Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry 2019 Roof detached

I think I’m getting the shaft from Grand Design! 2019 GD 290BH. In June I climbed up on the roof to clean out the A/C and inspected the roof, which everything looked good. A week later we towed it 450 miles back home. The next day I climbed up on the roof to wash it and noticed the roof came detached at the front transition strip. I immediately contacted GD and they started a case, wanted pictures, and told me to schedule service, which I did. Took 18 days to get in and another 14 days in the shop. The shop had me pay for the repairs since I did not purchase the RV there (we bought it on a whim in another state far away from home) and I would get a refund from GD. I recently contacted GD again and was told the case is denied due to maintenance. Grand Design warranty department Matt Simon now says according to the pictures I sent him back in June, there isn’t any new sealant on it. He also said it looks like the sealant has never been replaced. I didn’t know we were supposed to add or replace the sealant if there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong. The repair bill came to $695.17. I have maticulously maintained this RV from day one: pack bearings, grease suspension, clean/inspect roof, ect…

-The sealant does not hold the membrane down, the transition strip does

-The tech mentioned on the bill that that the “membrane has pulled out from under the transition strip” and “added more adhesive”.

Another 2019 GD with a bad roof from the factory!

Grand Design is saying air got in the seam and loosened the membrane which caused it to bubble up. No $h1t It was just fine before I drove it home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6659.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	36560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6717.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	36561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6667.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	36562

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went up on my 2021 and gooped Dicor in many places including the front cap
    Trailer was only a few months old and I found places that I thought could use some more

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine didn't. it was fine!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you refer your issue to Mr. Michael J. Happe, CEO at Winnebago Industries? He's at Box 152, Forest City, IA 50436. The switchboard at headquarters is 952-829-8600.

CEO's don't like to deal with customer complaints, even if they're reasonable.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I think i will.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, there wasn't nearly enough sealant originally. My Momentum has a 3-4" wide very thick band completly covering the transistion strip, overlapping it on both sides.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, but if GD thinks it's good enough, who am I to question a multi-million dollar company that has put a lot of time and research into sealing seams. I have honored the warranty by inspecting them regularly, to which I found no maintenance required.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flygooy View Post
    I recently contacted GD again and was told the case is denied due to maintenance. Grand Design warranty department Matt Simon now says according to the pictures I sent him back in June, there isn’t any new sealant on it. He also said it looks like the sealant has never been replaced. I didn’t know we were supposed to add or replace the sealant if there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6659.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	36560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6717.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	36561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6667.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	36562
    Would it be possible to find out where this requirement of sealing is specified? What product is to be used? How could they tell from a picture that sealing had not been applied?

I called Alpha, the company that makes the roof membrane on my 2020 model, and they said to only wash with mild detergent.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be on the side of caution, I have our trailer inspected top to bottom in late winter before we go on our annual long trip south. Axles, brakes, frame, roof, tires, gas lines, furnace, AC, everything but the plumbing (which is still winterized) get checked out. I have the the GD dealer where I bought it do the inspection. On the roof there has always some spot where sealant has cracked and has to be reapplied. This summer I found spots on the sides where sealant was needed as well. If no sealant was applied to the roof since 2019.... I think you might have a problem...
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The roof membrane is coming loose, which tore the front sealant while driving. However Grand Design is going with the "I didn't maintain my RV properly" catch-all I have heard on these forum all to many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast