Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understanding my solar numbers?

We usually drycamp in Upstate NY. I installed 3 X 100 Renogy panels mounted on the roof of my 2800bh, and a 30 amp Rover MPPT controller with 2 6V Deka batteries and a 3100w Champion generator. As we are often in shaded sites I have my panels wired parallel.
    I am a relatively novice at solar and I really don't want to know any more than I have to but I'm curious about some of my numbers.
    I ran 10 gauge wire from the roof to the controller in my pass through with a 30 amp breaker on both the solar and battery line. I believe I'm getting decent power from my setup as I've seen up to 260 watts on my panels while sitting in my driveway in full sun. I'm satisfied with the setup as it helps to lessen my my dependence on the generator.

My confusion is the numbers for my battery. I see where people claim that their batteries may have reached 100% by noon (or some other random time) with their solar. If I'm in full sun, my controller will indicate 13.8v and 100% at 8:00am. Now I know my battery isn't at 100% at 8:00 so I'm assuming it's reading the voltage as it actually exists through the solar and/or generator and not the true battery voltage. By the end of the day, when my batteries are in float mode, if I turn off my solar, my batteries will drop from 13.5 (+-) and 100% to 12.7 (+-) and 78%(+-).

I think everything's working as it should but is 12.7 or 12.8 my 100%? Right now, I'm assuming that when my controller goes into float mode that I'm at 100% but it's really 78%?
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbsrsr View Post
    We usually drycamp in Upstate NY. I installed 3 X 100 Renogy panels mounted on the roof of my 2800bh, and a 30 amp Rover MPPT controller with 2 6V Deka batteries and a 3100w Champion generator. As we are often in shaded sites I have my panels wired parallel.
    I am a relatively novice at solar and I really don't want to know any more than I have to but I'm curious about some of my numbers.
    I ran 10 gauge wire from the roof to the controller in my pass through with a 30 amp breaker on both the solar and battery line. I believe I'm getting decent power from my setup as I've seen up to 260 watts on my panels while sitting in my driveway in full sun. I'm satisfied with the setup as it helps to lessen my my dependence on the generator.

My confusion is the numbers for my battery. I see where people claim that their batteries may have reached 100% by noon (or some other random time) with their solar. If I'm in full sun, my controller will indicate 13.8v and 100% at 8:00am. Now I know my battery isn't at 100% at 8:00 so I'm assuming it's reading the voltage as it actually exists through the solar and/or generator and not the true battery voltage. By the end of the day, when my batteries are in float mode, if I turn off my solar, my batteries will drop from 13.5 (+-) and 100% to 12.7 (+-) and 78%(+-).

I think everything's working as it should but is 12.7 or 12.8 my 100%? Right now, I'm assuming that when my controller goes into float mode that I'm at 100% but it's really 78%?
    The charge controller is reading the voltage being provided to the battery(ies). To get a good understanding of the state of your battery bank, I recommend installing a battery monitor, like any of the Victron BMV's. BMV-702, BMV-712, etc. That will give you the best indication on your battery bank.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbsrsr View Post

That's about par for 6v lead acid run in series. What do you have your settings at for the charge controller? My charge controller floats about 13.1v but acid is usually considered fully charged at 12.7v. Check you battery specs for manufacturer recommended voltages.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    The charge controller is reading the voltage being provided to the battery(ies). To get a good understanding of the state of your battery bank, I recommend installing a battery monitor, like any of the Victron BMV's. BMV-702, BMV-712, etc. That will give you the best indication on your battery bank.

I agree, voltage alone is not enough to determine battery State of Charge (SOC).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    That's about par for 6v lead acid run in series. What do you have your settings at for the charge controller? My charge controller floats about 13.1v but acid is usually considered fully charged at 12.7v. Check you battery specs for manufacturer recommended voltages.

I finally got a chance to check my settings. Being a novice, I have not made any changes to the defaults on my Rover controller. It shows a battery parameter of float charge volt as 13.8. As I stated earlier, as far as I can tell, I think(?) I'm getting satisfactory performance out of my system. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how the numbers are working. Out of curiosity a battery monitor could be in my future as others have suggested.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH