User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizers

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Steadyfast stabilizer system on our 295RL. Similar to the JT Strongarm system and the MorRyde x-brace system, but with a slightly different configuration and stronger than the JT Installation (unless you bulk up the center mounting location). Does it completely eliminate movement? No - but it reduces it by 90+%. The remaining movement seems to be at the rear of the trailer, and we’re considering adding the MorRyde hitch brace to augment it; the two, together should eliminate all movement. My cousin has the complete MorRyde x-brace system, with the hitch mount stabilizer, and loves it.
    Just my 2 cents worth…
    Mike

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo024 View Post
    Do the Anderson strong arm stabilizer make much of a difference and do any use the tripod pin stabilizer. If so do you find a significant difference in the feel inside the trailer

Thanks
    Steve
    We use the tripod under the pin box mainly to take out some of the shimmy of the washer/dryer. Other than that I'm not sure it helps much. We also recently picked up the Morryde stabilizer that mounts in the 2" receiver on the back and that thing - it makes a world of difference! I'd say get that for sure and if you have a washer/dryer up in the nose cap the tripod will help.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the king pin tripod stabilizer and I can say for sure it absolutely does help. My wife is on the closet side of our bed and I could always tell when she got up during the night to use the bathroom. With the stabilizer properly installed there is almost no movement of the front end! I don't install it for short weekend trips but anytime that we are staying 4 or more nights it gets put on. I keep mine in the front storage compartment in a zippered bag from Camping World....it takes all but 5 minutes to install.

https://www.carid.com/bal/fastjack-f...8aAj7mEALw_wcB
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 09-15-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the MorRyde version of the strong arms. No longer use the tripod. They do make a difference. I also have the Valterra stabilizers that go in the rear and under the door. Definitely helps. A pain to get under there and hook up the ratchet straps.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the JT Strong Arms on our 295RL. Made quite a diffenrence. I also added the Lippert 4 point Auto Leveling. Between the 2, get very little movement. Would recommend the JT kit, it was easy to install on our 5er.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the full front and rear JT strong arm kit is the way to go. Install one time and then no more setting up. Thanks for all your help
    Steve & Kelli
    2017 F250 King Ranch
    2016 Reflection 303rls #7017
    Pullrite 16k superglide
    English Cream Retriever - Tucker
    Golden Doodle - Blaze

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    What specifically makes the king pin tripod a waste of money? I am thinking of buying one.

Coops
    I’ll try to explain the mechanics of these options in simple terms.
    The stabilizers on your rig are vertical columns that have limited lateral stability.
    Imagine a wooden chair with 4 legs that don’t have the cross bars halfway up the legs. The chair is going to be wobbly. That’s a generalization of your rig without additional support.

A tripod with its three ‘angled’ legs does provide some lateral support. But that support is at ‘one’ point of the RV. It helps, but only so much.
    One of the mechanical advantages of a tripod is the support point is far away from the center of the rig. The ‘lever arm’ is long therefore a little force on the tripod can counteract larger forces towards the center of the rig. But a tripod is still just supporting one point.

Valterra ratchet strap stabilizers work in a similar fashion. One on the back of a rig uses the ‘lever arm’ advantage as well.

JT Strongarms give all 4 stabilizers lateral and front-back stability. You take the 4 legs of the chair and make them not wobbly.

Look at a tripod or valterra from a strength perspective, then look at the weight/strength of a strongarm. Strongarms are stout by themselves. Then realize the strongarm doesn’t work by itself. It’s is reinforcing a vertically stout stabilizer. The strong arm is the winner.

I apologize if that explanation was overkill. I’ve obviously thought about this, and finally decided to put it into writing.

I’m going to keep talking… but the following is more my personal ‘opinion’.

I’ve never used a tripod.

I’ve used a valterra on the back of my rig, and liked the results. I have a bunkhouse in the back of my 5er. Back stability helps with the kids moving around.

I now have JT Strongarms. Love them. Started with them just on the front, and that was a huge improvement. Added them to the back because of the bunkhouse.
    I think if you just have one bedroom in the front, the front Strongarms may be enough. They will provide more stability than a tripod. And the front Strongarms are easier to install than the back ones (assuming your undercarriage has a cover)

I did notice an improvement when going from front Strongarms + back Valterra to Strongarms all around.

That was more than 2 cents.
    Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great explanation. Makes total sense. Thank you. So I hadn’t thought about that. Where do you secure the rear arms. Maybe I’ll start with the front.

Thanks
    Steve & Kelli
    2017 F250 King Ranch
    2016 Reflection 303rls #7017
    Pullrite 16k superglide
    English Cream Retriever - Tucker
    Golden Doodle - Blaze

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the trailers require you to fab up an arrangement to attach the JT Strongarm to, in the rear. I had to do that with my Fuzion. Not too difficult, and worth the effort.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo024 View Post
    Sounds like the full front and rear JT strong arm kit is the way to go. Install one time and then no more setting up. Thanks for all your help
    not exactly true... you still have to crawl underneath and tighten them at 2 spots for each corner. Then you have to crawl back under and loosen them BEFORE you raise any of your stabilizer jacks. Might be worth it if you have a bunk house full of kids jumping around.... not worth the effort or extra work for two senior adults.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast