 F-350 Quad Cab
    2020 Grand Design 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be staying near Salvisa (not far from Lexington) for a month.

Wondering best places to eat, see, hike, kayak and bicycling.

I have a list but would love insider/local thoughts.

Month of October.

Thanks.
    Good day! We just spent 3-days in Lexington and loved the variety of things to do. We didn't have our camper on this trip, though.

1. Kentucky Horse Park is a must to see. It is about 15-20 miles north on I-75. You might also check out the RV park. No sewer, but a beautiful RV Park.
    2. The Ark Encounter - Forget all the negative things that has been written. This is definitely a must see. It is massive and they have done an excellent job of explaining what is believed to be what life was like on the ark. Plan on 3 to three hours to really tour the whole facility.
    3. Keeneland Horse park - If you like horse races and they are running, a great place to visit.
    4. George Town - North on I-75 about 30 miles north of Lexington. Beautiful little town with a lot of antique shops
    5. Distillery Tour - A short ride will west and south and you are in whiskey distillers heaven. This you will need to look on the internet for the Distillery or Whiskey Tour in Kentucky. Most have tours of their operations.
    6. Elizabeth Town - Another nice little town which offers much to see and do. Need to Google.
    Food
    There are plenty of places to eat depending on what you want. We went to the Merrick Inn one evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. A little on the high end, but great food and service.

You won't go wrong around Lexington. Enjoy your visit.
    2019 303 RLS Reflection 5er (nickname - Coyote)
    2019 F250 Lariat FX4 CC SRW 160" WB, (nickname - Silverback) 6.7L diesel, 3.55 gears, 10K GVWR, 20" wheels, Tow Package, B&W Champion Slider
    Dennis, Judy, and Shelby (Lab-Rhodesian Ridgeback)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just came back from a trip to Eastern Kentucky. Stayed at Buckhorn Lake State Resort. Highly recommend. Old style National Park architecture overlooking Buckhorn Lake. Also recommend the Boone Parkway ( some portions have been renamed the Hal Rogers Parkway, to get to Buckhorn Lake. Also recommend Cumberland Falls State Park. Check out Kentuckytourism.com for more ideas.
    Shawn

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advise. I found some info before I asked the forum. Nice to get feedback and inside advise. Appreciate it. Leaving upstate NY in a week and hitting Lake Erie and Ohio then Kentucky. Hope to see some great fall color!
    Where in upstate NY? I'm originally from Troy, NY.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast