Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Questions

2017 Reflection 303rls
    2019 Ram 2500 mega cab diesel

Bought the trailer about two months ago, haven’t been able to hit the road yet but plan to in a couple weeks. I decided to shoot some grease into the bearings for good measure and saw grease fittings on the suspension. These fittings were somewhat difficult to get grease into but I got a little in each one. When under trailer I noticed wires going into the back of the hubs on the trailers left side, the wires on the right side coming out of the hubs were not connected to anything and actually had caps on them. I’m assuming these are wires to activate the brakes? If so how are the right sides being activated if wires are not connected to anything? Thanks

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlatham View Post
    2017 Reflection 303rls
    2019 Ram 2500 mega cab diesel

Bought the trailer about two months ago, haven’t been able to hit the road yet but plan to in a couple weeks. I decided to shoot some grease into the bearings for good measure and saw grease fittings on the suspension. These fittings were somewhat difficult to get grease into but I got a little in each one. When under trailer I noticed wires going into the back of the hubs on the trailers left side, the wires on the right side coming out of the hubs were not connected to anything and actually had caps on them. I’m assuming these are wires to activate the brakes? If so how are the right sides being activated if wires are not connected to anything? Thanks
    Short answer: they probably are not activating. Then only way to tell is to pull the tire and hub and look.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check to see if the magnet is actuating when the brake is engaged. Spin the wheel and see what happens when the brake is applied. Or you could use an DC ampmeter
    and see what it says when the brake is actuated. Some brakes are connected through the axle, but having wires come out is kind of odd IMO anyway.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently heard of a good way of checking if magnets are getting voltage. Hold a compass near the drum and the magnets should pull the needle some. I haven't tried it yet but makes sense. Very quick test if works.
    2020 Reflection 273MK